Author Topic: Where is this?  (Read 18139 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Where is this?
« Reply #15 on: 19:48:59, 22/04/19 »

Most remote spot I have been to in Britain is Sule Skerry - in fact I have been lucky enough to spend several nights there in total.

I looked it up, that really is miles away.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:04:15, 22/04/19 »
Not been there actually, but the shore looked very 'West Coast of Scotland", and the shape of the inlet is rather distinctive. The presence of trees narrowed it down more (ruled out the Western Isles, for example), but the cliffs and hills in the background puzzled me somewhat - not typical for the Highlands. To be honest, I might not have found it had BuzyG not mentioned Skye.

I presume that if the shot had been taken from a bit higher up, the Cuillin might have been visible to the left of the distant hill?

I think you are right about the view from higher up. I also have a colour photo from western side of Arcasaid Mhor (big harbour).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:01:08, 22/04/19 »
How on earth did you narrow it down to Rona? Did you view many places? I resolved the Flickr URL you posted to the original and it does say Acarseid Mor, South Rona but I've no idea how (or if) you got there.

Map reading, Rob (and no I am not being facetious).  ;)

I only started looking at online pictures to confirm that I was right - once I had spotted the inlet on the 1:50,000 OS map I knew that I had it.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:14:37, 22/04/19 »
Looked in there once, maybe thirty years ago while kayaking around the island. Midgy as hell, we fled up the coast to a windier place. The stone church on the east coast is also worth a visit.

Looks very different from water level.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:38:22, 22/04/19 »
Map reading, Rob (and no I am not being facetious).  ;)

I only started looking at online pictures to confirm that I was right - once I had spotted the inlet on the 1:50,000 OS map I knew that I had it.

Never thought of trying that, I've been learning about navigation and map reading for hours. Unless there's a great surprise waiting for me further in this tome what I don't know I don't know is shrinking - my map reading isn't too terrible - little bit of improvement relating to visualising contour gradient but haven't learned much else about maps.

Plenty to learn about navigation though. I've resisted the urge to read it all so as not to overload my brain. Will be practicing it in 4 sessions like the book says which should stand me in good stead. Having trouble selecting a good area to practice though. I expect somewhere flat(ish) with plenty of linear features would be ideal or do you think otherwise?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:43:55, 22/04/19 »
If you have some idea in the first place. Then you can find places on Google.

Firstly the scene looks Scottish.  Then there is the lighting.  Though a dull day the sun is clearly in front of the camera.  So the west coast.  There is a short stretch of water In front of the island in the distance. So inner Hebrides.  Mull or Skye most likely.  My best guess skye 

Then once the general area is confirmed. If you have the patience you can find the view on Google earth and bing OS view.  Or simply try a few more educated guesses to narrow it down.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:45:24, 22/04/19 »
Thanks BuzyG and Richard for clearing up how you found it.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:17:28, 22/04/19 »
Sorry.  I'm having a compulsive urge to hijack your topic Bigfoot Mike with a "where is it?" pic of my own....

Ignore the black dot on the right, it's most likely sheep poo on the lense after I dropped my camera.

I am fairly certain there is one person who will know where this is if that person reads this topic.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:31:30, 22/04/19 »
One more post about Bigfoot_Mike's photo (sorry Mel). I'm very impressed you found that on the map Richard I think I've found it with various cheats and a little bit of map reading is it Rona Lodge in the photo at NG6172457087?
« Last Edit: 09:27:51, 23/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 05:24:49, 23/04/19 »
Rob, that is Rona Lodge. Here you can buy the special Rona stamps and Rona venison.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:26:13, 23/04/19 »
Is the sheep poo a clue, Mel?

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:56:36, 23/04/19 »
Sorry.  I'm having a compulsive urge to hijack your topic Bigfoot Mike with a "where is it?" pic of my own....

I am fairly certain there is one person who will know where this is if that person reads this topic.
Darn, no idea where this could be, but I am guessing the 'one person who will know'  is Sunnydale  :D

Looks as though you had a grand day Mel  8)

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:27:21, 23/04/19 »
.. a "where is it?" pic of my own....

Hmm- the scarring along the shores suggest a reservoir, and that deep ravine with the cairn topped rounded hill behind is quite a feature - I'm guessing southern Pennines, but I cannot pin it down.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:44:08, 23/04/19 »
The tree in the foreground suggests possibly looking southish?
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:47:17, 23/04/19 »

Balderhead Reservoir, south of Middleton in Teesdale.

I was wrong about the Southern Pennines.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy