Author Topic: Midges  (Read 8543 times)

Mr Sam

Re: Midges
« Reply #15 on: 17:34:14, 04/04/08 »
Sorry for bringing up a dead thread however I want to ask something.

Why is it some people are less bothered by midgies than others?
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:27:48, 04/04/08 »
Nobody should take any notice at all of what I'm about to say because its highly likely to be a pile of dingo's doo doos....

But maybe there's two or three different things at play in the fact that some people get more affected than others and these are (not in order!)

1) Its similar, in some way, to how people react to bee or wasp stings or nettles - it bothers some people more than others because they're more likeley to react in a bad and itchy sort of way (at worst, they can get a shock reaction and die)

2) Some people just dont like insects crawling about on them whilst others are less bothered - only the girl midgies take a nip - the boys just wander about in your ears and on your arms, forehead, and any other bit of exposed flesh and do buzzing noises till the girls have had their blood meal, then bingo! nooky time (or does this happen before the blood slurping??) ie They're mostly not biting at all, just waiting for a bit of hokey-pokey with a fully-fed woman midgie

3) Midgies are, apparently, attracted by plumes of carbon dioxide exhuded (now there's a word to play with!) in the breath of  mammals. IPSO FATSO, if the smell of carbon dioxide could be disguised in some way - eg by large amounts of cheap whisky, bacon butties or strong tobacco,  then maybe the midglelies would go somewhere else. This theory is plainly [censored]***x because carbon dioxide doesnt smell.

Incidentally, I did notice that shortly after de-fleaing my dawg with  some proprietry de-flea powder, that any midgies than landed on him died almost immediately, and formed a small, grey pile around him on Rannoch Station (the midgie capital of the world)  It could be that if you were to cover yourself in this stuff, that whilst you'd still be bitten, you'd have the satisfaction of watching your tormentors die in their thousands.  A combination of skin-so-soft and flea-away (not for humans) plus a shot or two of Old Lochaber and lemonade and a pipeful of St Bruno may well be the perfect combination. Or you could just stay in the pub with the doors and windows closed up tight.

Just remember, though, that without the midgie, we'd never have had the highland fling.
« Last Edit: 23:29:22, 04/04/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

walkerswelcome

« Reply #17 on: 21:41:30, 27/08/08 »
I suggest walking east Scotland when the midge are doing their worst in the west.
No reports of them over the last ten years on the Cateran trail - a five night serviced walk taking in Alyth, Blairgowrie, Bridge of Cally, Glenshee, Kirkmichael and Glenisla.
The scenery is fantastic.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy