Author Topic: Running ‘hot’ in cool weather  (Read 3240 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Running ‘hot’ in cool weather
« Reply #15 on: 17:28:40, 17/11/20 »
OK Ninthace I'll say it your better way.
Though if the male body was completely naked and bald more heat would be lost above the shoulders by percentage of body area than any other equivalent part of the body due to the lace of subcutaneous fat. When clothed and with no headwear that percentage increases to a higher percentage. However, you have told me how to say it, so that's what I will agree to do. 
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:59:24, 17/11/20 »
Having a full head of hair is great for not needing a hat in summer to protect my scalp and keep it cool.  Not so good in colder months as it is wet from sweat within 10 mins of starting most walks. After that the beanie is on and off to help regulate my temperature.  On balance though I'll keep my hair.

After five years back walking regularly in all conditions, I think I have the upper layers sorted now.  It's the legs where I'm still experimenting.  I have tried every thing from beach shorts to salopettes, but it's knowing when to where what.  There are a number of times I have got the leggings wrong and either been soaked through and too cold or over heated and wet with sweat from the waist down.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:53:18, 18/11/20 »

After five years back walking regularly in all conditions, I think I have the upper layers sorted now.  It's the legs where I'm still experimenting.  I have tried every thing from beach shorts to salopettes, but it's knowing when to where what.  There are a number of times I have got the leggings wrong and either been soaked through and too cold or over heated and wet with sweat from the waist down.

Never quite understood just how a fair number of walkers spend a lot more thought/ expense on torso than legs...it’s not that unusual, for example, to see some in an expensive jacket wearing jeans.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:41:21, 18/11/20 »
I know what you mean, but for me I don't seem to feel the cold on the bottom half so tend to walk in the same Berghaus trousers all year - if it gets really cold I will put a pair of overtrousers on, but I cannot remember the last time I needed to.  Even in horizontal hail my legs don't seem to suffer.

Edited to say - as a member of the follicly challenged community I am rarely out without some form of head covering, and often several.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:03:16, 18/11/20 »
Yes, like me. I now seem to have a head covering for all occasions, a sun hat, a hat to cover the ears for really cold days, a waterproof hat with a neck covering for when its wet and a cosey Beanie. I wore the Beanie today.

I've reached that point in my hiking and running career where I'm now over-equipped just too much choice.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:26:09, 18/11/20 »
Tilley ......... nuff said  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

Sevenup

« Reply #21 on: 20:38:11, 18/11/20 »
I’ve got different hats for different seasons. I’ve got some cheap, frequently washed, foldable Mountain Warehouse skip caps for outside summer and winter. For summer I’ve got a cheap (sale) OR floppy cricketer style hat with a wide brim and for when it’s really cold I have a Tilley tweed style wide brim hat. As a winter standby I have a towed skip cap bought in a sale at TKMaxx made with a similar material to the Tilley. The trouble is that our winters are now so mild that I hardly wear the latter pair. I used to go mountain biking at Aviemore the week before English school holiday week in October. When we crossed Drumochter on the Friday night it was usually -8c and day time temperatures rarely rose above 2c. Today it’s 12c here in November.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:13:04, 18/11/20 »
  A cursory search did not turn up the studies you refer to but I did not dig deep.
It might be better to say that the head loses more heat in proportion rather than you lose more heat from your head than the rest of the body and obviously if it is uninsulated.......... 
Any part of the body loses more heat when it is not insulated.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/do-we-really-lose-most-of-our-heat-through-our-heads
http://factmyth.com/factoids/you-lose-most-of-your-body-heat-through-your-head/

More Or Less did a programme on this topic: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csz3sd

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:40:50, 19/11/20 »
That was interesting to listen to.  As a surfer I used to wear a vest with a hood, even in the summer, when I was wearing a thin shorty wet suit.  I was no fashion item but it meant I could surf for 6-7 hours in a day without getting too cold.  I even surfed in January UK temps in just that vest and hood, just once.  I lasted 40 mins before I got out.

The Point made in the radio broadcast is very relevant here. Once you get out of the cold your capillaries start to open up again and draw warm blood away from your core to the surface of the skin.  This leads to secondary cooling and hypothermia can set in really quickly, after you get out of the cold, if you don't do something about it.  I used to jog up and down the beach for as long as it took to warm through. Not so simple if you are exhausted.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:54:58, 19/11/20 »
Also why gilets are so good to regulate temperature, as you're using the vasodialation effect to cool your arms down which reverses when you're on the flat and start to cool a little.

tillster

« Reply #25 on: 10:11:23, 23/11/20 »
I too sweat like a mofo and - while I've not found a perfect solution to the problem - I've settled on a skin-fit merino baselayer with a Rab Vapur Rise light on top is pretty good at getting some of the moisture away from the skin. Prob comes when you stop and you coo down, then it gets cold, and fast.

Merino helps a bit in that regard but not enough IME and I'll often have two of those base layers to allow for a swap whenever I take a longer break.

Sevenup

« Reply #26 on: 10:30:02, 23/11/20 »
I’m playing about with this. I’ve bought a soft shell gilet which has been useful in the cold and dry. Rab VR kit looks good but I’m not convinced on the merino base layer. I’ve got some short sleeve Paramo directional base layers that are doing better at keeping me drier. I’ll mix these layers and see how they work. I can cope with being sweaty and carrying lots of options on day hikes (and I can have more in the car). It’s the multi day stuff with a full pack that’s really challenging. Cold, dry days create one set of issues but add rain to the game with a hard shell and it’s another set. Still, it’s keeping me occupied.

tillster

« Reply #27 on: 10:36:54, 23/11/20 »
Fair points

My preference for the icebreaker stems less from its wicking than itsbheat-retention

But it's a cursed affliction, with no great solution

Sevenup

« Reply #28 on: 10:42:55, 23/11/20 »
I’m having happier results with merino (Isobaa are working for me as a bit lighter than my icebreaker) using them when I stop at night. They don’t take up much room and really work as a base layer. I have a couple of hoody tops that are useful for ears being warm too https://www.isobaa.com/collections/mens-long-sleeve-tops/products/mens-merino-200-zip-neck-hoodie-blue

Finer made than the icebreakers I own

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:46:37, 26/11/20 »
When I looked more deeply into how stuff like Goretex really works, as opposed to the misleading infographic they use on adverts, I was quite surprised. This idea that vapor just passes through little holes that rain can't get through is not at all accurate.

What really happens is your sweat adsorbs into the inner PU layer and diffuses into it until some of it gets to the actual PTFE layer. At this point it can evaporate through the PTFE mesh.

The relevance of this is that in reality, the fabric has sweat soaking into it, which must evaporate to leave the jacket. In UK weather the relative humidity (RH) is often very high. Today in Yeovil for example, it's 95%. Evaporation is very low indeed at that kind of humidity.

And that's the humidity of open air. Humidity at the surface of a rain-soaked piece of cloth will be higher.  Admittedly the heat from your body will drive evaporation but not much if you're well insulated and the surface of the jacket is being cooled by weather.

I just cannot see how any clothing technology can deal with it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy