Author Topic: White to Dark  (Read 1570 times)

Lazar

White to Dark
« on: 14:37:25, 16/11/18 »
Me and a friend have just done The Country Walking Magazine's white to the dark walk Bakewell to Hope what a really good walk and one I would recommend.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: White to Dark
« Reply #1 on: 16:50:59, 16/11/18 »
I agree.

I did over three separate Thursdays about three years ago, remember thinking even doing it that (relatively easy) way, that final section from Hathersage to Hope was a tough tread.

Did you actually use the stepping stones across the Derwent on section before, just before getting t Hathersage?

( I didn’t...I took one look at them, and found an alternate route.)

Murphy

« Reply #2 on: 17:38:57, 16/11/18 »
Yes, absolutely agree.  it is a great little walk.  I did it over 3 days, camping near Wardlow Mires, and then at Hathersage.  Easy to do it with B & B also.  Parked at the train station at Buxton, got the bus to Bakewell and then off we went.  If it's a weekend, then the Three Stags Head at Wardlow Mires is well worth of look....something really different!

Lazar

« Reply #3 on: 08:19:29, 17/11/18 »
No the stepping stones are closed had to cross the river at the road bridge.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:11:53, 17/11/18 »
No the stepping stones are closed had to cross the river at the road bridge.

Believe me...most likely a lucky escape from a drenching. I’ve talked to people who tell me they have often crossed them without falling in river...but still to see anybody cross them.

Lazar

« Reply #5 on: 10:06:50, 18/11/18 »
I have crossed them on another walk but it was summer. 😀

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:03:28, 18/11/18 »
Changes in conditions can make a huge difference to the difficulty of stepping stones. There are some stepping stones  past the western end of Loch Muick on the way up to Dubh Loch. I crossed them without any difficulty on a winter walk. On another occasion in the summer the weather was terrible with gales and driving rain.  The stones could not even be seen in the raging torrent. I held onto the bank and lowered a leg, but didn’t reach terra firma despite the water rising well above height. We decided to take a different route and wondered what had happened to the walker who had passed us 5 minutes before.

Steveandsam

« Reply #7 on: 12:14:05, 18/11/18 »
Hi Lazar, how well did you find it signed?.I'm doing it between Xmas and new year, really looking forward to it but I don't have the original route map/article from CW and a little surprised there's nothing available to buy online that i could find. I have downloaded the map and writt
en instructions that appear online but I'm not one for walking and constantly looking at phone.

Lazar

« Reply #8 on: 07:32:12, 19/11/18 »
Plenty of way markers quite distinctive as well.

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:56:48, 20/11/18 »
Theres a filthy great tree lying slap bang across the stepping stones at the moment - big shame as they're a real treat to cross when the rivers in a bit of spate around this time of year :-)

If anyone gets the chance its definitely worth walking this route and also around Offerton and Shatton Moor as the alternative views to the edges are stunning

Roy
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

derbytramper

« Reply #10 on: 07:36:24, 21/11/18 »
Thanks for posting this, i'd not come across it before. I'll definitely do the Hathersage to Hope section in the near future and maybe fill in the other sections at some point.

Lazar

« Reply #11 on: 09:37:56, 21/11/18 »
 O0

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #12 on: 12:31:16, 21/11/18 »
Hi Lazar, how well did you find it signed?.I'm doing it between Xmas and new year, really looking forward to it but I don't have the original route map/article from CW and a little surprised there's nothing available to buy online that i could find. I have downloaded the map and writt
en instructions that appear online but I'm not one for walking and constantly looking at phone.

I found this online, which seems to be the article from the CW magazine:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56cc47ca86db43e25e2f409b/t/57a337ffb8a79b06bc67426f/1470314501491/032-034+White+to+dark+route.pdf

Lazar

« Reply #13 on: 15:40:21, 21/11/18 »
It’s shows on there going across the stepping stones but as was said we had to walk to the road. We stayed over night in the Little John £35 including a great breakfast.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy