Author Topic: Lightweight Boots - suggestions please  (Read 2359 times)

wadsy

Lightweight Boots - suggestions please
« on: 10:25:25, 04/07/20 »
Hi

Just joined and looking for guidance for some lightweight boots.

I can't walk much due to ill health (about 15mins/day)

I'm looking for some boots that are comfortable like trainers!....and are waterproof.

I tried some Salomon XA Elevate GTX (shoes I know) via mail order, initially a size 8, but too tight, so tried the 8.5, but still a bit tight width-wise. I also thought they probably were a bit firm; not enough cushioning.

I know ideally I'd go to a shop to try on, but due to above mentioned health issues, that's very difficult.

I have a pair of old Merrell Moab mids in 8.5 that are a reasonable fit (but leak) and also a pair of New Balance All terrain trainers in an 8 which are fine too!

Any suggestions most welcome please O0

Cheers
Martin

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Lightweight Boots - suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: 10:42:09, 04/07/20 »
Out of interest, why boots as opposed to shoes?
Solvitur Ambulando

watershed

« Reply #2 on: 12:50:37, 04/07/20 »
Hi Wadsy welcome to the forum.
I use Salomon 3 GTX boots and have used the same type for over 4000 miles.
They are extremely comfortable and light.
a pair of size 8.5 weigh 895 grams.
I also have the shoe version for general wear.
I find the boot a more comfortable fit for walking as the ankle helps with the total overall fit compared to a shoe.
I have a pair of Merrell Moab shoes too but find that they are definitely a lower grade shoe in comparison with the Salomon.
They are water proof. The earlier Salomon 2 that preceded this model was excellent but I found they lost its waterproofing at about 250-300 miles. the newer 3 seems to last longer 400-500 miles when moving through wet vegetation. They are still ok on the road or tracks longer than this.
You can order them in a wider fitting if you find them a bit tight.
https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/salomon-x-ultra-3-mid-goretex-wide-fit/136857203/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=7070038&country=uk&msclkid=ae672299cbbf1a1b114e7d996eee9742&gclid=COfs6q_6s-oCFVhmGwodMXIPkA&gclsrc=ds
I am currently using a wider fitting pair, As I ordered them for when I am carrying camping equipment in Summer to allow for swelling of my feet. they are only subtly wider, which is exactly what I need.
Normally without carrying a load I use the standard boot.
If you search around the net you can usually get them at a discount. The last pair I got were for <£100, but son has commandeered them. So I am looking and seeing a pair at the moment on Amazon for £104
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071LJSC53?tag=outdoocom-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
Ideally you should try a pair on before buying.
I find they fit true to my size
« Last Edit: 16:56:28, 04/07/20 by watershed »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:55:23, 04/07/20 »
I found Merrell Moans were the only lighter weight boot that was wide enough for my feet and I tried on pretty much every boot in about 6 different outdoor shops. Even then I needed a UK size 12, although officially I am a size 11. I have found them comfortable and they haven’t leaked yet, although I haven’t worn them in a downpour yet.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:11:14, 04/07/20 »
I've had a real struggle to find boots that will fit, until I came across Merrell MOAB 2  Mid.

For me they are comfortable and light, although have shoe size 12 had to go up to size 14.

Happy with them so have another spare pair.

wadsy

« Reply #5 on: 18:29:04, 04/07/20 »
Out of interest, why boots as opposed to shoes?

I may look for some shoes as well, but have been wearing my NB AT trainers for walking when dry, so looking at boots as more of a wetter weather option and general walking into autumn/winter.

wadsy

« Reply #6 on: 18:31:14, 04/07/20 »
Hi Wadsy welcome to the forum.
I use Salomon 3 GTX boots and have used the same type for over 4000 miles.
They are extremely comfortable and light.
a pair of size 8.5 weigh 895 grams.
I also have the shoe version for general wear.
I find the boot a more comfortable fit for walking as the ankle helps with the total overall fit compared to a shoe.
I have a pair of Merrell Moab shoes too but find that they are definitely a lower grade shoe in comparison with the Salomon.
They are water proof. The earlier Salomon 2 that preceded this model was excellent but I found they lost its waterproofing at about 250-300 miles. the newer 3 seems to last longer 400-500 miles when moving through wet vegetation. They are still ok on the road or tracks longer than this.
You can order them in a wider fitting if you find them a bit tight.

I am currently using a wider fitting pair, As I ordered them for when I am carrying camping equipment in Summer to allow for swelling of my feet. they are only subtly wider, which is exactly what I need.
Normally without carrying a load I use the standard boot.
If you search around the net you can usually get them at a discount. The last pair I got were for <£100, but son has commandeered them. So I am looking and seeing a pair at the moment on Amazon for £104

Ideally you should try a pair on before buying.
I find they fit true to my size

Thanks, and thanks for your reply  :)

That's interesting, I wasn't aware they came in a wider fitting, so maybe an 8.5 wide may suit me  O0

Cheers

wadsy

« Reply #7 on: 18:32:04, 04/07/20 »
I found Merrell Moans were the only lighter weight boot that was wide enough for my feet and I tried on pretty much every boot in about 6 different outdoor shops. Even then I needed a UK size 12, although officially I am a size 11. I have found them comfortable and they haven’t leaked yet, although I haven’t worn them in a downpour yet.

Thanks for your reply  O0

wadsy

« Reply #8 on: 18:33:54, 04/07/20 »
Are the boots suggested above: Salomon and Merrell, like a boot-trainer?...I'm thinking of the comfort my trainers have.

I found the Salomon shoes I tried that I mentioned above felt rather firm.

Cheers

watershed

« Reply #9 on: 18:49:03, 04/07/20 »
Are the boots suggested above: Salomon and Merrell, like a boot-trainer?...I'm thinking of the comfort my trainers have.

Cheers

Hi Wadsy, if you click on the links I put in my last post you can get a picture of them. the Salomons are a short light weight boot.
You can get them  as a shoe as well.
the Salomon XA Elevate GTX has a different sole to the ones I use, but I can't say whether they are firmer or not as I haven't worn them.

A boot that is often recommended as a comfortable sole is the HOKA ONE.
I haven't worn them but have a read of the write up.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/shoes-and-boots/best-hiking-boots

« Last Edit: 18:56:03, 04/07/20 by watershed »

wadsy

« Reply #10 on: 18:52:31, 04/07/20 »

Cheers

Hi Wadsy, if you click on the links I put in my last post you can get a picture of them. the Salomons are a short light weight boot.
You can get them  as a shoe as well.

Thanks, yes, I had looked at those thank you.

I was wondering about the level of cushioning as I found the Salomon XA shoes I tried rather firm.

Cheers

watershed

« Reply #11 on: 19:24:10, 04/07/20 »
I find then very comfortable but we are all different, so I am afraid it is difficult to advise on that Wadsy, having not tried the Salomon XA shoes for comparison.
I certainly find them much more comfortable than my first boots which were Scarpa Terra 11's, they were solid/awful.

As I say the HOKA ONE seems to have a very comfortable sole, but only wearing them will prove if they are suitable for you.
I found this web site that does free delivery and returns, but they are expensive.
https://www.hokaoneone.eu/en/gb/men-mountain/sky-kaha-gore-tex/1112030.html

see more reviews on this link
https://www.cleverhiker.com/best-hiking-boots-men

wadsy

« Reply #12 on: 18:08:23, 06/07/20 »
Thanks for all the input  O0

I've just mail-ordered some Salomon 3 GTX in the wide fitting to try.

Hope they fit ok!

Cheers

wadsy

« Reply #13 on: 12:17:38, 09/07/20 »

Do the Merrells come in a wider fitting, or is it a standard size?

Cheers

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:49:52, 09/07/20 »
A few mentions of Merrell Moab above. I'm browsing the market for new boots myself, though not till towards the end of the year, and I have discounted them because I have read that they do not have a bellows tongue and therefore are not waterproof.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy