Author Topic: Tips for LEJOG, please  (Read 9623 times)

AFANASIEW

Re: Tips for LEJOG, please
« Reply #15 on: 09:30:39, 29/03/18 »
Hmm, ninthace, Hawes to Keld is only a hop, whereas Horton to Thwaite would be quite a trial, I reckon. Plus I favour youth hostels wherever available, and I like Hawes generally - e.g. the chippie. I've stayed at the THI and it was ok, although I gather it's changed hands since 2015.
It's great to have Bowes as an option again, though, and useful for those happy to hop! I tend, in my excitement, to rise with the lark, which would put me in Keld by lunchtime with nowt to do.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #16 on: 09:46:49, 29/03/18 »
What a star, harland! Many thanks for your extensive accommodation list - it'll prove invaluable.
Curious to note that you didn't include St Briavels YHA though. Did you consider it too far off piste?

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:43:10, 29/03/18 »
The honest answer is that I can't really remember!  It isn't too far off Offa's Dyke but I guess that I discounted it for that reason, the other accommodations listed at St. Briavels were closer.  Alternatively I just missed it!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:10:03, 29/03/18 »
... and I like Hawes generally - e.g. the chippie.

Oh yes. Wonderful chippie  O0 O0 O0
Where there's a will ...

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:04:36, 29/03/18 »
John Hillaby's book Journey Through Britain was the inspiration for my trip. Just started reading it again for the nth time!

AFANASIEW

« Reply #20 on: 18:57:47, 29/03/18 »

Oh yes. Wonderful chippie  O0 O0 O0

Did you try the battered black pudding? Superb! Early preparation for battered Mars bar and Irn Bru later on the stroll!

AFANASIEW

« Reply #21 on: 19:03:24, 29/03/18 »
John Hillaby's book Journey Through Britain was the inspiration for my trip. Just started reading it again for the nth time!
He's certainly warned me off trying to wade the Hayle estuary. So did you have to resort to the bivvy bag, sparnel?

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:39:25, 30/03/18 »

Journey through Britain has always been one of my favourite books, to the extent that I recently bought a 2nd hand copy to replace the disintegrating one I have had for over 40 years.  I always planned to do a LEJOG one day.
Threads like this make me wonder if I could still do the walk, if I took my time.  I still spend bored winter evenings thinking up route plans.  I have a fancy to start at the Lizard and take in Dunnet Head though.
So I read all the advice on threads like this, and hope you will do some kind of TR or blog AFANASIEW, and let us know how you got on.  Not to mention add a few tips of your own.
Sparnel, did it work only booking accommodation a night or so ahead?  Did you end up bivvying a lot?

AFANASIEW

« Reply #23 on: 10:23:02, 30/03/18 »
So I... hope you will do some kind of TR or blog AFANASIEW, and let us know how you got on.  Not to mention add a few tips of your own.
Thanks for your interest, Islandplodder. I intend to continue with my 'White Acorns' blog, which started off as an account of my bid to complete the Pennine Way (at the 3rd attempt!), but which has morphed into coverage of my preparations for LEJOG.
I still regard myself as a novice long distance walker and, at my age, am still conflicted about the camping vs B&B question, so hope the description of my learning curve will help others in their kit acquisitions and overall preparations.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:06:20, 30/03/18 »
I bivvied a couple of timed and camped a few times. As long as you are prepared to go off your chosen route, you should find accomm. I didn't have an exact route but generally followed the central route by a guy who wrote a guide to that way - can't remember his name. Moxon?? I still give talks to guilds, rotary, etc on my walk. Folk seem to like hearing about it...........

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15:55:05, 02/04/18 »

I did it in two months with my dog a few years ago. My full pack including tent was 12Kgs most of the time - mainly due to the dog food. ;) . Only 8Kgs when no food or water This is my standard kit for multiweek LDPs

My route was slightly different to yours. I stayed in a bnb once every 7 to 10 days to clean up and pick up dog food and maps posted ahead by The Missus, but the choice was restricted because of the dog. I mainly camped.

When my poor old dog shuffles off this mortal coil I will be doing it again with another dog. I enjoy the company of a dog (rather than a person).

My main bit of advice (which worked for me) is write a schedule and stick to it.

Good luck!

AFANASIEW

« Reply #26 on: 16:56:26, 02/04/18 »

I did it in two months... Only 8Kgs when no food or water This is my standard kit for multiweek LDPs

Two months is pretty quick - what was your daily average, mananddog? 8Kg is a good weight for camping gear too - did your dog share the load?? I'd also be interested in your choice of footwear, since I'm currently casting around for a new pair to break in.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:34:22, 02/04/18 »
HI Mananddog

Was extremely interested on your 8kg kit.

You are probably aware but your site links are "variable" some work, some don't.
Probable that you no longer keep the sites up to date?

What sleeping bag and tent did you use?

Too little, too late, too bad......

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 07:51:38, 03/04/18 »

Sorry I don't bother with the blogs etc now since the dog stopped coming with me - I lost the desire to write about my trips. I still go as often as ever - more so because I have to take the dog on shorter trips as well as do my own solo trips

I did publish my kit on here but it has not changed much over the years and I am about to take pretty much the same gear on my next cross Scotland trip in 2 weeks.

The tent is a wild country laser 2 man - I needed a 2 man because of the dog and still use it because I appreciate the space

Sleeping bag was a Golite adrenalin 1 season - no longer available and it is a little cool for Scotland in April so I have a RAB Neutrino 400 now which is slightly heavier.

My total kit (and I might miss things off)
Pacific Outdoor ether mattress - a bit heavier than modern ones but very. very comfy.
Exped inflatable pillow
2 Ron hill tracksters
Long sleeved t-shirt - Nike
Short sleeved t-shirt RAB Meco
RAB fleece
2 pair of liner socks
2 pairs trekker socks
2 pairs undies (M+S)
RAB alpine light hoodie
Montane Precip jacket
Berghaus waterproof trousers (very light can't remember the name)
Titanium pot and mug
Titanium fork
Pocket rocket stove
lighter
Small bottle (50ml) of washing up liquid and half a pan scourer
toothbrush and small toothpaste
razor
Lightweight towel
Hand sanitiser
small soap
insect repellent
Phone
Satmap
Photocopied maps in case
Compass
Water tap water purifier/bottle
E-reader

Of course when I took  the dog he had a mat, bowl, toy, lead, harness all carried by me.
« Last Edit: 08:12:27, 03/04/18 by mananddog »

AFANASIEW

« Reply #29 on: 08:58:45, 03/04/18 »
Do you think there may be a gap in the market for dog panniers?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy