« Reply #90 on: 22:47:32, 06/09/19 »
« Last Edit: 22:50:38, 06/09/19 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

jontea

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C
« Reply #91 on: 09:41:21, 07/09/19 »
Return trip (not literally this time I hope!) now planned for early March  O0

Glad to hear it's back on for you Jon, hope it's not too icy over the high ground. Wish you all the very best  O0    
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 13:07:00, 07/09/19 »
Cheers  O0
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 21:58:34, 12/09/19 »
Are you doing the Spine as a warm up? ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: 23:18:48, 12/09/19 »
No, I've withdrawn from that, after my fall I didn't feel I had enough time to prepare  :(
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: 18:27:17, 05/01/20 »
Accommodation all now booked and my route practically settled.  Unlike last time I'm intending to avoid Red Pike (!) and instead of staying at Ennerdale Bridge am spending the first night at Gillerthwaite, which will leave me with only 9 miles or so on the second day. I'll climb from there up towards Scarth Gap, on the map it appears there is a path that goes around the south of Haystacks rather than me having to climb all the way to the col and then face the scramble up Haystacks. Is anyone able to confirm if the map is correct and what that route is like as an alternative to the scramble up from Scarth Gap?
Where there's a will ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: 21:38:28, 06/01/20 »
Sussamb, do you mean the path that goes by the Black Sail Youth Hostel and then up by Loft Beck? There is a path there, I have used the path as far as The Tongue but ascended up The Tongue to get to Moses Trod. I don't know what the Loft Beck path is like but I have seen other people going up it. It looks quite steep. The path up The Tongue is more gradual although a bit longer than the Loft Beck route to get to Honister. 
Hate will never win

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #97 on: 21:46:34, 06/01/20 »
I think I've walked up that route. I came out of Black Sail, turned left and in a short while turned uphill left again, Fairly steep but no real bother, flattens out at the top and it slowly descends to the area near the slate mine.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: 23:08:51, 06/01/20 »
Sussamb, do you mean the path that goes by the Black Sail Youth Hostel and then up by Loft Beck? There is a path there, I have used the path as far as The Tongue but ascended up The Tongue to get to Moses Trod. I don't know what the Loft Beck path is like but I have seen other people going up it. It looks quite steep. The path up The Tongue is more gradual although a bit longer than the Loft Beck route to get to Honister.

Nope, it starts at around NY189131 to the south of Scarth Gap then goes around Haystacks to the south of it before joining the Loft Beck route after Blackbeck Tarn.
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #99 on: 23:11:12, 06/01/20 »
I think I've walked up that route. I came out of Black Sail, turned left and in a short while turned uphill left again, Fairly steep but no real bother, flattens out at the top and it slowly descends to the area near the slate mine.

That's the Loft Beck route, but I'm hoping to try the route described in my post above in reply to April.
Where there's a will ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #100 on: 08:04:03, 07/01/20 »
Hi sussamb, I realise now the Loft Beck route is the low level C2C route and you would know about it already  ::)  :-[

Looking on an older paper map I can see a trace of a path starting at the grid ref you mention but on a newer version of the map it is showing as a fence. From Haystacks summit we have walked near and alongside that fence when we have explored Haystacks summit area and there is a trod of a path. I don't know if this path starts alongside it from near Scarth Gap mind. At least I've not noticed one. There are a few paths and trods to explore across the summit away from the main path; we have been to see Wainwrights perched boulder a few times and been on some of the other little tops. In Wainwrights The Western Fells (second edition revised by Chris Jesty) he does indicate a route that goes through scree and avoids the scrambly bit but he recommends using the usual route from Scarth Gap. I do remember reading somewhere years ago there is (or was) a path avoiding the scrambly bit but I haven't looked for it because I'm not fond of scree.

I see you are starting in early March so we may have recce to see if we can find that path, I feel like having a bit of an explore up there :) Squeaky hasn't done Haystacks yet so we may go up there if there is some nice weather in the next few weeks.
Hate will never win

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: 08:47:31, 07/01/20 »
Thanks for that, if you do manage to 'explore' would be useful to know what you find  O0
Where there's a will ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #102 on: 19:21:09, 07/01/20 »
I will take some pics too if we find a practicable route  :)

I don't think we will be going this weekend mind, the wind is forecasted to be 40 - 55 mph on Haystacks on Saturday  ;D
Hate will never win

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #103 on: 22:55:35, 07/01/20 »
Slight breeze  ;D
Where there's a will ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #104 on: 23:01:37, 07/01/20 »
 ;D