Author Topic: Is there one single national site showing open access land, permissive paths ?  (Read 4279 times)

Agentorange

Given this, what is the problem that you think can only be addressed by a national  map?

I don't think there is a problem as such, simply that it would be nice to have. It'd just be more convenient to be able to go to one place rather than having to visit 1/2 dozen different sites, not only that it might bring to my attention things I was entirely ignorant of . To use my examples further up the thread knowing that Meenfield woods or Magpie Bottom has those public access areas  allows me to plan and connect up walks or routes which otherwise I might not even be aware existed let alone undertake.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I don't think there is a problem as such, simply that it would be nice to have. It'd just be more convenient to be able to go to one place rather than having to visit 1/2 dozen different sites, not only that it might bring to my attention things I was entirely ignorant of . To use my examples further up the thread knowing that Meenfield woods or Magpie Bottom has those public access areas  allows me to plan and connect up walks or routes which otherwise I might not even be aware existed let alone undertake.
If you mean the path starting at TQ 54748 60960 going N from Magpie Bottom, my OS shows it as a PROW and my OS app shows an open access area at Meenfield Woods.  It is not an area I know at all so I may be up the wrong tree but if I am correct about the areas, perhaps you need another source?
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
There are not likely to be many new permissive ways, the CLA made it pretty clear that landowners expect to be paid. When the government funding stopped for those permissive ways that Natural England had managed to bribe a few landowners to open up, they mostly seemed to have disappeared.
Not that many of the PW's in Shropshire showed much promise.

Now what might be really interesting is an independent site showing routes that ought to be opened, this was the the sort of the trigger that threw open the Scottish Land Reform Act only Scotland had target destinations rather than routes in the form of Munro's.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Agentorange

If you mean the path starting at TQ 54748 60960 going N from Magpie Bottom, my OS shows it as a PROW and my OS app shows an open access area at Meenfield Woods.  It is not an area I know at all so I may be up the wrong tree but if I am correct about the areas, perhaps you need another source?

Sorry Ninthace that's me being less than clear in my explanation - never helpful. The path I'm on about runs north and exits at Magpie bottom. I'm using OS map 147 and Bing maps not sure how up to date, so as you say may need another source.

If you start at TQ 542602 Paines Farm there's a PROW running pretty much NE, at about 547606 it's crossed N to S by a grey dash path and you can see a public access area slightly to the SE. If you head north up the grey dash path the kissing gate I mentioned is just above the A in rose cottAge farm. And there's another in the stand of trees 1/2 way between the PROW and the lane. On the face of it only the little area to the SE is marked as access land but there are placards at the fences on the PROW and the lane saying that the area from the PROW up to the lane is ok to walk on.

I'll get to the Meenfield wood bit later.  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I became aware of that site after I was blocked by the temporary closure of CROW land by the landowner.  It would have saved me an abortive walk had I known in advance.
Solvitur Ambulando

Camina Walks

I think there's a pretty ok niche market for specific paths, maybe we should start a kickstarter to see if anyone is willing to chip in for an international site of that sort.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Hi Camina do you also suggest we trip over bridges????
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
Oooh, jimbob.  And I thought I was Chief Billy Goats Gruff round here  ;D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
I've already received a PM from Camina's 12 year old friend. Mel, you normally protect us from this type of stuff. Thought I would give you a hand. I know you are usually up to your neck disposing of out of date pork products and checking under bridges.  ;D ;D

Lisawinelove

Jimbob why are you so grumpy? I don't know Carmina and I'm 19 and I messaged you to try and understand what I've done wrong.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Appreciate the help jimbob  ;D   Good wing-men are hard to find  O0

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Well why don't you go to the correct part of the forum and introduce yourself in the normal way. Tell us what hikes you've been on etc.

Also advertising a dating agency is well against forum rules.

Lisawinelove

Near me mainly Cotswolds. Charlbury, walk to Broadway and my nearest is the waterway trail. What dating site?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy