Author Topic: Exploring from Windermere using public transport  (Read 2177 times)

Carly86

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first time posting so thanks in advance. I'm heading to Windermere from Lincolnshire in August by train as I don't drive, ideally I'd like days walking at Great Gable and Helvellyn but the train fares are a bit too steep so I've had to go for the cheaper distance option and stay in Windermere which is obviously beautiful but miles from both locations, I can't quite get my head around the bus timetable I've downloaded, it makes it all the more difficult with this being my first trip to the Lakes and the taxi option seems extortionate (£120 both ways) but I've only checked an online quote site, I'd be really grateful if I could get any advice on public transport options, I've set my heart on Great Gable I just need help getting there.

Thanks, Carly

Pitboot

Re: Exploring from Windermere using public transport
« Reply #1 on: 09:41:48, 17/03/19 »
Bus to Keswick or Braithwaite, then taxi perhaps.

Or try Go4awalk.com and advertise for a car share or something like that, you may get lucky.

Hellvellyn is easier, take the 555 bus from Windermere to Keswick. There are numerous bus stops on the main road on the west side of the hill.

For the east side you need to get to Glenridding.
« Last Edit: 09:49:30, 17/03/19 by Pitboot »

Carly86

« Reply #2 on: 10:25:27, 17/03/19 »
Brilliant, I'll look into those routes.

Thanks you

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:08:16, 17/03/19 »
How long are you going for? If it's 3+days I would recommend looking in to getting a weekly pass - it's a couple of years ago but I paid £28 for a week which started saving money after 5 or so journeys. Stagecoach run almost all the Lake District buses, you can apply for their smartcard online and add a weekly pass before you travel. Might take a week or two for the card to come in the post.

For Helvellyn you want the 508 which will take you from Windermere to Glenridding over the Kirkstone Pass. As previously said the 555 will also get you within striking distance of Helvellyn (approaching it from the other side) but I think the best routes are from Glenridding.

For Great Gable you need to take the 555 all the way to Keswick then either the 77 or 78. The 78 runs as far as Seatoller from where Great Gable is accessible. The 77 runs in a circuit that goes over Honister Pass to Buttermere, then back to Keswick. If you get off at Honister you are nearer to Great Gable than you are at Seatoller.

If you get the bus from Windermere to Ambleside you can change for services that will take you to Coniston (505 I think) or Great Langdale (516).

Unless you want to get to Wasdale or Ennerdale the Lakes are very well served by buses in my opinion. When the summer timetable is announced you will be able to download a pdf of all Stagecoach's routes from their website. Someone on this forum will usually post a link to it so watch out for that.
« Last Edit: 16:20:08, 17/03/19 by Percy »

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:09:45, 17/03/19 »
Wasn't aware it's around £30 for a weekly pass - makes a difference if you want to avoid doing circulars and are prepared to set off at the crack of dawn.  Usually I love bombing up hills when it's still frosty and you're just getting a patch of sun, but being able to combine this over a few days to get to the start of different routes opens things up substantially.  Are any of the locals 'in the know' aware of bus services running to Ennerdale or Wasdale which don't take an absolute age from Penrith way?

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:12:58, 17/03/19 »

Carly86

« Reply #6 on: 17:55:39, 17/03/19 »
That's really helpful Percy, thank you. I think the stagecoach pass is definitely the option for me, unfortunately I'm only up for 4 days but I do plan to be up and out at the crack of dawn every day, hopefully the bus trips aren't too long but I'm sure the scenery will more than make up for it, just as long as I don't miss the last bus back  :( 

You definitely know your stuff, is there anywhere you'd recommend visiting in the Windermere area? I'm a nature girl and love taking photos, not one for Beatrix Potter world.

Again really appreciate the link and thanks for all the info  :D

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:10:35, 17/03/19 »
That's really helpful Percy, thank you. I think the stagecoach pass is definitely the option for me, unfortunately I'm only up for 4 days but I do plan to be up and out at the crack of dawn every day, hopefully the bus trips aren't too long but I'm sure the scenery will more than make up for it, just as long as I don't miss the last bus back  :( 

You definitely know your stuff, is there anywhere you'd recommend visiting in the Windermere area? I'm a nature girl and love taking photos, not one for Beatrix Potter world.

I'd get yourself up towards Loughrigg and Grasmere to the north west.  Windermere is lovely but it's incredibly busy, especially on weekends.  The further you push out the better.  Either have a little wander into Langdale and walk back by some of the quieter routes if you're comfortable using this, or head up Lough rigg, have a walk around Grasmere, grab some food and take loads of photos.  The lake side walk is lovely on a good day, albeit you'll only get it to yourself if you go early.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:25:35, 17/03/19 »

If you're there for 4 days then I'd say the weekly pass is a must.

I don't know Windermere that well but I would suggest walking up to Orrest Head for the views and photo opportunities - you'll find it about a kilometre due north from Windermere Station. It is where Wainwright fell in love with the Lakes.

Agree with forgotmyoldpassword - Grasmere (and Ambleside) are better starting points for walks and are a short bus ride away from Windermere and the service is pretty frequent.

Carly86

« Reply #9 on: 19:12:42, 17/03/19 »
This is fantastic, thank you both.

I picked Windermere mainly because of it's rail access, thanks to both of you I've now got lots more places to explore and photograph and the lovely quiet routes sound perfect. All for a much cheaper travel cost than I was expecting which is a huge bonus. I really appreciate all the info and advice, you've definitely put a smile on my face!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:34:41, 17/03/19 »
I know that the bus service from the railway to Keswick is fairly frequent and reliable, well it was when i last used it. Might I suggest that you use this mainroad bus link (Windermere to Keswick) as the baseline of any walks you plan to do. If it was me, I'd get off the train and on a bus to Grasmere/Ambleside and work my way to Keswick from there. En route there is the Fairfield Horseshoe and Hellvellyn plus the others that have been suggested. Personally, I would miss out Windermere completely.

photonut

« Reply #11 on: 20:20:41, 17/03/19 »
Carly,

You could also get the 516 from Windermere to Great Langdale (Dungeon Ghyll) and walk the many fells around there.  It is probably not a very long bus ride either so will help with an early(ish) start.

.... Personally, I would miss out Windermere completely.

I would agree  ::) 

This might help too with planning:

https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/public-transport-road-safety/transport/publictransport/busserv/busservmap.asp

Just prior to your trip it might be worth posting on here.  Perhaps someone from the forum may be passing and can give you a lift..... worth a try to help you get to your chosen fells.

Cheers
Lee
« Last Edit: 20:26:12, 17/03/19 by photonut »

Carly86

« Reply #12 on: 21:27:12, 17/03/19 »
Hey, thanks Lee, that's a great help and a great idea.

Like I said Windermere was picked because it's the easiest train access, it's just a basepoint, leave my stuff there, sleep, shower etc, I never intended to spend 4 days in the same place it's just convenient. A walk to Orrest Head and that's pretty much it for Windermere, I plan to check out as many places as possible except I'm relying on buses. And you're right Great Langdale is only a 30 min bus ride so your recommendation is even better, to be fair most of the places I want to head to are an hour bus ride which really isn't bad at all, still get to ramble which is the whole reason for the trip.

Appreciate all your help and I'll look into all the locations/routes etc. Looking forward to getting out there

Percy

• Veteran Member

Carly86

« Reply #14 on: 21:08:22, 27/03/19 »
That's fantastic, thank you  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy