Author Topic: Trackers  (Read 1879 times)

dank86

Trackers
« on: 12:57:15, 02/01/19 »
I've just purchased a spot gen3 tracker to keep family and friends minds at ease when I go off and do my 'silly stuff' as they call it.

Sure it needs its subscription but you can do a one off or monthly payment and there's a discount atm when ordering through globaltelsat. So if you have friends and family that worry when youre out and about its maybe something to think about, they can log in and see where you are, you can send a message to check in or send an sos if needed.

I like to track and log my hikes as well so this is going to replace my garmin and it has a much better battery life.

Anyone use this or other trackers?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Trackers
« Reply #1 on: 13:33:55, 02/01/19 »
What's the cost?  My family track me using ViewRangers buddy beacon, although that does need a mobile signal, but it's free  :)
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:38:16, 02/01/19 »
What's the cost?  My family track me using ViewRangers buddy beacon, although that does need a mobile signal, but it's free  :)
When you say free, do the buddy beacon pings come out of your SMS or data allowance?  Asking as a tightwad Pay as You Go user that spends less than £40 a year on my mobile (including foreign trips)
Solvitur Ambulando

dank86

« Reply #3 on: 13:42:52, 02/01/19 »
Quote from: sussamb

At the moment the device is £100

Then it's €179.99 as a one of for the year or €17.99 a month where I ordered from is offering €30 off (I've not activated yet so not sure if you can use it on monthly)

It uses the iridium satellite network so has like 99% global coverage.

It works for me seeing as I go off on multiday hikes and this is going to roll a few devices into one, and the peace of mind to family and friends is worth it.

dank86

« Reply #4 on: 13:59:55, 02/01/19 »
When you say free, do the buddy beacon pings come out of your SMS or data allowance?  Asking as a tightwad Pay as You Go user that spends less than £40 a year on my mobile (including foreign trips)

It'll be using data to transmit for the tracking, my garmin does it if I pair it to my phone

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:24:20, 02/01/19 »

Out of the data allowance, but it's minimal  O0
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:42:08, 02/01/19 »
I use Real Time tracker 2, its completely free and it works! It does lots of other things as well but I don't bother with them, so many apps seem to have duplicates of what I have already.

Ok, I accept when I power it up it does out of my PAYG data but I've never noticed that it uses much?

I also use very little of my PAYG phone money, (use it just as an emergecy) I make most of my phone calls through the internet and in wifi in pubs etc and when I'm at home.

I'm definately doing one thing this year, I'm switching my voicemail off for good, if I'm really needed they can text me and I'll phone them back!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:03:22, 02/01/19 »
Looks exactly like buddy beacon  O0
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:59:10, 02/01/19 »
Your paying £30 a year too much.  I had one £10 top up that lasted nearly two years. I am 1/8 the Scots though.   ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:03:53, 02/01/19 »
Your paying £30 a year too much.  I had one £10 top up that lasted nearly two years. I am 1/8 the Scots though.   ;)
  I could manage on that if it wasn't for the foreign trips where I chuck an extra tenner on just in case I have to phone home.  I'm as tight as a duck's b*m and that's watertight.
Solvitur Ambulando

taxino8

« Reply #10 on: 21:29:45, 04/01/19 »
I’ve just pushed the button tonight for a Garmin InReach Mini cost is £250 from Blacks, everywhere else seems to be £300.
I’m going on the Freedom Plan so only need to pay the one off yearly fee of £25 and then £15 for the months I choose to use it.
I think it’s worth it for my families peace of mind.

dank86

« Reply #11 on: 21:32:39, 04/01/19 »
I looked at the Inreach but couldnt justify the extra cost of it, yea the only paying when you need it is a bonus but having to pair it to a smart phone for the live tracking was a big turn off for me

taxino8

« Reply #12 on: 21:36:56, 04/01/19 »
I’m not bothered about the tracking, I just wanted the ability to send a text saying “I’m ok” and that sort of thing when I’m out of mobile reach and of course the SOS button could literally be a lifesaver, not just for me but anyone I happen to come across who is in difficulty.

dank86

« Reply #13 on: 21:42:12, 04/01/19 »
Yea the sos is a big bonus for me and the multiple messages that can be sent. The tracking for me means I don't have to carry and charge another device and lets family and friends see where I am, its when I go overseas they worry. I don't pay extra with the subscription I got either for the tracking pings.

Either devices is great and anyone who spends time outside for long periods should have one I think

taxino8

« Reply #14 on: 21:50:00, 04/01/19 »
I’m not certain but I don’t think I need the InReach paired to a phone while walking for the live tracking, I’m sure it just sends a ping to the satellite at whatever intervals you set and that appears on your  MapShare page that family and friends have access to.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy