Author Topic: Honister Zip Wire proposal  (Read 28999 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Honister Zip Wire proposal
« Reply #150 on: 18:03:15, 09/02/19 »
Image may contain: text

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #151 on: 18:04:09, 09/02/19 »
I didn't want to loose it again.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #153 on: 10:25:43, 26/02/19 »
Morning all

I attended the NoGo Gondola meeting at Braithwaite last night.  It was quite an interesting evening, held to discuss the current timetable and the campaigns being planned.  I know many are following this, but thought it might be useful to summarise here.

The next draft of the LDNPA plan is to be released, on their website, on Friday (1 March), and this will be the executive's preferred plan.  It is anticipated that this will include the gondola.

On 6 March LDNPA are meeting with NoGo and, separately with the local councils.

On 11 March there is a meeting  of the Strategy and Vision (what vision!) committee which handles the plan, prior to it being put to the full 23 member executive on 20 March.  After that there is an 8 week consultation period after which the Sec of State will either approve or reject the plan.  Everyone who cares about this should be taking action asap - time is running out.

NoGo are planning to release proforma letters, to be edited by the sender (or not), and email addresses of the 23 members of the executive committee so that as many people as possible can register their displeasure.  I think anyone who hasn't already done so needs to register with NoGo through their website, in order to receive these communications.

There is also a planned demonstration on the 20th at Kendal - there are buses being laid on from Braithwaite.  Again - NoGo are asking people to register to attend.  The group also has some other, not as yet definite plans, to attempt to demonstrate the impact of the infrastructure on the locality and on the views from all surrounding fells.  They are also discussing the issue with other pressure groups around the Lakes.

One of the things which was also discussed was why the LDNPA are, effectively, acting as gamekeeper and poacher here - after all they are responsible for planning approval, and yet are putting forward their own plan.  There was a great deal of cynicism regarding Leafe et al, and their vested interests.  Apparently a study has shown that foreign visitors spend a deal more cash per head per week, than UK visitors.  However, foreign visitors generally do not venture north of Dunmail Raise, and this gondola is seen as an attempt to encourage them to do so, in order to turn Keswick into a new Windermere/Bowness.  There was discussion of the intention to build a skyline restaurant at Hospital Planation - half way up Grisedale Pike for god's sake!

The meeting was pretty well attended, and I was made to feel very welcome, I was even offered a hug for driving so far to attend!

There is more on the NoGoGondola.org site.

Paul
« Last Edit: 10:53:03, 26/02/19 by pdstsp »

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #154 on: 11:10:21, 26/02/19 »
Thanks for the update Paul, beggars belief that it's got this far.
Not all those who wander are lost

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #155 on: 12:17:07, 26/02/19 »
Thanks for this pdstsp, you deserve more than a hug for driving so far for the meeting  O0

We must do everything we can to stop this utterly mad proposal   :(
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #156 on: 14:05:12, 26/02/19 »
Thanks for the report, and good for you for making it there.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #157 on: 14:34:07, 26/02/19 »
Thanks for this pdstsp, you deserve more than a hug for driving so far for the meeting  O0

We must do everything we can to stop this utterly mad proposal   :(

Not sure they were offering more than a hug - it didn't seem that kind of meeting  :-* ;D

Completely agree that we need to act.  One of the other points raised, by one of the Keswick councillors, was that the costs for each stage of the development would be in the region of €10million - at this level of outlay, it seems entirely possible that the venture would fail, leaving a rusting pile of metal across the fells.

Thanks Strider - I don't think you could make it up - it's unbelievable, but the LDNPA seem pretty hell bent on it at the moment.  It's being sold on the basis being a sustainable transport solution to the congestion in Braithwaite, particularly the narrows lust after the Royal Oak, but, as many said, the congestion in Keswick is far far worse than Braithwaite.  Personally I have been held up for a couple of minutes, but not more, in Braithwaite, but I have spend many half hours inching through Keswick after a day in Borrowdale.

Cheers Ridge - I did have a bit of an ulterior motive - I am doing an evening course in photography, and wanted some sunset shots and star shots, as this weeks homework was slow shutter speeds.  It was a lovely evening to watch the sun go down over Cat Bells and Derwent Water, attend the meeting, and then take some star shots from the road to Whinlatter.  Unfortunately the star shots are, without exception, cr@p.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #158 on: 18:36:54, 26/02/19 »
Not sure they were offering more than a hug - it didn't seem that kind of meeting  :-* ;D

Ya bogger  ;D

I am doing an evening course in photography, and wanted some sunset shots and star shots, as this weeks homework was slow shutter speeds.  It was a lovely evening to watch the sun go down over Cat Bells and Derwent Water, attend the meeting, and then take some star shots from the road to Whinlatter.  Unfortunately the star shots are, without exception, cr@p.

:) We want pics  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #159 on: 20:55:21, 26/02/19 »
Should you wish to support the NoGo Gondala campaign then you can join here in about 4 seconds for a total of no money.

https://www.nogogondola.org/join-nogogondola

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #160 on: 08:49:30, 27/02/19 »
Thanks for posting the link Ridge  :)

Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #161 on: 13:25:32, 27/02/19 »

:) We want pics  :)

The world is not ready yet.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #162 on: 13:29:52, 27/02/19 »
 ;D
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #163 on: 08:16:51, 02/03/19 »
Press release is on the LDNPA site.  It says specific reference to a gondola has been removed, following consultation, which is good.  Then it says a future developer would need to consider one ,whichv is bad. Haven't read the whole doc as I am away, but first impression is this is a small improvement, but not what we all wanted.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #164 on: 07:39:22, 03/03/19 »
Press release is on the LDNPA site.

"As the planning authority we would expect a developer to consider all community impacts and access options whether by gondola, low-emission vehicles, or other means before submitting a detailed planning application."

Park and ride with electric busses would be a lot better environmentally, visually, practically and financially than a high impact vanity project like gondolas.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy