Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276101 times)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #405 on: 20:00:48, 27/09/17 »
I went a circular walk from Newhaven today, following the Sussex Ouse Valley Way to Southease and then the South Downs Way to Beddingham Hill, from where I walked along downland paths back to Newhaven.  The views were panoramic but it was rather hazy.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #406 on: 22:17:05, 27/09/17 »
....... Trying to find all the quiet, more hidden paths around the Haddon and Chatsworth Estates.....

Pleased to say that the walk went very well today and was enjoyed by everyone who came along O0
As predicted, we hardly saw another soul for the whole 13 miles....apart from at the little cafe/tea room in Beeley.
Autumn colours are starting to appear in the trees now too 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #407 on: 21:13:40, 28/09/17 »
Lovely walk on Dartmoor today.  Impromptu day off, so I grabbed my boots and ruck sack and headed up to Sourton, thinking I would climb Yes Tor.  Red flags on the Oakhampton Range, so a quick rethink and I headed south to Green Tor via Kitty Tor.  Then across the Dunnagoats and up to Great Links Tor, for a stop and a few butties, what a great view there is from there.  Finally I took the track back down to Sourton Tor and my little car.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #408 on: 11:37:23, 03/10/17 »
Last Thursday Mrs BWW drove me up to Sheffield, she seems to like to get behind the wheel of the car and I am a far better back seat driver than she is. I had booked into a posh pub B&B overnight, as we had a family memorial service to attend on Friday. Some subtle tweaks 'to her who must be obeyed' in that sat nav box. found us in a car park just under Stanage Edge. Now the last time I was there I was climbing rather hard, gritty problems with a gang of likely lads out of Liverpool.

But that was 55 years ago, but 1.5 miles along the top and back along the bottom of the edge made for a pleasant stretch, sadly not as long as i would have liked, but the traffic through Stoke and surrounding area was a nightmare, fortunately my driver thought that Stanage Edge was worth all the hassle of the drive and my rather extravagant choice of Geerwurstraminer with an excellent seafood starter to Pizza, went unnoticed, apart from this is rather nice wine.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #409 on: 19:41:06, 03/10/17 »
I went a walk from the village of Burwash in the Sussex High Weald today.  A gorgeous walk in lush, hilly, wooded countryside with fine views.  So beautiful    :)    but very muddy!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #410 on: 21:12:46, 04/10/17 »
Cromford Canal, High Peak Trail, Black Rocks, Middleton, Bonsall & the Heights Of Abraham for me tomorrow.  A recce for a walk I'm leading on the 21st. :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #411 on: 23:55:50, 04/10/17 »
A quick stroll on Bodmin moor this evening. Minions to Sharp Tor Via Stow hill home of the Cheesering and back.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #412 on: 07:50:28, 05/10/17 »
Lovely walk on the far side (of the Tamar) yesterday through the woods, around the mining area and along the river by Gunnislake.
Absolutely excellent coffee and cakes that beat any the Nat. Trust ones - better, bigger and cheaper, mmmm Lemon Drizzle - in the Tamar Trails cafe - up the hill on the Devon side O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #413 on: 08:23:14, 05/10/17 »
If the weather forecast holds I am going to do the Snowdon horseshoe I haven't done it in a while or a lot of walking on the mountains for that matter 😊

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #414 on: 16:07:05, 05/10/17 »
Lovely walk on the far side (of the Tamar) yesterday through the woods, around the mining area and along the river by Gunnislake.
Absolutely excellent coffee and cakes that beat any the Nat. Trust ones - better, bigger and cheaper, mmmm Lemon Drizzle - in the Tamar Trails cafe - up the hill on the Devon side O0

Can't believe I've not found that cafe.  I can feel a visit coming on. :)

I just had a look on Bing Maps. Can you walk the trails on that side of the river?  I have walked the trails on the Cornish side, between Horse Bridge, Gunnislake and Calstock.  But I thought it was all private land on the Devon side.
« Last Edit: 16:17:54, 05/10/17 by BuzyG »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #415 on: 16:37:30, 05/10/17 »

Can't believe I've not found that cafe.  I can feel a visit coming on. :)

I just had a look on Bing Maps. Can you walk the trails on that side of the river?  I have walked the trails on the Cornish side, between Horse Bridge, Gunnislake and Calstock.  But I thought it was all private land on the Devon side.

Here's the link. There are trails through the woods and leading down to the river.The carpark is £2 all day. We walked on both sides of the river and of the main road yesterday.

Super friendly people.

http://www.tamartrails.co.uk/

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #416 on: 19:47:03, 05/10/17 »
I walked from Uckfield to Buxted Park today, taking in some of the Wealdway and some of the Vanguard Way.  A very pretty walk in lush, undulating countryside with patches of woodland.  Warm and sunny    :)

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #417 on: 17:49:11, 13/10/17 »
 ;D Yesterday I did a circular walk through Lyme Park .  Checked out Lyme hall ,
 As It was
Lovely sunny and dry .  Followed the Gritstone trail  upto East Lodge  towards Disley to where the trail narrows into an old packhorse route became undulating and very muddy then around the Reservoirs until I picked up the North Cheshire way  trail back to the Cage where I came across a folly which had a panoramic view of Cheshire and North Wales In the distance . Then back towards the main park and followed the track back to Higher Poynton near the Macclesfield canal  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #418 on: 19:57:11, 16/10/17 »
I walked in Leechpool and Owlbeech Woods on the outskirts of Horsham today, a landscape of hilly ghyll woodland and heathland on the fringes of the High Weald.  Despite the proximity of the urban environment, there was something of an atmosphere of remoteness.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #419 on: 21:03:32, 16/10/17 »
I'm in Spain at the moment and have used the app Wikilocs every day. Such an easy way to find a hike every day. I think a few residents here (Calpe) spend a lot of their time doing the initial walk for which I for one am very great full.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy