Author Topic: What are the dotted lines on ViewRanger satellite view?  (Read 4570 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
I don't think the dotted lines are paths but something else. At NY 31567 00674 there is a dotted line, on the OpenCycleMap there is a path there but I can't see it on satellite view just the dotted line. What are the dotted lines? Is it a path? I think there might be a path there but it was obscured by a shadow.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: What are the dotted lines on ViewRanger satellite view?
« Reply #1 on: 17:23:18, 14/04/19 »
I reckon it's a path.

MarkT

« Reply #2 on: 17:33:52, 14/04/19 »
What does it show on an OS Map? As that will be your correct answer.  I have found a few paths on Viewranger that aren't on OS Maps so I don't trust the app. (I don't pay for Premium)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:44:58, 14/04/19 »
This link to VR's map legend may help

https://www.openstreetmap.org/key

(it can be found in VR - support - map legends)

I find VR's maps tend to show additional paths which are on the ground but aren't necessarily a "green dot or dashed right of way". 

Dread

« Reply #4 on: 17:48:21, 14/04/19 »
I'm pretty sure that the VR satellite view is the same as Google maps in which case dotted lines are supposed to be paths. It is definitely worth checking on a proper map though.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:52:55, 14/04/19 »
I know on some of my guide books it usually means it’s a path but maybe not something you would visibly see.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:53:39, 14/04/19 »
What does it show on an OS Map? As that will be your correct answer.  I have found a few paths on Viewranger that aren't on OS Maps so I don't trust the app. (I don't pay for Premium)

I've come across paths that aren't on OS Maps. I've also come to what was a black dashed path on OS Maps and no such path existed on the ground. Same with the green rights of way. I have premium ViewRanger so I can see OS mapping within the app and looking at it, it has a more obvious path maybe I'll play safe and plot that route rather than the OpenCycleMap route. Or I could turn up on the ground and find out I suppose  :)

Thanks Dread. I can't work out what I'm looking at on satellite, doesn't look like a path but Google Satellite and OpenCycleMap think there's one there (and maybe Mel too, though she may have meant it's supposed to be a path).

Cheers Mel and bricam2096  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:01:25, 14/04/19 »
I've just realised, that fell is within Open Access land so the place will be riddled with paths and sheep trods on the ground which won't be shown on the map (High Rigg is similar - loads of visible paths on the ground once you're there but nowt on OS maps, a little more on the open street mapping which google satellite uses).

So yeah, turn up.  Set off.  Head uphill on whatever path you find until you get to the top  O0

Oh, black dashed lines on OS maps (1:25k) are boundaries of some sort, not paths.  Fainter black/grey dotted lines are paths on the ground which aren't rights of way (sometimes they are overlaid with the green RoW lines though).

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:02:46, 14/04/19 »
I would put money on it being a path on the ground  O0   Different mapping applications have different mapping legends/keys.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:02:24, 14/04/19 »
I would put money on it being a path on the ground  O0   Different mapping applications have different mapping legends/keys.
  Mel is right - they are paths.  OS maps are not great for paths.  They show PROWs even when they only exist in the mind of city hall and they do not show a lot of the paths that have grown up by use , especially on Open Access Land.  Open Street and other maps used by ViewRanger gather data not only from maps but also from gps traces submitted by contributors so "unofficial" paths are often, but not always, shown too.
These days I start my planning with OS maps as they show which paths are rights of way what type of PROW they are.  OS maps also give me a good feel for hazards such as possible muddy bits and awkward water crossings.  I can then drop the gps file into an app such as VR and use its maps to refine my plan.  I might also put the gps trace onto GoogleEarth which will not only show me other paths but if the PROWs I am planning to use are actually there.
As I told somebody the other day - if you see a PROW on a OS map that runs smoothly in a straight line or steady curve across rough country it most likely isn't there.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:19:16, 14/04/19 »
Boundary or path?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:24:52, 14/04/19 »
Path

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:25:41, 14/04/19 »
Path.  The . . . . . .  is a Parish Boundary.  Got close to it once https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1912653/141007-Tarn-Hows
« Last Edit: 21:29:21, 14/04/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:30:46, 14/04/19 »
Black dashed path must be a bad way to describe it.

Thanks chaps.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy