Author Topic: Using public transport to get to walks during the pandemic  (Read 2193 times)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
I used a bus to get home a few weeks back.
It was as horrible as always.
One old lady, a roughish looking bloke, and me, a sweaty walker.
So business as usual.
Check timetables as many are on reduced service, you may need to wear a mask.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Vincent82

Hello, I did last week. I went to the Peak District from London. Via Sheffield on the way there and via Manchester on the way back. All the trains were very very quiet. I travelled during the week to avoid the crowds. Especially there, it was quiet during the week but busier during the weekend.

Little Foot

I've used public transport a few times since lockdown started, but only in the later stages. I took the bus to a local town and walked to a nearby village with my dog. I was the only person on the bus at the time, and realised it wasn't an essential journey but I was only travelling for about 10 mins. Second time was the same journey but this time with my lad. I remember someone else being on the bus at this point.

We went to Bridlington a few weeks ago as things were about to ease off. There were a few people on the train, including a group of young teens who were probably going out for the day.

Last time was the end of last week. I travelled from East Yorkshire to Leeds, then Ilkley on the train. I noticed posters about essential journeys but considering the Government have opened up the majority of non-essential businesses, I feel it is wrong to be still saying that. The smaller bus services around Ilkley were back to normal, but the Dales Bus (74) still wasn't running.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Used buses to facilitate a couple of linear walks on the SWCP between Ferrybridge,Weymouth and Lulworth Cove this week.
Being a holiday area they were quite busy.

At 1000 in the morning they were already opening the overflow carpark at Lulworth but if you needed the loo, hard luck, those at the fancy visitor centre were closed with a notice on the door 'the nearest toilets are 2 miles away at ?Cove'.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Little Foot

Used buses to facilitate a couple of linear walks on the SWCP between Ferrybridge,Weymouth and Lulworth Cove this week.
Being a holiday area they were quite busy.

At 1000 in the morning they were already opening the overflow carpark at Lulworth but if you needed the loo, hard luck, those at the fancy visitor centre were closed with a notice on the door 'the nearest toilets are 2 miles away at ?Cove'.

I think places are not opening toilets as more a cost-cutting exercise imo. In the middle of lockdown I noticed the train station toilets were closed (train and bus station are in same building). I felt annoyed for the essential workers who were being praised upon for working through such a difficult time, but not being given the facilities to be comfortable.

Oldtramp

Been using for weeks past now. 

No bother. Usually empty, though becoming less so.   Bus drivers didn't stop you boarding even back in May; I was only questioned once and then not very seriously.

Prudent to book any long distance trains and, for the more erratic sort of bus, to have a cab number as a back up.

Jac

• Veteran Member

Prudent to book any long distance trains and, for the more erratic sort of bus, to have a cab number as a back up.

I've noticed several buses in Exeter with 'BUS FULL' on the front display. Presumably because they are admitting only half the normal number of passengers.

Being town buses they are quite frequent but on a less well provided route that could spell real problems at the end of a walk.

Oldtramp

That's true, Jac.  I've not had such problems but have seen a 'Bus full' in London.  That said, when they reduced the social distancing they increases the proportion of bus seats that could be used .... & many folks are still spooked about public transport, so you'd need to be pretty unlucky to be be refused...   

Still, it's another reason to have the cab no as a back up------ I only had to use it once thru' lockdown, and that was because the damn bus had been diverted owing to a burst water main and there was nothing to tell me the 'my' bus stop was out of use.  I learnt only when the taxi turned up and the driver explained the circuitous route we had to use.    But, that's normal chaos, nothing to do with covid.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Last Friday I had to attend a clinic in the West End, leaving home at 09:30, returning at 12:00. The  tube trains on the two lines I travelled on were absolutely empty.
I don't expect to be able to drive again till late December at the earliest, my car is in someone's lockup garage, SORNed and insurance downgraded to 3rd party, but I am now walking better and it is clear that as long as the trains remain like this I could use my local tube lines to head out to the green belt and beyond for walks - in particular the Metropolitan Line enters the Chilterns.
The alternative is to ask my wife to drop me off somewhere and pick me up later, but I don't think she'll be overjoyed about doing that more than a couple of times  :( .

fernman

• Veteran Member
I've not had such problems but have seen a 'Bus full' in London.

My wife drives me to the local hospital and picks me up at the bus stops, where I've observed that TfL buses have notices on the entry doors saying maximum 30 passengers. But they're always empty, with only 2 or 3 people on them.

Jac

• Veteran Member

.............. I am now walking better and it is clear that as long as the trains remain like this I could use my local tube lines to head out to the green belt and beyond for walks - in particular the Metropolitan Line enters the Chilterns.

Good to know you are walking better and that you are able to get out into real countryside :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I used the Portsmouth to Winchester train a few days ago. First time since lockdown began. !2 carriages and I only saw three other people, at that time of the morning on a workday and it was going to Waterloo I thought it would be packed. I'm obviously out of touch.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
I've been using buses again to access walks.  These are Brighton & Hove buses, which usually are often crowded, but there were few people on them.  This was so even with the buses I used when I walked some of the Seven Sisters. 

However, I wouldn't risk waiting for an infrequent bus at the end of a walk.  But I tended to avoid doing this before the pandemic anyway.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy