Author Topic: Suggestion for a 2-3 hour walk in the Yorkshire Dales  (Read 2829 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
If you were going to be spending a night at Scotch Corner, to the north east of the Yorkshire Dales, and then making your way back to the Bristol area later in the day, where would you go in the Yorkshire Dales for a reasonably straightforward walk with something to interest a teenager and ten year old who are getting a little jaded with peak bagging in the Brecon Beacons? (See the Wales forum for my latest trip report to see what I mean  ;) ). I'm not looking for an epic, because we'll have lots of driving to do too, so 2-3 hours. Ideally there'd be somewhere nice to eat lunch in the middle or at the end of the walk. I wasn't much older than my eldest is now when I last went to the Yorkshire Dales, all I can think of is Malham Cove.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Suggestion for a 2-3 hour walk in the Yorkshire Dales
« Reply #1 on: 20:18:37, 10/04/16 »
From Scotch Corner you could reach Dufton in around 45 mins drive then walk up to High Cup Nick and back is a 13km round trip.

You could also drive to Bowlees north of Middleton-in-Teesdale and walk up the west bank of the Tees via Low and High Force

Park up in Kirkby Stephen, walk up to Nine Standards, you might even see the parrots.
« Last Edit: 20:32:33, 10/04/16 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:04:41, 10/04/16 »
From Scotch Corner you could reach Dufton in around 45 mins drive then walk up to High Cup Nick and back is a 13km round trip.

You could also drive to Bowlees north of Middleton-in-Teesdale and walk up the west bank of the Tees via Low and High Force

Park up in Kirkby Stephen, walk up to Nine Standards, you might even see the parrots.

Thanks for those suggestions. Think I might hang on to those for next time we're on the way up to the Lake District.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:21:24, 10/04/16 »
What about Gunnerside - up one side, down the other?
Solvitur Ambulando

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:27:50, 10/04/16 »
What about Gunnerside - up one side, down the other?

That looks like an option - could vary it a bit depending on how long we've got.

datz

« Reply #5 on: 12:55:28, 11/04/16 »
Reeth -  maiden moor - grinton - Reeth a nice walk with an interesting ancient monument on the way. Google maiden moor reeth for details as I can't post external links.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:42:05, 11/04/16 »
Reeth -  maiden moor - grinton - Reeth a nice walk with an interesting ancient monument on the way. Google maiden moor reeth for details as I can't post external links.

Here are three I have done in that area

http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2193
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2196
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2468
Solvitur Ambulando

vincebowdren

« Reply #7 on: 18:12:25, 11/04/16 »
Where would you go in the Yorkshire Dales for a reasonably straightforward walk with something to interest a teenager and ten year old?

From the A66, you could drop in to the top end of Swaledale - the area around Keld and Muker is very nice, there's a great and varied couple of walks over/around Kisdon hill in the middle, and good eating at the Farmers Arms in Muker.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:10:30, 11/04/16 »

From the A66, you could drop in to the top end of Swaledale - the area around Keld and Muker is very nice, there's a great and varied couple of walks over/around Kisdon hill in the middle, and good eating at the Farmers Arms in Muker.

I did this one last week in that area
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2741
Solvitur Ambulando

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:08:24, 11/04/16 »

Thanks for the suggestion.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:14:00, 11/04/16 »

Thanks. Plenty of choice now, I think we'll have to plan a week in the Dales some time.

wombat

« Reply #12 on: 22:31:47, 11/04/16 »
Thanks. Plenty of choice now, I think we'll have to plan a week in the Dales some time.

Only a week ? , been walking there for 20 years and still finding new walks  LOL,   ;) ;)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:11:25, 12/04/16 »

Only a week ? , been walking there for 20 years and still finding new walks  LOL,   ;) ;)

Just for starters  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy