Author Topic: Gaitors  (Read 2397 times)

Bruces

Gaitors
« on: 22:28:50, 17/10/20 »
Hi guys newbie here,I’m looking for some gaitors but I’m struggling to find some to fit as I have chubby legs! I’ve had two sets that I can’t get on,is there any wide fitting ones that don’t cost a fortune?

TIA

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Gaitors
« Reply #1 on: 09:05:05, 18/10/20 »
I’ve had two sets that I can’t get on,is there any wide fitting ones that don’t cost a fortune?

Interesting that you don't state which makes and models you've tried and the circumference of your calves?

By the way there's no such thing as gaitors....they're called gaiters which may be why you can't find many online. Gaitors have teeth!  ;D

The short answer to your question is no there aren't any that I'm aware of. Manufacturers and retailers will only make and stock items when there is a reasonable demand for the item.

This earlier thread may be worth a read http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40620.msg587357#msg587357
« Last Edit: 11:36:48, 18/10/20 by kinkyboots »

Mines a pint

« Reply #2 on: 10:54:07, 18/10/20 »
 Bruces,mate dont sweat about gaiters,they are the last bit of kit you`ll ever put on! I`ve had a pair for at least 15 years and probably worn them twice,dont even pack them TBH.

Cheers,Richard

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:14:23, 18/10/20 »
Bruces,mate dont sweat about gaiters,they are the last bit of kit you`ll ever put on! I`ve had a pair for at least 15 years and probably worn them twice,dont even pack them TBH.

Cheers,Richard
A lot depends on where you walk.  In the North Pennines, I wore them more often than not, year round. In the SW, it depends.  If there has been a wet spell, they are needed on routes where I might encounter mud or high wet vegetation.

The thing that most frequently catches me out is just over ankle high wet grass.  You can end up soaked from the knees down and the water ends up finding its way into your boots via your socks.

There have been a couple of times when I have suddenly and unexpectedly ended up with a foot deep in a bog.  On both occasions gaiters helped no end in keeping the peat and most of water at bay.
Solvitur Ambulando

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:32:46, 18/10/20 »

Cheers,Richard

Totally disagree, about a third of my walking is through silage meadows, so gaiters are important to me.

Unfortunately I can't help the OP. 
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:53:33, 18/10/20 »
I use gaiters a lot, they are essential for my type of hiking! Mine are Rab and they work fine but I've never noticed if they do a large calf model?

If I didn't wear gaiters then my rain skirt wouldn't work properly, I'd just end up with wet feet. And I really like to have them on when having to walk through wet grass and other wet vegetation, especially first thing in the morning. Again, if I didn't wear them I'd still have wet feet and I personally don't like wet feet!

Mind you I've always felt that gaiters need a complete design makeover, they are such clumsy things to start with. I'd prefer to buy a thin lightweight soft pair designed to be worn under my walking trousers, not on the outside. Unfortunately, as far as I know they don't exist.

I've always told myself that one day I'll get my wifes friend to sow me a pair but so far Ive never got around to it.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:11:52, 18/10/20 »
Despite having hiked a lot in Scotland, I had never used gaiters until beginning last year. Now I realise I should have got them earlier. They are really useful to keep mud and splashing water out, as well as protecting your trousers against bushes. And last year in Australia I wore them as protection against venomous snakes (On the southern part of the Bibbulmun Track I saw three Tiger Snakes on average every day, and their bite can kill you - All Australians I met on the track wore them for that reason, so I figured I should follow their advice).
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:17:52, 18/10/20 »
I have a love hate relationship with Gaiters .

If I drop down into boggy ground , walk through tall wet grass or nip through a stream they are great .

If I wear them all day because I thought I would need them , but in the end all that happens is my legs sweat for no apparent reason because I didn`t really need my gaiters that day then I hate them.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:34:55, 18/10/20 »
I sometimes think the manufacturers of gaiters no longer intend us to wear them.  I have a set of older Rab gaiters - sturdy front zip closure, velcro flap and decent lace hook.  Mrs N has a newer pair of Berghaus gaiters - no zip behind the velcro closure and you need a PhD in Origami to attach the hook - you either need to be a contortionist or have good friend to fit them properly.   At the time we bought them, they were the best of a fairly indifferent selection and as the OP has discovered - not much choice in sizes.
Solvitur Ambulando

rambling oldie

« Reply #9 on: 19:04:21, 18/10/20 »
I find these handy, only come up to lower calf so may not be a hindrance for you.

Although they don't cover the whole leg, they do give some protection and avoid having to undo muddy laces.

http://www.spatsleisuregear.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:49:05, 18/10/20 »
Only really wear gaiters if I know that I am going to be bog trotting - or in snow, of course, in which case they are absolutely essential.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:06:08, 18/10/20 »
I find these handy, only come up to lower calf so may not be a hindrance for you.

Although they don't cover the whole leg, they do give some protection and avoid having to undo muddy laces.

http://www.spatsleisuregear.com/
I do like the look of those . I`m surprised out of all the colours , there is no brown .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:16:04, 20/10/20 »
A big fan of gaiters in the winter months.   O0

I struggle to find sets that fit around my calf too. The only ones I know that fit me are these.  No idea how big your calf's are though. Pretty much all manufactures seem to quote 50cm as the fitting size.  But as often happens with clothing. some 50cm sizes are bigger than others.

https://www.trespass.com/nanuk-performance-gaiters?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9LeA-aja6gIVh-7tCh0GTQePEAQYASABEgKThvD_BwE#color_code=Black&size_legacy=L%2FXL

They're good gaiters too. Make sure you get the larger size, as they do come in different sizes.

edam

« Reply #13 on: 16:17:39, 06/01/21 »
A big fan of gaiters in the winter months.   O0

I struggle to find sets that fit around my calf too. The only ones I know that fit me are these.  No idea how big your calf's are though. Pretty much all manufactures seem to quote 50cm as the fitting size.  But as often happens with clothing. some 50cm sizes are bigger than others.

https://www.trespass.com/nanuk-performance-gaiters?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9LeA-aja6gIVh-7tCh0GTQePEAQYASABEgKThvD_BwE#color_code=Black&size_legacy=L%2FXL [nofollow]

They're good gaiters too. Make sure you get the larger size, as they do come in different sizes.

Thanks for posting about the Trespass Nanuk gaiters

My left calf measures 52 cm over my bottoms and I can still put my hand down inside the gaiter. Well pleased. The only trouble is I have to return the others I have ordered

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:46:42, 07/01/21 »
Glad to help.  I have just started using my newest pair.  The previous set survived two years of regular moorland use.  One of the stud poppers has now come off though.  Not something I can easily mend. So I thought I would break out the new set, I bought last spring. :)   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy