Author Topic: TR Stonethwaite to High Raise and the Langdales (didn’t work out as I hoped).  (Read 1716 times)

taxino8

My first TR so probably not very good!
I set off early on Wednesday (05.00) morning heading for Stonethwaite where I was confident of finding a parking spot and got there just after 07.00 to find plenty of parking.
My intention was to head up Greenup Gill to High Raise then over to the Langdale Pikes for a bit of a wander about before heading to Angle Tarn for the night however things didn’t go to plan.
The forecast was light rain, improving as the day went on, this turned out to be wrong but I was in Borrowdale.
I hadn’t got half a mile when the heavens opened up forcing me to stop and put on my waterproofs, which I hate walking in.
As I went up Greenup Gill the visibility was ok and the rain eased off, I was hopeful for a decent day. The rain had filled up the becks so there were some spectacular waterfalls.
By the time I’d got near a High Raise the weather has taken a turn for the worse with very strong winds and low visibility, about fifty metres.
After a brief stop in the shelter at High Raise I headed over to the Langdales but couldn’t see anything so had a wander about there as I’d never been there since my rock climbing days in the Army.
I then headed for the Pile of Stones with the intention of going to Angle Tarn but as I got near Lining Crag the wind and rain became a lot worse so I decided to go back towards Stake Pass hoping to find somewhere sheltered to set up my brand new tent for the night. Again I’d never been to Stake Pass so was a bit surprised to see how steep it was and there was nowhere suitable to setup for the night.
The plus point was I was sheltered from the wind and the rain eased off a fair bit but I realised I was going to be too low down to camp so decided to go back to Stonethwaite and stay in the campsite there.
By the time I got to the car I was pretty tired, having trudged thirteen miles with 16kg on my back (my fault for taking two bottles of wine, wine gums, nuts, milk, etc) and just thought I might as well drive home so off I went back to North Yorkshire.
I still enjoyed the day but was really looking forward to a night out on the hills sipping wine and watching the World go by but that will keep for another day with hopefully better weather.
Because of the poor weather I only took photos lower down, here are a few.

Looking down Greenup Gill.

Looking up towards Greenup Edge.

Stake Beck

« Last Edit: 20:20:48, 07/06/19 by taxino8 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Unlucky with the weather. Still nice photos though.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Good report and pictures, shame it didn't work out as planned.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Good account and a fine view down Greenup Gill  O0. Better luck with the weather next time.

pleb

• Veteran Member
Waterfalls look nice  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
It's a fine trip report and lovely pics, even if your walk didn't turn out quite how you'd hoped.  I prefer reading "real" accounts of people's trips anyway rather than a documented fact file so all is good  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
Best laid plans ......etc  good photos - lovely streams in spate. O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

April

• Veteran Member
Two bottles of wine?  :o  :o  ;)

Aye, we have trips like that, shame you didn't try out your new tent but summer should appear at some point  :(
Hate will never win

taxino8

Two bottles of wine?  :o :o ;)

Aye, we have trips like that, shame you didn't try out your new tent but summer should appear at some point  :(
The two bottles of wine, complete with wine gums and Macadamia Nuts while sat on a hill or mountain in the sun away from everyone and everything is why I do it.
I could easily do the walk in a day with a light load but it would be half the fun.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Great photos & report, thanks for posting! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
The two bottles of wine, complete with wine gums and Macadamia Nuts while sat on a hill or mountain in the sun away from everyone and everything is why I do it.

O0

Let us hope there is some sun this weekend  :)
Hate will never win

taxino8

O0

Let us hope there is some sun this weekend  :)
Hopefully but it’s not exactly “flaming June” up to now.
It doesn’t have to be a weekend for me, self employed so any two days will do.  8)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy