Author Topic: Waterproof thermal gloves  (Read 1023 times)

Toxicbunny

Waterproof thermal gloves
« on: 00:21:36, 09/02/21 »
Could anyone recommend a pair of good thermal gloves. I'm looking for ones that don't restrict my fingers or are too bulky. It's Baltic out at the moment. I've bought lots of gloves in the past that are not warm enough or restrict my hands too much so I can't get anything out my pockets etc.

Sevenup

Re: Waterproof thermal gloves
« Reply #1 on: 06:53:48, 09/02/21 »
I bought Prism gloves. I probably should have bought the mitts as I am told they help warm your hands up faster but the gloves work fine.
 Currently Medium sizes on sale here

https://mountain-kit.co.uk/accessories-c67

Peak

« Reply #2 on: 07:10:17, 09/02/21 »
I have the Prism mitts, very warm & lightweight, shop around.

Peak

« Reply #3 on: 07:16:17, 09/02/21 »
Sevenup,
Thanks for the link to Mountain kit, not seen it before and sure I will be using it, I rate Montane stuff highly.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:57:16, 09/02/21 »
I use Tegera gloves in very cold weather. Tegera model 297. They are industrial gloves made for working in freezing conditions, they are also waterproof. They come in different sizes dependent on measuring round your hand so a really comfy fit. £16.79 at Work Gloves.co.uk
It's all uphill from here.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:20:35, 09/02/21 »
Check out Montane Extremes or Extremities for decent deals.  It's the best time to buy winter gear as the season is coming to an end (not if you actually want to use it this season obviously, but from a deals perspective).

If you want super warm + doesn't restrict fingers then I'd recommend a fold-over finger mitten glove which gives you some dexterity if you need it.  All the rage in Scandinavia for the super-low temperatures.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/warm-woollen-hunting-mittens-100-brown/_/R-p-10203?mc=2675462&c=BROWN

Might be the sort of thing which is cheap and cheerful.   They do a fully waterproof version on the same site too which is slightly more expensive. 
« Last Edit: 11:23:36, 09/02/21 by forgotmyoldpassword »

Eyelet

« Reply #6 on: 23:15:17, 11/02/21 »
Also worth considering sizing your new gloves so you can wear a pair of thin silk or merino liner gloves inside for extra warmth and to retain some warmth if you have to deglove to do something dextrous.

Richdick

« Reply #7 on: 10:44:21, 23/03/21 »
I use Tegera gloves in very cold weather. Tegera model 297. They are industrial gloves made for working in freezing conditions, they are also waterproof. They come in different sizes dependent on measuring round your hand so a really comfy fit. £16.79 at Work Gloves.co.uk
I would second these gloves... Friends have spent a fortune on gloves that were supposed to be waterproof and warm and have been disappointed. These gloves have never let me down and kept my hands dry and warm for a fraction of the price my friends have paid.
Everyone in my family has been kitted out with these with no problems.
Good luck 👍

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:16:18, 23/03/21 »
Extremities Twin skinned gloves are pretty good.
Their not really waterproof, as they are not using any inner membrane, but due to their design, they keep your hands fairly warm even when soaking wet.

Their only downside, is that if the inner glove becomes separated from the outer, they are murder to realine.

When the weather is really dreadful, i use my fully waterproof, outer mits, to keep the gloves i am wearing dry.

Really, no glove by its own, is fully waterproof, try thinking of getting a pair of overmits as well, then your guaranteed full weather protection.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:55:46, 23/03/21 »
I wear a pair of cheap Decathlon gloves made 'Thinsulate' type material (£1.99 last summer) and they are fine and well made. When it gets colder I just wear my Montane lightweight mittens over the top. My hands get hot in no time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy