Author Topic: Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge  (Read 3657 times)

FenceHugger

Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge
« on: 11:26:14, 10/09/16 »
Hi everyone,  I'm completely new to the walking scene and so much so that I'm thinking of doing the Three Peaks in Yorkshire next May. I'm doing more of a self achievement thing, as to a charity thing.  I'm in my 50's and need to lose a little 'timber' and would love to hear any tips or advice in preparing for such a long walk. Thanks and look forward too any feedback.

Peter

• Veteran Member
Re: Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge
« Reply #1 on: 11:45:27, 10/09/16 »
Hi and welcome :)

Its actually very simple, you need to start out with 5 to 8 mile walks and build up stamina. When you are doing regular 12 miler and serious hill ascents I'd suggest doing each of the peaks on its own.
In fact kids turn up every year in jeans and t shirt with trainers on and do the three straight off. A lot never want to walk again, but they do it. If you want to actually enjoy walking, then work at doing just that. Turn around and look at the scenery, stand and stare. It is all a challenge.
Not sure you will loose weight though, I walk all the time and still weigh 20 stone.. :(
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:17:24, 10/09/16 »
If you can I would suggest you do it midweek rather than a weekend. Before we did the Pennine Way I had heard about masses of people on the hills and Horton in Ribblesdale being packed out.  We were there and on Pen y Ghent midweek at the end of June and it was like lovely and quiet. Unless of course you'd rather be in a crowd!

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:39:43, 10/09/16 »
YEAH, sensible to get used to continuous walking over, say, ten miles before you try the Y3P.  Anyone know if there is still a tea van on the roadside after the first hill, at weekends? 

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:44:35, 10/09/16 »
Aye, there's the van at Ribblehead (calls itself the 4th peak  ::) ) and there's refreshments available at Philbin farm after the 2nd too.
Both on weekends and bank holidays only IIRC.
For the record, I find Sunday's pretty quiet as well as the week days... Certainly nowhere near the hoards that flock up there on the Saturdays.

FenceHugger

« Reply #5 on: 15:34:04, 11/09/16 »
Thanks for all the advice and tips, much appreciated. Let the training begin!

Oxenhoper

« Reply #6 on: 21:13:35, 11/09/16 »
Hope the party I passed on the descent from Whernside at 5 this afternoon are OK.  There were about 8 of them, around 20 years old, doing the 3 peaks for charity but one of the girls had suffered a knee injury and was obviously in some trouble.  They kept waiting for her to catch up but I feared that, as a result, they might end up benighted on Ingleborough.  The seemed a really nice bunch of people.  They evidently hadn't walked the three hills individually before, as they were asking me what the ascent of Ingleborough was like.  Bloody steep, as I recall from doing it 30 years ago from that side and swearing never to do it again.
Oxenhoper was born in Burnley but had the sense to move somewhere nicer at the age of five days.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:54:44, 10/10/16 »
Completed the walk in 9hrs 56 minutes yesterday.  A really nice days walking, a tad breezy and chilly on the peak tops but on the whole good walking weather.  Was lovely to see a gentleman in his late 60's scrambling up Ingleborough and at the top amongst all the others in their plethora of technical walking/hiking kit he stood in his corduroy trousers, short sleeve shirt and tie !  Bet he even had a tweed jacket in his rucksack should the weather turn "really" cold :D.  Fantastic days walking although not much time to stop and admire the views, was fairly quiet too until Ribblehead but even there we weren't really tripping over people.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy