Author Topic: Damage to jacket due to rucksack  (Read 3306 times)

pfrench74

Damage to jacket due to rucksack
« on: 15:54:25, 30/05/19 »
Afternoon,

Just wanted some opinion on something or wondering if others have experienced this.

Yesterday after a days walk using a new daysack for the first time (a Technicals 25L one from Blacks), I think the waistband has damaged my jacket, I will assume through some kind of friction -related damage.

The top is one of the nylon outer hybrid ( insulated core) coats which has been worn before on other walks with no issues from backpack at all.

Anyone else experienced this at all? I am thinking of complaining/returning.
« Last Edit: 16:23:55, 30/05/19 by pfrench74 »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Damage to jacket due to rucksack
« Reply #1 on: 16:31:29, 30/05/19 »
No.  I've got the odd base layer with wear on the front of the shoulders from straps but have never had a waistband problem.  Where has the wear occurred - front, rear or sides?
Solvitur Ambulando

pfrench74

« Reply #3 on: 16:44:08, 30/05/19 »
No.  I've got the odd base layer with wear on the front of the shoulders from straps but have never had a waistband problem.  Where has the wear occurred - front, rear or sides?

Just tried posting a pic below. But in case you can't see it, the damage is on the front side. Looks like rubbing damage.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:05:18, 30/05/19 »
Supplementary Qs.  Did you wear your waistband dogged tight?  Where on your body was it sitting?  The wear looks a bit high for a correctly fitted waistband but it is hard to tell.  Were your previous packs similar in design?
Solvitur Ambulando

pfrench74

« Reply #5 on: 17:16:10, 30/05/19 »
Supplementary Qs.  Did you wear your waistband dogged tight?  Where on your body was it sitting?  The wear looks a bit high for a correctly fitted waistband but it is hard to tell.  Were your previous packs similar in design?

Hi, appreciate the replies.

My previous pack is a 35L and a little longer (the waistband fits round the waist) and I bought something a little smaller for single person day usage. The waitband on the pack sits quite high up (the pack isn't really long and sits quite high). I was placing is down a bit so perhaps not it's "natural" position.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:11:49, 30/05/19 »
I think therein lies your answer.  Packs are supposed to sit on your hip bones. This transfers the weight directly down your legs as opposed to carrying it on your shoulders.  If the waist band is too high it has nothing to grasp and will rub in your jacket which, being nylon, will be prone to friction "burns".  Without seeing it on, it is hard to be sure, but  I would suggest either your pack is incorrectly adjusted or it is the wrong size (as opposed to volume). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLYPh_2nPyY et al.
Solvitur Ambulando

pfrench74

« Reply #7 on: 18:44:11, 30/05/19 »
I think therein lies your answer.  Packs are supposed to sit on your hip bones. This transfers the weight directly down your legs as opposed to carrying it on your shoulders.  If the waist band is too high it has nothing to grasp and will rub in your jacket which, being nylon, will be prone to friction "burns".  Without seeing it on, it is hard to be sure, but  I would suggest either your pack is incorrectly adjusted or it is the wrong size (as opposed to volume). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLYPh_2nPyY [nofollow] et al.

Thanks. I believe you are no doubt correct. The pack was a "one size" and not available is various sizes/fits. Comparing against the other pack and the difference is immediately noticeable. I'm not particularly tall so quite surprised about the fit really. It doesn't have a height adjust on it so don't think i can do anything about it unfortunately. Going to see if I can return (was bought online), or possibly sell on.

pfrench74

« Reply #8 on: 18:59:42, 30/05/19 »
I think therein lies your answer.  Packs are supposed to sit on your hip bones. This transfers the weight directly down your legs as opposed to carrying it on your shoulders.  If the waist band is too high it has nothing to grasp and will rub in your jacket which, being nylon, will be prone to friction "burns".  Without seeing it on, it is hard to be sure, but  I would suggest either your pack is incorrectly adjusted or it is the wrong size (as opposed to volume). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLYPh_2nPyY [nofollow] et al.

Here's a pic

https://www.flickr.com/photos/181726364@N02/47966967983/in/dateposted-public/ [nofollow]

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:00:48, 30/05/19 »
I watched a bit of the Cotswold video, the saleslady suggested a 60-65L because her customer was planning on hiking the Pennine Way. I carry a 48L, more than enough for me and I've still got the room for cooking equipment if I ever chose to carry such stuff. I could imagine a 55L to be my absolute maximum but not more.

Anyway back to the problem which I have to confess has never happened to any of my clothing. From the photo, it looks as the nylon material has bunched up from, as already suggested by others, the possibility that the waist strap may have been tightened over the squishy tummy area instead of securing it just below the Iliac Crest of the hipbones.

When hiking I always secure my waistband first, then my shoulder straps and then the horizontal strap. I feel most comfortable if I'm carrying the rucksack weight on my hips, the shoulder straps I just pull them tight enough to secure it comfortably to my back and to avoid any oscillating movement on my shoulder bones.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:03:01, 30/05/19 »
Yes, I've just looked at your photo, waist belt very much secured in the wrong place.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:21:10, 30/05/19 »
Yes, I've just looked at your photo, waist belt very much secured in the wrong place.
Seconded.
Solvitur Ambulando

pfrench74

« Reply #12 on: 19:25:34, 30/05/19 »

Cheers. I think I need to get rid then or return. I don't believe there's a way to adjust on this pack unfortunately.  Unless there's a way I'm not aware of of how to adjust on smaller sized packs

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:10:47, 30/05/19 »

Mmmm ... more of a belly band.

Before reading ninthace's comment, I thought the mark resembled heat/burn damage, so friction must have been it's cause.
If you like the rucksack and don't carry much weight you could keep it and simply stop using the 'waist' band. Or, if you feel need to use the waist band to take the weight - you could try loosening off the shoulder straps so as to lower the pack down your back (until it rests on your hips). It may not be attractive if this places the padded section of the straps beyond your shoulders  :(
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

pfrench74

« Reply #14 on: 06:15:11, 31/05/19 »

Mmmm ... more of a belly band.

Before reading ninthace's comment, I thought the mark resembled heat/burn damage, so friction must have been it's cause.
If you like the rucksack and don't carry much weight you could keep it and simply stop using the 'waist' band. Or, if you feel need to use the waist band to take the weight - you could try loosening off the shoulder straps so as to lower the pack down your back (until it rests on your hips). It may not be attractive if this places the padded section of the straps beyond your shoulders  :(

Cheers. I did have a bit of a play around with the straps last night and get the waist strap lower down. The shoulder straps still feel ok though the chest strap is now a little high up. I'll give it another go and see how it goes.

Cheers for everyone's advice so far on this. I've never felt a need to (or needed to) adjust packs before so good to know and chalk up to experience.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy