Author Topic: Is Snowdon via Llanberis Path suitable?  (Read 4088 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Is Snowdon via Llanberis Path suitable?
« on: 09:27:18, 22/08/19 »
I'm thinking of attempting this in the new year with a guy from my Facebook weight loss motivation group and hopefully some of the others from the group. It says it's suitable for families but wondered if there's anything I can test my mettle with locally to see how I'm likely to fare and a good way to judge if the others are fit enough? I made fairly easy work of 80 metres of ascent over 500 metres yesterday which I think is steeper than the Llanberis Path as an average but I don't want to undertake something foolish and even less so encourage others to.

Thoughts?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Is Snowdon via Llanberis Path suitable?
« Reply #1 on: 09:38:46, 22/08/19 »
Top of my head. The tourist path from the car park above Latrigg to the top of Skiddaw or better still start at the Blencathra Centre in Thelkeld and drop down to cross the stream and go up the back of Latrigg as well. I assume the bridge is back by now.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:47:57, 22/08/19 »
Top of my head. The tourist path from the car park above Latrigg to the top of Skiddaw or better still start at the Blencathra Centre in Thelkeld and drop down to cross the stream and go up the back of Latrigg as well. I assume the bridge is back by now.

Thanks ninthace, I walked a very similar route to the start of that yesterday, it's a pretty route too. We didn't do Skiddaw though just the Blencathra Centre to Latrigg bit then via a short but relatively steep route back. The others told me Skiddaw was hard work and they wouldn't do it again but I've got relative youth and time to lose more weight (under 18 stone now) on my side. I'll have a pop a month or so before we're due to go to make sure I'm being sensible.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:02:37, 22/08/19 »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:11:44, 22/08/19 »
You must be up there in the top 0.1% of most area covered in the UK walking. I'm very lucky that you choose to share your knowledge on here with me. O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:37:10, 22/08/19 »
You must be up there in the top 0.1% of most area covered in the UK walking. I'm very lucky that you choose to share your knowledge on here with me. O0
  Thanks but I think it would be more true to say that so far I have walked in far less than 0.1% of the country.  I have done virtually nothing in Scotland and very little in Wales apart from Snowdonia and Anglesey.  The only parts of the UK I know anything about are the Lake District, where there are much greater authorities than me on this forum, the North Pennines, and North Yorkshire.  Currently, I am starting to learn about the SW but again there are folk on this forum who are much far more knowledgeable about the area.
It was only after the invention of portable gps and the advent of digital mapping that I started to keep any sort of walking log so I only have decent records of walks over the past 7 years, when I returned to the UK, a shade less than 600 trips.  I have dropped a lot of these onto the OS mapping app and onto haroldstreet.org.uk. I was an early adopter of VR but found it fairly crude so I moved on to other apps and have only recently returned to it as phone technology and the app have improved.  Now I an slowly adding my route library to VR, having written up 385 trips so far.  The wonderful thing is that I have an odd sort of memory for routes.  As I sit down with the map to write a route description, it seems no matter how long ago I walked it, I can still recall it.  When it comes to names and faces - I can barely remember my own.
So far Rob, I have been able to help but hopefully you will soon outstrip me.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:50:44, 22/08/19 »
The llanberis path is perfectly safe for even a family group, or someone who is unsure of the terrain, but the region above Clogwyn Station is rather steep, and very exposed to strong winds.
If the weather is favourable, then the Llanberis Path should not pose many problems.

If your intent on reaching the summit, and are uncertain about the weather conditions, then i suggest the Snowdon Ranger Path, on the Caernarvon Rhydd Ddu side of the mountain.
Its by far the easiest way up the mountain, in most weathers.

If you have  made your mind up, and want to use the Llanberis route, then weather permitting, it should pose few problems for a keen and active party.

Its a distance of ten miles up and down, and takes roughly 2-3hrs up, and about 2hrs down.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:00:31, 22/08/19 »
Thanks DA. I haven't made up my mind on path I selected the Llanberis Path based on a website that said it was easiest. Perfectly willing to use other paths if they're safer or easier.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:01:18, 22/08/19 »
The Llanberis path is the easiest way up. The main determinant is the weather, when were you thinking of doing it? Crossing the snow on the section above Clogwyn station can be dangerous if it is banked out, Never follow the railway. I see all sorts of sizes and levels of fitness going up and down. (I have done Snowdon myself between 150 and 200 times)

Please do not put rubbish or bags of dog S11T in the garden or stuffed into the dry stone wall of our club hut on your way up and down. I picked a big rubbish bag full on Tuesday, plastic bottles, tin cans, coffee cups, and 6 bags of dog S11T; after the Bank Hol I dare say I will be doing the same again.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:29:05, 22/08/19 »
Statistics for the Llanberis route from the nearest car park to the bottom station: 7.8km one way 1007m ascent.  Last time I did in 2011 it took me a little under 2 hrs to climb it.  Mostly easy but as they say, can be windy round Colgwyn.
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:32:42, 22/08/19 »
Snowdon Ranger path would be a good choice, especially if you’d prefer not to meet too many people! We walked up on the Rhyd dhu path and down the Snowdon Ranger path on a bank holiday weekend and that side of the mountain is far less busy than the other. It was only when we got near to the top that we saw the “hordes” heading up from the other side! Rhyd dhu has a bit of a scramble, but the Ranger path is one of the easiest. Have a look at this website https://www.visitsnowdonia.info/snowdon-walking-routes

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:45:06, 22/08/19 »
ninthace's Skiddaw route is a good suggestion, Rob. Fairly straightforward walking, as is the Llanberis path.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:39:59, 22/08/19 »
Thanks all.

Mananddog we haven't set a firm date yet, just in the new year when (hopefully) we'll also be lighter and fitter. I think we will cancel if there's snow. March maybe? Looking at the temperatures this should avoid the snow. January would be grand but it's more likely to snow I believe. How likely is it to snow in February or March?

We won't be leaving you any litter either they're a decent group of people and I'm not one for leaving litter.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:11:02, 22/08/19 »
The weather is extremely variable, it could be fine dry and sunny in January with superb visibility and dreadful in any other month. In April I went up in lovely sunshine on one day and there was 6ins of snow the next and blowing a hooley, the following day was even worse, a week later it was back to sun and dry.

Just keep an eye on the weather (MWIS is generally good), wind and lying, hard snow are the main problems. Between Jan and March I would reckon at least half the days will be OK for a novice, more if you tag along with someone with good experience.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy