Author Topic: Marseille to Nice  (Read 1728 times)

LOMAX

Marseille to Nice
« on: 11:05:16, 27/07/19 »
Just walked from Marseille to Nice to save £100 on the plane ticket. It took me 2 weeks so might not have been worth the effort.

Les Calanques were tricky to manage with a big pack... Lots of scrambling and not many places to wild camp. More road walking than I was expecting but all in all a great trip.

After Nice, met a friend and headed up into the Maritime Alps toward Tende.

400km in total.

[t

« Last Edit: 13:52:05, 27/07/19 by LOMAX »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Marseille to Nice
« Reply #1 on: 14:54:17, 27/07/19 »
Wonderful. I am so jealous. Great pics.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:50:03, 27/07/19 »
Just walked from Marseille to Nice to save £100 on the plane ticket. It took me 2 weeks so might not have been worth the effort.
You know there is a train?  Nice walk, bet it was hot!
Solvitur Ambulando

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 03:42:58, 28/07/19 »
A great selection of pics Lomax, looks an interesting walk with good variety O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:19:50, 28/07/19 »
Great pictures  O0
That pitch spot looks rough among the rocks and vegetation. The man and dog picture is a gem, were they wilted in the heat?.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:31:50, 28/07/19 »
A couple of years ago I walked 12 days on the GR4 from Grasse and en route, locals kept warning me about wild boar, aggressive sheepdogs, and wolves! I saw wild boar once and met an aggressive sheepdog (frightened the life out of me!) but no wolves!

Whilst on your hike were you warned of such problems? Did you experience any problems?

Impressed with your journey, it's a beautiful region. Great photos.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:52:14, 28/07/19 »
Looks like there's a couple of books worth if stories in those pictures!! Looks a good way to save £100  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:34:49, 30/07/19 »
Just when I'd asked Lomax about wild boars this appeared in today's Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/30/boar-wars-how-wild-hogs-are-trashing-european-cities

I've read that the UK has a boar problem in the Forest of Dean and I've also been warned about them when I've hiked in some areas of Kent, Surrey and Sussex. I've never seen one though.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:14:15, 30/07/19 »
Just when I'd asked Lomax about wild boars this appeared in today's Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/30/boar-wars-how-wild-hogs-are-trashing-european-cities

I've read that the UK has a boar problem in the Forest of Dean and I've also been warned about them when I've hiked in some areas of Kent, Surrey and Sussex. I've never seen one though.
  If you make the normal amount of disturbance a hiker makes you are unlikely to either, they are largely nocturnal  I lived in a valley where the locals used to shoot up to 100 a year and I only saw a live one once in 5 years and that was the back end disappearing fast.
Edit:  I forgot to mention, there is a road above St Raphael that was a good place to spot Wild Boar as people used to drive up there to hand feed them.  It was a long while ago so I do not know if it still goes on but I got some nice pictures when I was camping in the area.
« Last Edit: 15:35:33, 30/07/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy