Author Topic: I've developed a foot problem!  (Read 1871 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I've developed a foot problem!
« on: 18:14:35, 30/06/18 »
Having just got rid of a leg problem which plaueged me for four months I was annoyed on the last 2 days of my recent hike to discover that I have now developed a feet problem.

As I walked towards the end of the trail I started to notice that my feet were 'burning' and felt really uncomfortable under the ball of each foot, at the point where the bone is taking weight on my Sorbothane inserts. I've never experience this before, caused by getting older perhaps?

At first I thought I was developing blisters so I kept stopping, looking at my feet, wetting them, drying them, wiggling the skin around, changing my socks and so on, but I soon discounted this. Eventually, I realised it was the bone at the base of each foot, they felt 'bruised.' When I pressed my finger on each bone I knew, because of the increasing tenderness, that I have developed a new problem to overcome. I couldn't solve the problem there, I just had to walk on to the end, but now that I am home I'm thinking about what the answer might be?

My boots are well shaped now and fit me like a glove, so at the moment I'm not thinking that they are the culprits so for the moment will not be replacing them.

I met a farmer a few years ago who told me that due to his, from birth, poor feet bone layout he always bought inserts and then drilled 1cm holes throught them at the bone point to create a small gap between the surface of the insert and the surface of the boot sole. He was always on his feet and claimed that this solution worked for him. I might consider giving this a try?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: I've developed a foot problem!
« Reply #1 on: 18:27:36, 30/06/18 »
How old are your insoles and how many miles would you say they have done? Might be the cushioning has gone.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

rambling oldie

« Reply #2 on: 19:52:00, 30/06/18 »
As I've mentioned on some other threads, well worth getting your GP to refer you to a proper (NHS) podiatrist.  My doctor said "they understand the pressure points better than we do"

Result - diagnosis in a few minutes, corrective inserts provided, awkward problem solved

Feet are funny things, so many different possibilities of what can be wrong. Let the experts have a go!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:59:11, 30/06/18 »
Wot they both said above ^^^^^^

In addition, it could be the beginnings of metatarsalgia.  Prolonged walking on hard, compacted ground can cause a mild / temporary case of it.

But still, wot they both said above  O0

Beth FF

« Reply #4 on: 12:51:24, 01/07/18 »
I recently had an appointment with a physio as I wanted to find the cause (and treatment of, obviously) of a tenderness on the ball of my right foot, pain in my right quad that develops after about 5 hilly miles, as well as a general MOT of my biomechanics in preparation for my endurance walk. He tested my strength and flexibility and diagnosed an issue with one of the glute muscles in my right side, which was slightly weaker than the left, and was causing the issue with my quad and most likely the issue with my foot (which was tightness in my plantar fascia tissue, something we tend to associate with pain in the heels). Have some simple exercises to do and already seeing an improvement. So what I'm trying to say is, and you may well already know this, but a problem in one part of the body could be caused by an issue somewhere else that just throws things out of alignment slightly a bit further along the chain.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:03:45, 07/07/18 »
I’ve had general aches and pains for several years often put down to my age and the menopause. I’ve always been a bit flatfooted but after I developed a pain below my toes on my left foot the GP referred me to the NHS podiatrist. At this point a general ache in my right hip had developed into more of a pain and I was even limping a bit when it was really bad. The podiatrist diagnosed not only flat feet but collapsed transverse arches, and capsulitis (a bit like mortons neuroma) on my left foot. I now have inserts for my shoes. These problems may or may not have caused the hip problem.

The hip problem didn’t clear up, an X ray didn’t show anything - at least no arthritis, so the GP then referred me to the NHS physio (this was a Wednesday and my local surgery had an appt free for the following Monday so more praise for the NHS!). She diagnosed Gluteal Tendinopathy (possibly another name for sore buttocks!) and gave me lots of exercises to do. I have been doing these religiously for nearly 3 weeks and there is a definite improvement (I know from past experience with a shoulder problem they work if you keep at it). Hopefully our few days next week in the lakes won’t set me back but I did tell the physio what I was planning and she said not ideal timing but to go ahead but listen to my body.

The hip problem was probably not caused by the foot problem but it most likely has made it worse. So I agree with Beth, quite often feet can cause problems anywhere else in your body.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:14:46, 07/07/18 »
After my recent feet problems, burning sensation over the balls of the feet and specific tenderness at the boney point on each foot I decided to buy new boots. No idea if this is a good idea but I will learn one way or the other over the next week or two.

I decided not to buy expensive boots, just 'cheap' ones from Decathlon. From my experience the idea you 'get what you pay for is just plain nonsense, I've paid out the big money before and have always been disappointed!

Troggy

« Reply #7 on: 06:58:47, 08/07/18 »
Gunwharfman, I hope youget/have got, it sorted. I've have a real problem with both big toes but especially the right one. I can understand that they've took a battering over the years (playing footie for deades, ill fitting shoes boots and cramming feet into footwear that says the shoe/boot is the right size for me.
 Anyway, the end result is the right toe is a bit nightmare now; and has been for years. It's so sensitive around the top end and inner side of the nail, that I can't bear for long, any thing (even a sock being slightly tight.
 So I'm going to do what a number of folk have suggested and that is see if the Doctor will refer me to a Podiatrist. I've had some problems sorted by going to a podiatrist privately (nails growing into the side of both big toes) but this right one is still causing gyp. I now mainly go for sandals and have got a couiple of pairs of waterproof socks fopr a s and when we have rain (what!!! rain! forgot what it was.)I got put off asking my GP years ago because he wouldn't even look at my feet! He reckoned the BMA had advised doctors not to look at feet! The next time I asked a locum who'd arrived and he asked what did I expect regarding fungal infections when we wear shoes and socks all the time.
I understand there will be quite a wait but I think I think it's well worth the wait if there's a chance of getting this problem sorted out. Sorry to have gone on but it's probably very common with walkers especially, that having foot complaints become more and more magnified as time goes on.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:07:45, 08/07/18 »
Troggy depending on where you live (I’m in Suffolk) you may be able to refer yourslf to both the NHS physio and podiatrist

Troggy

« Reply #9 on: 07:22:47, 08/07/18 »
Rural Roamer, many thanks for that advice. I'll try the doctor's this week or whenever I can get an appointment then see what happens from there; and might come back to you if I get the bums rush.

Troggy

« Reply #10 on: 07:24:03, 08/07/18 »
PS I live in an inner city part of Liverpool, so I'm thinking there'll be quite a wait.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:44:58, 08/07/18 »
Rural Roamer, many thanks for that advice. I'll try the doctor's this week or whenever I can get an appointment then see what happens from there; and might come back to you if I get the bums rush.

I thought you had a 'toe' problem not diarrhoea, and if you do have that problem, why bring it back for Rural Roamer ?

Troggy

« Reply #12 on: 08:18:52, 09/07/18 »
haha.Witty man. if only that was the case. Regarding coming back to |rural romer, I'd message him for info about how to self refer, that's all.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:54:05, 09/07/18 »
My feet problems have now self healed. But I'm hoping that with my new boots, a couple of soft pads to cover the balls of my feet and a new pair of Sorbothanes my 'issue' will not return. I will only know for sure when I go on my next hike. not sure when this will be, its so exiting at home at the moment with, Brexit, resignations, boys in a cave, football, wimbledon, Mr Trumps visit and so on. Reminds me of the series with Keifer Suthland, '24', its none stop, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next exciting moment!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:03:33, 09/07/18 »

....its so exiting at home at the moment with, Brexit, resignations, boys in a cave, football, wimbledon, Mr Trumps visit and so on. Reminds me of the series with Keifer Suthland, '24', its none stop, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next exciting moment!

Please.  Go out for a walk and try out your new footwear  :D   

Glad your foot problem has sorted itself out though  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy