Author Topic: Altitude Apps  (Read 889 times)

Davidedgarjones

Altitude Apps
« on: 10:02:58, 18/04/19 »
Can anyone recommend an Android app for altitude? Have looked on the Google Playstore and see that there are 6 on offer. It might be useful to get a more precise idea of the total ascent for walks that I am leading.Dave

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Altitude Apps
« Reply #1 on: 10:21:42, 18/04/19 »
ViewRanger records distance gone and height gain.  It also provides elevation profiles, speed v time and distance v time graphs.
The problem with all such apps is they use gps data which is not that reliable for altitude although VR isn’t that bad at smoothing it.
A non Android method is to import your gps trace into GoogleEarth.  Right click on the trace in the overlay window will enable you to bring up an elevation profile plus associated stats.
Solvitur Ambulando

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #2 on: 20:16:12, 18/04/19 »
Thnks for your reply. I might have said that I do have an OS map subscription, which gives me a gradient profile for any of my saved routes. What I feel would be more useful is a total based on the significant ascents rather than the larger number which would add in the minor altitude variations. When recceing a group walk I could then take altitude readings from the bottom and top of each climb.
Dave

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:39:50, 18/04/19 »
Never tried it but VR can have an additional trip field to show current altitude so you could note your height at the bottom and top of climbs.  https://support.viewranger.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=53
If you record your route on a phone or gps device you can analyse the climbs you are interested using the altitude read out from the elevation profile using VR, the OS website or GoogleEarth.  You can do this from your armchair by running the cursor along the profile.  GE will also give you a gradient readout.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:42:39, 18/04/19 »
Never tried it but VR can have an additional trip field to show current altitude so you could note your height at the bottom and top of climbs.

If you're recording a trace and have the map locked then the cursor follows your position so the current altitude is displayed in the top left (after the coordinates).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy