Author Topic: Mad Dog and an Englishman go walking . . The West Highland Way in November  (Read 7087 times)

IanyZen

Hola amigos, I’m Zen the four-legged cute one in the photos.  [/color] :smitten:
After Ian, my best buddy’s lazy failed attempt to complete a trip report on GR11 a few years back  [/color] :knuppel2: , I’ve grabbed the laptop..to tell you about our West Highland Way in Nov 2016.  
It won’t be long..it’s a bu**er typing with these paws, and it's nigh on impossible to rotate the photos. Enjoy  [/color] :)
Why November?  ‘cause there’s no midges! I hate them as well. Need I say more. [/color]
  [/color]
Day One, finally arrived. (Brighton – Milngavie – Craigallian Loch) [/color]
I knew we were off somewhere as he’s been checking his airbed repairs, after I burst it on our last trip. Oops!  [/color]
But, what’s this – I’m being carried up & down moving staircases into tunnels. I know Ian’s getting on, but usually we walk. Startled a few passersby  [/color] ;D , who kicked and stood on me on the train    :tickedoff: ..not a place I’m hurrying back .. Finally on the real train with carpets (sweet) & views..Hey, if you squash your face against the window and look ahead you can see everything..any other way, it’s a blur. Lots of friendly folk for the mammoth journey. Not surprising as we went through Yorkshire.. I got to level with you, Yorkshire is tops, but I’m prepared to give Scotland a go.  
http://i63.tinypic.com/so1gtj.jpg[/IMG
I always leave my mark at the start.. [/color]
Don’t laugh.. on one walk Ian collected a few pebbles, carried them for 2 weeks then tossed them in the sea!  [/color] ::)
http://i66.tinypic.com/xpd7ht.jpg[/IMG
Hey, away we go .. [/color]
http://i63.tinypic.com/x53xbp.jpg[/IMG]
Top camping spot.(Craigallian Fire Memorial). I felt really safe..there was a beautiful warm aurora emanating from the rock. [/color] O0
Good luck on your next adventure
Ian & Zen

IanyZen

Okay, looks like the photos didn't upload. sorry.
Ian & Zen

IanyZen

I always leave my mark at the start..  
 Don’t laugh.. on one walk Ian collected a few pebbles, carried them for 2 weeks then tossed them in the sea!  
Ian & Zen

IanyZen

Hey, away we go ..  

Top camping spot.(Craigallian Fire Memorial). I felt really safe..there was a beautiful warm aurora emanating from the rock.    O0
Ian & Zen

IanyZen

Day Two (Craigallian Loch – Drymen)  
Now, Ian is the founding member of the Jammy [censored] Weather Club’ so it was no surprise to wake up to bright sunshine. I’m not grumbling..he’s ace to go trekking with.  
Despite the sun, we had a short day, as Ian couldn’t resist indulging himself at Glengoyne Distillery. He made the pathetic excuse that the café ahead was not open yet, so he needed to kill time. Pathetic, as we never went to the café!  

Chilling in the sun – who said Scottish weather was bad!  

Always eat at the table.  
Top man, Ian. Brought my favourite trekking food. Hope he remembered to post some up here as I don’t see too many shops..  

Making friends   J [/color]

View on road to Clachan Inn, Scotland’s oldest licensed pub.  

Just can’t beat a pub with a fire & a tartan carpet. I’m warming to Scotland.  

Apparently the beer was superb..surely not better than Yorkshire.  
As usual, after a few I'm the one that has to remember the way back to the tent.   ::)
Ian & Zen

IanyZen

Day Three (Drymen to Rowardennan)  
OMG… our beautiful tent turned white overnight… and Ian’s destroying it..  
Reminded me when I trashed his last tent at Tan Hill Inn chasing a sheep. Oops. It’s amazing what you can do with some tape.  
On closer inspection, he was breaking the ice off it..Wonder if that’ll be our last night in a tent. I want a B&B! I want a B&B! Oh, a cosy room with sausages & black pudding…yummy   J [/color]  

Now, one of my bi**hes… er girlfriends, Daisy. She’s from Nepal. Well she told me her best buddy, Pawan ran this Way in less than 2 days.. Not sure if it’s the same Way as she said there were lakes and superb views….  
Wow…  

Me with the 'Rab' Man

Views of Loch Lomond from Conic Hill [/color]

Yeah… B&B !  Do they have black pudding in Scotland?                       
Ian & Zen

IanyZen

Day Four (Rowardennan to Crianlarich) ...  
My paws are tired . . .  More later    :)
Ian & Zen

Mel

• Veteran Member
Woof woof woof rumble rumble yap  O0

(which translates to "Well I've enjoyed the story so far and I'm looking forward to the next bit")

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Cairn hopper

Nice touch.  I look forward to the rest.

Jac

• Veteran Member
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
More please, Zen!    :)

IanyZen

Day Four (Rowardennan to Crianlarich)
Something’s up !   No, not England beating Scotland that night.
We only stay at B&B when we’re totally drowned or knackered.. the Way has been pretty easy going, flat wide paths & sun shining . .
The cheeky devil, had invited a friend along for a couple of days. Kept that one quiet . . I thought this was OUR holiday.  :(
She doesn’t know what she’s in for…He’s brought the big boots  - this is going to get wet & muddy.  ;D ;D    
. . Everyone loves a dog hug, don’t they?  ;)
Okay, let’s plan . . first, must get free of this lead . . . then glorious mud, glorious mud . .

Free at last  ;)

Loch Lomond

Rowchoish Bothy

I was sad to say goodbye to the Loch . .  :'(

Needn’t have bothered, the path was littered with roots and stones & she tripped over and fell in the stream . . impressed me though as she got up & carried on without a murmur … ahh Ian, she would’ve made a good catch.
Ian used to be a bit of a moaner… I once pulled him over into a load of thorn bushes . . ouch  :tickedoff:
. . he spent the next week cursing me & flicking the splinters at me . . Toughened him up, as when I pulled him over on the second day of another walk, he broke a rib, but soldiered on for next two weeks.  O0
Must control my urges.  :D

Let’s be straight, there is no way I’m giving my spot up in the tent,  :knuppel2:
 so, where’s she sleeping?
With limited daylight, I was really enjoying less hours walking & more hours chilling, so I was perplexed with the guest houses & campsite all closed, we’d pass lovely bothies, even a cave, fit for an outlaw, without a thought of stopping . . until arrr, a lovely oldy worldy pub  .. The Drover’s Inn…
Urrr .  .it shivers me to tell you . . the most gruesome sight  .  .
A giant stuffed bear .  . what a dreadful way to go . .

Ian insisted on having a meal, which he shared, calming me down . . and a few treats. Good lad had posted a few in the package he picked up earlier at the B&B.  :angel:
It was Saturday live music night & they’d been full for months . .  phew. . .

Got my night goggles out and led him through the darkness, every now ‘n’ again, glancing back . . no one followed . . .
 :)
Ian & Zen

IanyZen

Day Five  - Crianlarich to Bridge of Orchy

Back after a dog nap  ;)
Ian & Zen

Mel

• Veteran Member
Loving it  O0

...... "Catsssssssssss"......

Ahh, now you're awake from your dog nap .....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy