Author Topic: Peak District walking trip - Looking for comments and suggestions, please  (Read 1625 times)

VancouverDen

Hi everyone,
I’m in the early stages of planning a solo walking trip in England for three weeks or so in September 2018. Since I haven’t done a trip like this before, I’d very much appreciate your comments and suggestions on my trip wish list (below) as well as any day walks that you think might appeal to me.
My basic plan is to live in a home base in two or three towns in England for a week to 10 days each. I’d make day walks that start in or near each town or are accessible by public transit.
Peak District National Park and the surrounding areas look like great places for walking.
My wish list (subject to reality checks, of course):
- A home-base town that has rail connections with London and offers comprehensive services (Buxton?).
- A town with plenty of day-walking choices in the vicinity.
- Countryside – scenic, wooded and open, quiet, rolling.
- Big and small historical points of interest, including villages.
- Pathways that are well-defined. Easy-to-moderate level of difficulty (I’m 68 with a reasonable level of walking fitness but would prefer gentle routes that don’t usually require a lot of special attention to footing to avoid injury). Stiles are okay.
- Circular routes that aren’t longer than 6 miles or so, can be accessed on foot or by public transit and aren’t likely to be crowded on weekdays in September.
- Suggestions on other parts of England that might fit well with my “wish list”.
Thanks!
Dennis

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Hi Dennis

Buxton has good train and bus services, facilitating access to both the Dark and White Peak. I've often stayed there and used public transport to access walks in the area. 

Here's a link to public transport maps and timetables
https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_transport/default.asp

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Bakewell is a good central point in the Peak district with buses out in all directions but it does not have a train connection.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

VancouverDen

Many thanks for your helpful replies, Dovegirl and lostme1.
Regards,
Dennis
« Last Edit: 04:06:43, 28/10/17 by VancouverDen »

jontea

• Veteran Member
Hi Dennis,

It sounds to me like you would prefer the more gentle rolling hills of the 'White Peaks' of Derbyshire in the south, rather than the more rugged Dark Peaks in the North.

As mentioned, the Town of Buxton would be a good base. Concentrating on walks off the A515 Buxton to Ashbourne bus route. Pilsbury, Monyash, Hartington area?
Buxton is an hour by rail from Manchester, Piccadilly which would be your connection from London  O0

Enjoy your planning and walking ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Agreeing with the others, if you are going to the Peaks then Buxton sounds like it will suit you well. There are good transport links in to both sides of the Peak District but you will be traveling to the start of any walks.
A minor point is that if you are going from London you will change train at Stockport.

The other part of the country I would suggest is staying in Keswick in the Lake District. It is a bus ride from Penrith but there are walks from the town or a good bus and ferry service.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Matlock van be reached on the train from London by changing at Derby, which is on the Midland Main Line.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

VancouverDen

Many thanks for your helpful information, jontea, Ridge and Lee in Doncaster. I'm really pleased with all the tips that I've received and will definitely take them into consideration as I figure out exactly what to do, where to go and how to get there.  :)
Regards,
Dennis

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy