Author Topic: TR 2nd April - A round from Corney Fell Rd  (Read 2528 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
TR 2nd April - A round from Corney Fell Rd
« on: 11:23:57, 03/04/21 »
At last ! A long awaited return to the fells and I couldn't have wished for a better day. It's difficult to make a circular route from the parking spot at the summit of the Corney Fell road without having a long pull back up at the end of the day but I wasn't going to let that put me off
A beautiful crisp morning as I boot up. This is looking Stoneside Hill with Black Combe beyond.
I head off in the other direction following the wall to the Buckbarrow group of hills.
A look back from the gentle climb.
Today I followed the wall up and over Great Paddy Crag, you can take a path on the right which keeps to the grass.
As I crest the hill I get my first sight of the big fells.
Zooming in to Kirk Fell on the left then Great Gable and the Scafell's.
Its a steady climb to Whitfell from where there is a superb panorama of England's highest ground.
A look back from the extensive cairn and wind shelter.
A walk across the grassy fellside gets me to Woodend Height. Devoke water below. Pillar and the high western fells are visible now.
It's a brilliant view from Woodend Height you have Devoke Water, then the fells above Eskdale and beyond them Illgill Head and beyond that, Pillar, Red Pike, Scoat Fell and Haycock. Great gable is peeping up just to the right of the great bulk of Kirk Fell and finally the green fields of Eskdale with Scafell above.
My route today though takes me away from the dramatic high fells over the big pudding that is Hesk Fell.
But the views from there are no less stunning with Ill Crag, Esk Pike, the unmistakable mountain shape of Bowfell and then Crinkle Crags.
On the descent the Coniston group come into view from Grey Friar on the left to Caw ( although that's not really part of the Coniston fells ) on the right.
After Hesk Fell comes the steep little pull to The Pike.
Looking back to Hesk Fell
A wide sweep taking in Whitfell, the full Stainton Fell group of fells and Hesk Fell.
From The Pike I took an off piste route down to a quarry marked on the map. Lower Dunnerdale is below with the River Duddon making its way to the Duddon estuary.
And that's the higher reaches of Dunnerdale and the Coniston fells from above the quarry.
I managed to find a way into Rainsbarrow wood. The path through higher section seemed to be little used but was a lovely with the dappled sunshine lighting up the mossy tumbledown walls
The lower section seems more well used . It's a good job they apologised as I was going to send a stiffly worded E-mail to the forestry commission expressing my disgust at the inconvenience of having to open ( and close ) two gates. It really took the edge off the day though  >:( ;D
The Pike seen over the cottages at Mill.
From The Mill the path rises steadily up to Ulpha Park passing the accurately named Castle How on the way.
Just before you enter the track by the plantation there is a view over an old barn to Grey Friar.
The track through Ulpha Park
There is a short descent to the farm at Logan Beck Bridge. Penn in the background.
I'm now faced with the 900ft climb back to the top of the pass. The tops of the Buckbarrow fells are just visible on the skyline. I took the grassy hillside which cuts out a big dog-leg on the road.
A long range look back with the Pike and the Ulpha Park in the foreground.
I meet the road at Mere Crags. That's the top of Stoneside Hill in the distance and although it's a climb I probably wouldn't want to do again the pull back to my car wasn't too bad ( although you have to keep your eyes and ears open as the road is quite busy.
My route was -
Corney fell rd. summit - Great Paddy crag - Whitfell - Woodend Height - Hesk Fell - The Pike - Rainsbarrow Wood - Mill - Ulpha Park - Thwaites fell - Corney Fell Rd. ( about 12 miles 3000ft ascent)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 2nd April - A round from Corney Fell Rd
« Reply #1 on: 11:58:19, 03/04/21 »
Hey up Karl - I was thinking about you yesterday as I was driving back across Birker Fell to Ulpha as I know how much you love that area - I am the figure on Illgill Head waving at you  ;D .  Wasn't it a wonderful day?  Looks like you made the most of it too.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:12:58, 03/04/21 »
A super day and photos, those are excellent hills and often deserted  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:13:45, 03/04/21 »
Karl, you are psychic!

In the summer we are heading to Wasdale and I was planning the walk that you have just posted but don't know the area, where to park etc. So I thought to my self, 'I'll have to ask Karl, he'll know' and here you are answering all my questions without me even asking them.

Lovely photos, looking forward to being there in August.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:34:08, 03/04/21 »
Hey up Karl - I was thinking about you yesterday as I was driving back across Birker Fell to Ulpha as I know how much you love that area - I am the figure on Illgill Head waving at you  ;D .  Wasn't it a wonderful day?  Looks like you made the most of it too.
Cheers Paul,  O0  it was a beautiful day, I bet the views from the screes were glorious ;)

A super day and photos, those are excellent hills and often deserted  O0
Thanks Geoff.. On a bank holiday I was only ever going to visit the fringes of the Lakes and      I met exactly zero people on the fells  O0

Karl, you are psychic!

In the summer we are heading to Wasdale and I was planning the walk that you have just posted but don't know the area, where to park etc. So I thought to my self, 'I'll have to ask Karl, he'll know' and here you are answering all my questions without me even asking them.

Lovely photos, looking forward to being there in August.

Thanks Ridge O0
That's quite a coincidence ;D
Don't hesitate to ask if you need any more info, then as April always says do exactly the opposite and you can't go wrong  ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:36:49, 04/04/21 »
Great photos; great route, Karl. Strangely, my wife and I were looking on the map at Buckbarrow, Whitfell and Devoke Water from Corney Road on Friday night.

And I have in mind a public transport based wild camp, returning over these quieter fells and Black Combe to Silecroft. That'll have to wait a little while yet - but not long now  8)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:57:45, 04/04/21 »
Great photos; great route, Karl. Strangely, my wife and I were looking on the map at Buckbarrow, Whitfell and Devoke Water from Corney Road on Friday night.

Thank you Richard  O0  I didn't think it was a great route when I was slogging up the Corney Fell road  ;D

And I have in mind a public transport based wild camp, returning over these quieter fells and Black Combe to Silecroft. That'll have to wait a little while yet - but not long now  8)
No not long to wait now. Train to Ravenglass then over Muncaster Fell then up to a camp around Devoke Water then back to Silecroft.... Sounds like a plan to me  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:41:49, 04/04/21 »

Thank you Richard[/size] O0  I didn't think it was a great route when I was slogging up the Corney Fell road  ;D

No not long to wait now. Train to Ravenglass then over Muncaster Fell then up to a camp around Devoke Water then back to Silecroft.... Sounds like a plan to me  ;)

Cycled up there once. A long time ago.

Sounds like a very good plan. ;)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:03:38, 05/04/21 »
Think I'd like to live in that old barn to Grey Friar.

Smashing set o pics Karl.  And what grand weather, very uncharacteristic for the Lakes!

Hope you've recovered from the trauma of having to open (and close) those gates  ;D

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:17:31, 06/04/21 »

Ta Mel O0  It was a lovely day and so good to be back :)

Hope you've recovered from the trauma of having to open (and close) those gates  ;D
No I haven't,  >:(
in fact I'm in the Daily Mail this week with one of those pointing sad face photos  ;D

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:55:40, 06/04/21 »
Ta Mel O0  It was a lovely day and so good to be back :)
No I haven't,  >:(
in fact I'm in the Daily Mail this week with one of those pointing sad face photos  ;D

I would pay good money to see that picture! ;D ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:36:34, 20/04/21 »
I went for a meander over the Buckbarrow tops this morning, after dropping off my wife at her mother's house in Dunnerdale. There's a lovely atmosphere about the hill, perhaps it is the close proximity of the sea, perhaps the rocky crags capping the hill. Whatever it was, I enjoyed just sitting at the western top, soaking it up for 15 minutes or so. Reminds me of some of the hills in the northern Carneddau, but on a smaller scale.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:38:55, 28/04/21 »
Today I took a walk up through the Dunnerdale woods from Beckfoot to Mill Brow, then up the same path as you, karl, past Castle How to Logan Beck Bridge. A lovely 5 miles, but the bluebells some way off their best yet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy