Author Topic: Maps for my trip  (Read 5453 times)

Berty Allen

Maps for my trip
« on: 15:56:24, 08/10/08 »
Hi everyone, i wonder if any of you can help. I need maps for my trip, does anyone know of a cheap reliable source? last time i used Map and Compass but they were a let down!

Thanks

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Maps for my trip
« Reply #1 on: 21:32:02, 08/10/08 »
I tend to go in to a shop and buy them, you can touch them, open them out... :smitten: (sorry I'll stop now)

Ordering books, maps etc. over the internet work out how much you are saying once you include postage before you decide if it is worth doing.

goody

« Reply #2 on: 21:32:08, 11/10/08 »
if there not maps that you are going to be using all the time then pop down to your local library and have a look in there i have had a couple from mine

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 01:53:40, 13/10/08 »
Sorry been away for a while where you going ? :-\
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

bacon51

« Reply #4 on: 19:16:25, 20/10/08 »
Berty, what do you mean by," last time I used map and compass but they were a let down." ?
For O.S. maps go to a good book shop. O.S. ( Ordnance Survey ) maps are the best but cover Britain only.
If you let me know which countries you are going to I can advise you on which ones.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:07:40, 20/10/08 »
Berty, what do you mean by," last time I used map and compass but they were a let down." ?

I guess me means this website http://www.mapandcompass.co.uk/ that sells maps.

kevc

« Reply #6 on: 21:18:51, 20/10/08 »
Excellent tip there goody, i'd never thought of that before but just saved myself £25 + on OS maps needed for a LDP i'm doing next week. It was also he first time i'd been in to my library in a long time, long enough in fact for my card to have expired 5 years ago  ;D

Also bacon, i know the standard is OS, but i recently went on a walk and a mate brought along a map his dad had purchased some time ago and it was much better for reading the terrain as it was shaded with contour lines (imagine Google earth terrain with lines). It also had all the standard markings and info u would get on any OS map. I've never saw anything like these in the shops tho.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:36:56, 20/10/08 »
A lot of the maps in my local library are hard back (though not the one sat on the desk in front of me that I really must take back!) so I have been know to photocopy the bits I want to take with me either A4 on my printer or A3 at the library for £1.

I don't have a library card either, they never question that it says Mrs. Ridge or even Junior Ridge on the tickets that I use.

dave-harris

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:42:05, 20/10/08 »
Have a look online at the retailers, some do special offers every now and again.Other than that dash4it.com are cheaper than the rest and delivered to me in just 48hours foc.
I walk to live

kevc

« Reply #9 on: 22:08:55, 20/10/08 »
ridge for even less than £1 you can go onto multimap.com and copy and paste the bits u want into ms paint then print them for free :) its how i've done most of my walks this year.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:32:43, 21/10/08 »
ridge for even less than £1 you can go onto multimap.com and copy and paste the bits u want into ms paint then print them for free :) its how i've done most of my walks this year.

Kev

I've just had a look at mulitmap and tried them out with a couple of places that I know. For round my home in North London it shows every single path but no contours, when I put in Glenridding there was nothing where there should be a number of great big hills. Am I being crap with the technology here or is that the way it is?

Ridge

PS I've just thought, I only pay £1 when I want A3, as I can do A4 copies on my printer it would cost the same in ink as printing off multimap.

kevc

« Reply #11 on: 10:42:50, 21/10/08 »
well you have to make sure you select the OS under Map on multimap (top left corner)

The quality u get out isn't always quite as good as the real thing obviously but if your only going out for a day and don't want to fork out the £9 odd for a map u might use once i find it quite useful.

bacon51

« Reply #12 on: 11:17:00, 21/10/08 »
kevc, what was the make of your mate's dad's map? Bartholomew?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:02:01, 21/10/08 »
well you have to make sure you select the OS under Map on multimap (top left corner)

What a nice way of saying 'Yes you are being crap'.

Thanks.

Berty Allen

« Reply #14 on: 13:45:07, 21/10/08 »
Thanks for your responses on this matter. I looked around and finally bought from www.dash4it.co.uk [nofollow] they were the cheapest and i recieved the maps in the post next morning. I could not beleive it, it has truly restored my faith in internet purchasing. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy