Author Topic: Berghaus Jacket  (Read 1053 times)

martin71

Berghaus Jacket
« on: 10:20:43, 21/02/19 »
New to walking ( except going to KFC) and looking to get some half decent equipment.  My aim is to summit Ben Nevis for a charity walk in September.

Was looking at the Berghaus Deluge pro jacket. My nearest outdoor shop is over an hours drive so was wondering has anyone any experience of this? Is it too light to take to the mountain? Is it compact to roll into a back pack should the unforeseen happen and it’s a sunny day.  Any advice greatly appreciated.
[size=unset]
[size=2.5rem]  

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Berghaus Jacket
« Reply #1 on: 14:21:26, 21/02/19 »

Welcome to the forum from Orkney  :)

I can't comment on the jacket, but I have a pair of Berghaus Deluge waterproof trousers, which do the job well in the disgusting weather that we get up here.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:58:16, 22/02/19 »
Summiting Ben Nevis is all about having the right weather conditions, and tried and trusted gear.
Ive only been to the summit once, two years ago, in Mid October, and i was extremely lucky with the weather.
A huge anticyclone of settled weather resided over NW Scotland, and the entire summit plateau of Britains highest mountain, was free of cloud for nearly a fortnight, quite a rare event.

The majority of walkers ascending the Glen Nevis tourist path, were prepared for the possibility of some very serious weather on the summit, but there were your usual idiots, in casual clothing.

I even saw three locals in full Scottish clothing, kilt and tweed jackets, probably diehard Munroe baggers.

The summit was cloud free, totally devoid of any snow, but hellish cold.

It was only when i took my gloves off for that essential trig point selfie, that i realised just how cold it was.

It took ages for my digits to regain some insulation.

I  could also see that the huge summit plateau, was an incredibly confusing mixture of small stoney pathway's going in every direction.

Even in perfect visibility, it was still a confusion of pathway's all looking the same.

The Tourist path was very easy to follow, very similar to the Llanberis path up Snowdon, but taking at least an hour or two longer due to the huge difference in elevation.

90% of the mountain is straightforward, its only when you reach the lower levels of the vast plateau that the technical difficulties arose.

Fingers crossed, September and early October can offer superb weather opportunities for climbing the mountain, but choice of clothing is essential.

Throughout the entire year, the temperature on the summit never goes above 3C due to its incredible height.

I wore very lightweight fully protective waterproof clothing, a thermal top and Buffalo windshirt to the summit, as well as full length Skins compression tights.

Another bit of kit that worked a treat, was my Lowe Alpine Mountain cap, which was worn for most of the walk.

Your choice of jacket, must allow for the possibility of very unpleasant conditions at the summit, it must be fully waterproof, and offer full protection from the elements.

Climbing Benn Nevis is a real lottery, i was more than lucky with the weather on offer, especially considering it was the 19th October.

The entire mountain was cloud free, and it was totally calm from Glen Nevis carpark to the summit, almost like a cool summers day.

Clothing of choice must offer full body protection, in all weather, particularly in the colder months.

If the Berghaus Deluge jacket is more of a summer item, then i would look elsewhere.

Ben Nevis really requires a four season jacket, due to the extreme temperature range from Glen Nevis to the summit.

I only wore the lightweight clothing because of the weather, if it had been windy at the summit, then something more substantial would have been worn.

I had taken backup clothing with me,in my rucksack as i was intent on reaching the summit come what may, but it was not needed.

Fingers crossed for good weather, as climbing Benn Nevis using the tourist path is not that difficult, but do not forget the temperature will be very close to freezing if you make the summit.
« Last Edit: 14:06:25, 22/02/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:10:22, 22/02/19 »
To answer the question ... I haven't got one but like Richard the trousers are very good so I suspect for your intended use the jacket will be fine, particularly having looked at the specs.
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:07:34, 22/02/19 »
Are the Deluge waterproof trousers lined or unlined. I have taken the lining out of my Trespass water proof trousers as i find it drags on the legs, so looking for a pair of unlined troosers.
It's all uphill from here.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:44:20, 22/02/19 »
Unlined
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:51:14, 22/02/19 »
Sussamb. Thanks
It's all uphill from here.

martin71

« Reply #7 on: 18:09:08, 22/02/19 »
Thanks for the help.  Walking is all new and the task in front of me ( excuse the pun) is a real uphill struggle.  The choice of gear is vast.  The trek is a long way off yet so it’ll give me time to get some fitness built up.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy