Author Topic: Feel very frustrated.  (Read 858 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Feel very frustrated.
« on: 12:34:37, 01/03/20 »
There's been very little snow and no skiing so far this season. Over the last week things have begun to change. There's now some great skiing at both Glencoe and Glen Shee. I've been stuck at work until the weekend. Yesterday I had to get a tyre changed, so couldn't go. Got up at half five to drive to Glen Shee. But, the Spittle of Glen Shee snow gates were closed. Glencoe is closed due to high winds.

The Glen Shee road opened at ten, too late to make it worth going. No doubt they'll be five days of good weather until the next storm.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Feel very frustrated.
« Reply #1 on: 12:48:57, 01/03/20 »
I feel your pain Owen. 

Though yesterday and today, the weather has been pretty decent (in a really windy but not raining sort of way) and, surprise, surprise, I had to be at work for the afternoon/evening shift yesterday and some family commitments this morning.  Leaving me with from now until dark to get a Mellie-Mooch in.  Yet another local walk it is then.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:18:18, 01/03/20 »
Frustrating, being chained to work whilst the weather is decent, only for a storm to roll in at the weekend, or to be tied up with other commitments (as I am quite likely to be next Saturday).

One of the advantages of taking early retirement is that I have no such worries, and can take advantage of weather windows (as I did this Wednesday) [/smugface]
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:05:29, 01/03/20 »
Well you can take your [/smugface] and .....  :D   :P

But yeah, the weather does seem to be playing a cruel game with the gainfully employed Top Grafters at the moment.  Can't complain at this afty's weather though.  Just had a nice wander on Paull Foreshore in the sun/cloud/sleet/sun/hail/wind and repeat.  Blew the cobwebs away  :)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:32:53, 01/03/20 »

One of the advantages of taking early retirement is that I have no such worries, and can take advantage of weather windows (as I did this Wednesday) [/smugface]

You can go off people you know.

Unfortunately I have three years and eight months to go before I will be such a happy position. (Not that I'm counting you understand).

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:34:42, 01/03/20 »
There's been very little snow and no skiing so far this season. Over the last week things have begun to change. There's now some great skiing at both Glencoe and Glen Shee. I've been stuck at work until the weekend. Yesterday I had to get a tyre changed, so couldn't go. Got up at half five to drive to Glen Shee. But, the Spittle of Glen Shee snow gates were closed. Glencoe is closed due to high winds.

The Glen Shee road opened at ten, too late to make it worth going. No doubt they'll be five days of good weather until the next storm.

It's pretty non stop at the moment. As someone who almost exclusively walks at weekends I'm thoroughly sick of shocking weather, though there has been a glimmer lately of making the best of it.

I've got next Friday off so I'm waiting for the next named storm to be announced as arriving just about then  ;D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:40:29, 01/03/20 »
I've got next Friday off so I'm waiting for the next named storm to be announced as arriving just about then  ;D

Oh god don't even say that in jest!  ;D 

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:59:27, 01/03/20 »
We are getting fed up with the weather at weekends too  :(

Too windy again today for us to want go up any fells.

The weather looks pretty good for the week and weekend ahead mind, Cheviots here we come on Friday  :)
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:19:43, 01/03/20 »
I am managing to sneak out in the lulls for short trips.  My frustration is we lost a slate in Ciara and we haven't had a lull dry enough and calm enough to get a tradesman up there.  Right up the ridge, no a diy job.

Back to Owen's thread.  I know the feeling, watching the snowline come down, seeing fresh powder and being unable to get at it.  Bit oh the joy when you do succeed and put first tracks down a run!  By best ever being first to a wood full of champagne powder and getting first tracks down it - thigh deep too!
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:47:27, 01/03/20 »

Back to Owen's thread.  I know the feeling, watching the snowline come down, seeing fresh powder and being unable to get at it.  Bit oh the joy when you do succeed and put first tracks down a run!  By best ever being first to a wood full of champagne powder and getting first tracks down it - thigh deep too!

You wouldn't be talking about Scotland then.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:28:09, 01/03/20 »
You wouldn't be talking about Scotland then.
Definitely not.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:32:46, 01/03/20 »
Two years ago we had fantastic powder snow in Aberdeenshire. The cats thought it was great fun. However, that was the only time we have had such conditions in 22 years.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:59:54, 01/03/20 »
Happily though still with a few years left at, work, we work flexible hours. O0

This means, as Mrs G works the evening shift Mondays, I usually work a double shift.  Then take a couple of àfternoons off when the weather looks good for walking and head up on the moors. :)

I may be a little odd, but I enjoy the storms. I used to surf on the days with the largest swells and that usually meant wind and rain too.  Saturday I walked up to a sheltered spot on Sharp tor and just sat there for nearly two hours, enjoying the solitude and watching the hail blow through the valley over to Bearah tor.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy