Author Topic: TR: Llantysilio Hills & Eglwyseg 2-day backpack  (Read 2284 times)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
A 2-day route across the Llantysilio hills to the north of the River Dee, returning via World's End and the excellent path below the western crags of Eglwyseg Mountain. The Llangollen canal provides an easy and picturesque finish.

A summer solstice backpack for 2019, a couple of days of fine weather was at last forecast after a cold wet spell and this was a most enjoyable trip, revisiting the hills in the west and including some new sections of trail on the eastern side, in particular the full traverse of the excellent path below the Eglwyseg cliffs that hosts a fragment of the Offa's Dyke Path.

Full report & photos

Warbler

Re: TR: Llantysilio Hills & Eglwyseg 2-day backpack
« Reply #1 on: 14:47:17, 24/06/19 »

Great photo's and report vg. You certainly had some luck with the weather  O0 .

Eglwyseg crags was a feature I was really looking forward to on my recent Offs's Dyke Path attempt. Unfortunately I didn't make it that far, but seeing this makes me want to return to complete as soon as possible.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:23:22, 24/06/19 »
Beautiful scenery & photos vg 8) O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:47:12, 24/06/19 »
Great report and pics vg  O0 Some interesting place names - The Ponderosa and The World's End  :) Anyone else humming the theme tune to Bonanza?  :)
Hate will never win

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:09:48, 25/06/19 »
Enjoyed your TR.

The path below the Eglwysegs is a high quality way, so is the path along the top. It can make an excellent circular walk, for anyone tempted by your photos. I first discovered Craig Arthur in the 1960's, think my name may still be in the climbers guide for some of the early routes we climbed there.

Whilst we were climbing and camping there, we took an evening off in Llangollen. Returning after a few beers, two of the lads decided that the air was fresher on my roof rack, than in the back of my mini van.

After a mile or two, maybe three I forgot that they were there, there was a full moon, and as we went round a corner I saw this roof rack flying over the hedge, with two climbers sitting on it as if they were on a magic carpet, against the moon.

After some time we found a gate in the field, and two very disgruntled mates, complete with roof rack, told me I was responsible for finding the only wet, boggy patch in the whole area. It was a rather dry summer  ;D .
« Last Edit: 07:18:23, 25/06/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:53:38, 25/06/19 »
Thanks everyone  :)

@warbler - I really hope your weather is as good, we saw it at its finest.

@April - Bonanza!, damn, did you have to mention that earworm?  >:(  I used to watch that when it first aired.

@barewirewalker - I didn't realise it was known for climbing routes. That's a surreal tale, one to treasure and laugh about.

astaman

« Reply #6 on: 07:03:48, 26/06/19 »
Great report and, as always, particularly good photographs.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:03:43, 26/06/19 »
Thanks astaman, a good walk in brilliant clear conditions.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:45:28, 26/06/19 »

@barewirewalker - I didn't realise it was known for climbing routes. That's a surreal tale, one to treasure and laugh about.
Yes, great memories, life's a bit more staid now.

But writing that reminiscence had me unable to control laughter, of course my other friend in the van with me were very worried that we would find two badly injured friends in the field over the hedge, instead the two soggy, muddy, blaspheming specimens with a bent roof rack, who had made a perfect pancake landing in a bog patch was hilarious.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:27:15, 26/06/19 »
Looks very fine countryside down there...I have not been that far down into Wales....only have ever managed to stay in the Northern hills.  Fine images.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:21:31, 26/06/19 »
Thanks a lot.
There is plenty of good walking in other parts of mid Wales too, especially if you seek solitude.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy