Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 1318 times)

pinkhippy

Hi!
« on: 00:22:16, 01/08/20 »
Hi All, I'm adding myself to the new members list! I am from rural Hampshire, but have been living in Peru for the last seven years. I love hiking, rock-climbing and camping in the mountains (here we can do mostly wild camping as there are few official campsites and very little int the way of laws). I got into outdoor adventures after I left the UK, so am excited to get some tips and advice about what fun camping and hiking trips to do whenever I can get back there!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: 06:26:42, 01/08/20 »
Welcome from Aberdeenshire. I also ‘emigrated’ from Hampshire, but to somewhere less exotic than Peru.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:29:36, 01/08/20 »
And greetings from Northumberland :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:55:06, 01/08/20 »
Welcome to the forum from the southern edge of the Lake District. :)

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos from Peru. O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Booga

« Reply #4 on: 10:02:39, 01/08/20 »
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're in a lovely part of the world for hiking :)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:40:02, 01/08/20 »
Hi from Devon:)

Visited Peru and hiked the Inca rail in '02 - great memories.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:18:52, 01/08/20 »
Welcome from Portsmouth, seen by some as still being part of Hamshire.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:50:52, 01/08/20 »
I think it still is, although some of of my Southampton compatriots (mainly football fans) might wish otherwise. I remember frequent trips to Southsea and the funfair. I have also worked in Cosham and Portchester and departed on sea trials from Portsmouth docks and Gosport.

Warbler

« Reply #8 on: 13:15:00, 01/08/20 »
Welcome to the forum. I also live in Hampshire, although not particularly rural.

I must admit, I'm confused with this. I've always thought Portsmouth to be in Hampshire. What other county could it be in?
Or is it considered by some to be the Singapore or Hong Kong of the British Isles?

pinkhippy

« Reply #9 on: 14:32:39, 01/08/20 »
Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

@Jac - I bet the Inca Trail has changed a lot since you did it in 2002... there are a lot more controls now and you can only get tickets through a licensed guide/agency. There's a limit to 500 people on the trail per day, but if feels super crowded as those 500 people are on the same sections at the same time. It's still and incredible hike though.

@Gunwharfman - Wikipedia says Portsmouth is in Hampshire, so it must be true!  ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:31:12, 01/08/20 »
Some controls were already in force on the Inca Trail when we did it and the camping areas were fairly busy but while walking it didn't feel too crowded.  We took a 'tailor-made' trip so though we were in a group of 4 couples on the trail itself we weren't bussed around with the same crowd of people for three weeks but had time to ourselves to explore a bit.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy