Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276035 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #750 on: 18:39:39, 05/06/19 »
I didn't go for a walk today, I decided to go for a run. I drove to my normal parking place on Portsdown Hill which overlooks Portsmouth and it was completely packed with cars as far as my eyes could see. Every nook, cranny, grass, and bits of gravel had been taken up by cars and hundreds of children and adults, all waiting to see the Red Arrows perform. I found myself a parking slot (I know the area  ;)) and started off on my run. I ran past the largest car park, again, hundreds of people and I had to run through them twisting and turning around people, deck chairs and picnic blankets. The burger van I noticed was doing a roaring trade, the queue was soooo long! Some people gave me some odd looks and a few lads even wolf whistled me. They were taking the Michael of course. I crossed the road and within 100 yds I was completely alone for the next two miles. A good fun day out though.

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #751 on: 20:31:13, 05/06/19 »
Don't you think it might have been the commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the D day landings that caused all the congestion ;)
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #752 on: 00:12:40, 06/06/19 »
Out on Bodmin moor this evening.  Covered around 6miles, but I was mainly bouldering in my new climbing shoes, then running to the next tor.  Beautiful still evening and the rain, that seemed to be all around, creating some great rainbows, mist  the  area I was in completely.  :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #753 on: 19:05:31, 17/06/19 »
Continuing along the Offa’s Dyke Path, was Day 3 today.

After 2 wet and muddy days from the start to Pandy, today was an absolute joy. Not only did my socks stay dry with only one heavy shower but a ridge walk between Pandy and Hay-On-Wye that must have been 10 miles with hardly any effort and great views on both sides of me.

The icing on the cake was the small diversion off the route to Hay Bluff. A diversion that meant staying at the same level instead of descending. The views down from near the top were definitely worth it.

Steadily progressing during the week, I might even have a rain free day tomorrow lol
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #754 on: 19:35:43, 17/06/19 »
I walked from Ardingly to Haywards Heath via Cuckfield today, taking in some of the Sussex Ouse Valley Way and some of the High Weald Landscape Trail.  A varied walk in lush rolling countryside with some ghyll woodland and a stretch by the beautiful Ardingly Reservoir.  I walked under the amazing Ouse Valley Viaduct, which carries the London-Brighton railway line.  After so much cool dreay wet weather it was great having it fine, warm and sunny.  A good day out!    :)

Warbler

« Reply #755 on: 20:03:46, 17/06/19 »

After 2 wet and muddy days from the start to Pandy, today was an absolute joy. Not only did my socks stay dry with only one heavy shower but a ridge walk between Pandy and Hay-On-Wye that must have been 10 miles with hardly any effort and great views on both sides of me.

The icing on the cake was the small diversion off the route to Hay Bluff. A diversion that meant staying at the same level instead of descending. The views down from near the top were definitely worth it.

Agree. Pandy to Hay is a fantastic stretch. Another fine ridge walk awaits you tomorrow...….Hergest Ridge, a lovely springy, grassy path with more great views.  O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #756 on: 04:28:55, 18/06/19 »
I’ve done a few short walks this week in the Marakele national park.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #757 on: 00:15:49, 22/06/19 »
Lovely walk in sunshine today after work.  Better not say where as I posted a picture on the where is this thread.  ;)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #758 on: 20:58:35, 22/06/19 »
I've just spent a week walking parts of the coast path on the Llyn peninsula....and very nice it was too! O0
Despite the not so good weather forecast before I went, I've come home with a nice tan! 8)

For the most part, the weather was gorgeous! :D

***Happiness is only a smile away***

Julie Tombs

« Reply #759 on: 14:19:16, 23/06/19 »
I am doing a 7 mile walk on Tuesday with my walking group  from Hope Cove in Devon along the SWCP to Bolt Tail then Soar Mill Cove then turn inland to Bolberry and back to Hope Cove for a drink.  If the weather is nice on Thursday I will do the next leg of the SWCP in Cornwall from Polperro heading towards Polruan returning inland via Lansallos.  I think it will be too far and too steep to do the whole leg from Polperro to Polruan so I only anticipate getting as far as Lansallos Beach.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #760 on: 19:31:04, 24/06/19 »
 :( feeling sad because it’s my last day walking Offa’s Dyke tomorrow and I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ve been quite lucky with the weather, only a bit wet on the first couple of mornings but since then only a couple of showers. The predicted thunderstorms today didn’t happen thankfully but I didn’t get the views today either but it was a lovely walk from Llanarmon to Bodfari.

Weather for the final day isn’t looking good but I’ll be back in my own bed tomorrow night, this makes me happy but also sad that it’s finishing  :(
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #761 on: 17:32:03, 25/06/19 »
Out on Dartmoor today, going round and over Cosdon Hill.  The weather forecast was for full overcast with over 90% humidity and very little wind. They got that right!  Haven’t been so hot and sweaty on a walk in this country for ages. Really unpleasant conditions, by the time we got to the end we both looked like we had been walking in the rain.  I can cope with cold, wet etc. but how do people cope with just plain steamy?  We dropped our pace and were wearing the minimum of lightweight clothing, just a loose trekking shirt and lightweight trousers in my case.
Solvitur Ambulando

Julie Tombs

« Reply #762 on: 17:34:34, 25/06/19 »
Out on Dartmoor today, going round and over Cosdon Hill.  The weather forecast was for full overcast with over 90% humidity and very little wind. They got that right!  Haven’t been so hot and sweaty on a walk in this country for ages. Really unpleasant conditions, by the time we got to the end we both looked like we had been walking in the rain.  I can cope with cold, wet etc. but how do people cope with just plain steamy?  We dropped our pace and were wearing the minimum of lightweight clothing, just a loose trekking shirt and lightweight trousers in my case.

We were walking in South Devon today in Hope Cove so not far from you. It was muggy but luckily being on the coast there was a bit of a breeze. Just shorts and T shirt and lots of stops for drinks.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #763 on: 20:12:09, 25/06/19 »
I walked over the South Downs from Storrington to Findon today.  There were cattle on their usual haunt of Sullington Hill on the SDW but they kept their distance. 

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #764 on: 20:19:21, 25/06/19 »
No walkies for me today as it's been raining all day! ::)

Off out tomorrow, although not sure where yet.... and I'm also leading an 11 mile walk on Thursday from Calver Sough.
We'll be doing some of the Derwent Valley Heritage Way (by the River Derwent) before climbing through some lovely woodland onto Froggat Edge. We'll cross the moor to White Edge, then drop down and go over Tumbling Hill en-route to Grindleford.
Another stretch of the DVHW will take us back to Calver.
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy