Author Topic: BARGAIN THREAD  (Read 256808 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: BARGAIN THREAD
« Reply #690 on: 09:14:57, 18/11/19 »
…………....the most comfortable and quick-drying underwear I've ever owned!

As we get older, its amazing how many are afflicted with that problem.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #691 on: 10:17:38, 18/11/19 »
It's true if you have a urinary problem and lots of people do, this type of underwear can be very helpful because they are so easy to wash and so quick to dry and they can be thrown away at will if need be. I don't have that problem now but I did have in 2015 when I had my prostate removed because of Cancer. The Nurse said my incontinence would last for 10 days and the amazing thing was that it did. I didn't know about this Decathlon underwear then, if I had those 10 days would have been a lot easier to manage. Until 2015 I never gave underwear a thought, just popped into M & S and that was it, with an incontinence problem underwear becomes much more complicated, especially if you have to wear a catheter for a short while.

I do find however that in my case the underwear sizing is important for hiking/running comfort and effectiveness, I'm a medium, have a 32" waist and the choice for me is do I want an overall tight grip around my bum, hips, waist, and abdomen, or a less tight grip? Both sizes do grip me where they should and not where they shouldn't (the underwear is stretchy) but my choice is the 'L' versions, on me, they feel just right! I would even go so far to sometimes think, am I actually wearing any?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #692 on: 15:33:54, 25/11/19 »
Meindl Sport Wax 80g (Clear/Neutral) @ £4.75 with Free Delivery https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meindl-Sportwax-for-Leather-Footwear-Clear/143452132239

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #693 on: 07:23:52, 27/11/19 »
Anyone heard of much in the way of black Friday sales? I'm on the lookout for a warmer jacket for general use - to fill the gap between a fleece and a thickish down jacket

I may pop across to Snowdonia for a night or two but Cotswolds and Joe Brown don't mention Friday on their websites  :-\  so I'm a little undecided now

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #694 on: 10:24:13, 27/11/19 »
Anyone heard of much in the way of black Friday sales?

There's nothing about which I've seen which could be considered genuine bargains otherwise I'd have posted them.

You will no doubt have seen in the media that Which? magazine estimate that only 1 in 20 of all retailers are actually offering what would be considered genuine bargains for Black Friday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50551415

The outdoor market is definitely not helped by the fact that the vast majority of major retailers are owned by just one or two parent companies to the point where there is very little if any genuine competition in the market and there's no sign of this improving in the foreseeable future as high street retailers are currently biting  the dust one after another. These groups of companies unfortunately continue to try to deceive consumers into believing that these outlets are separate entities which is just not true. Most if not all of them have continuous ongoing 'sales' all year round quoting up to X% discount and these so called 'bargains' are often rotated between the various companies involved. Sticking the 'Black Friday' tag on thier website/advertising does not make these deals any better than their normal all year round 'sales'.

The bottom line is only buy when you know the bargain is genuine or keep your money until they are trying to clear old season stock to make way for the new season stock arriving in store.

It might not be to everone's taste but quite often the best bargains to be had are by buying second hand market via eBay etc.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #695 on: 11:13:15, 27/11/19 »
Totally agree  O0  and I don't mind second hand usually but was looking to treat myself to new this time if I can find what I want for a good price....

I guess the change of scenery would be a bit of a treat even if I don't find a bargain..... and I get to use my down 'bag and feel like I'm sleeping in a cloud  8)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #696 on: 11:19:44, 27/11/19 »
I was asked to buy a product for one of my clients yesterday, her niece had seen it advertised as a 'cheap' Black Friday bargain. I Googled the item in and got it £55.99 cheaper at Homebase who were not adverstising it as a Black Friday item.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #697 on: 16:45:39, 27/11/19 »
Anyone heard of much in the way of black Friday sales? I'm on the lookout for a warmer jacket for general use - to fill the gap between a fleece and a thickish down jacket

I may pop across to Snowdonia for a night or two but Cotswolds and Joe Brown don't mention Friday on their websites  :-\  so I'm a little undecided now

I'd be very careful of BF deals these days. Most of them are pumped priced which they then discount massively whilst not being as good as they seem.  If I was buying hardware I'd buy in january which are statistically the best sales of the year (and since hardware lasts the longest, waiting 2 months is trivial), if I was buying soft products like jackets I'd buy at the end of season as the shops change over from their spring/summer to autumn/winter products - you'll get a far deeper discount.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #698 on: 18:17:36, 27/11/19 »
Don't get me wrong, I'd be looking with my head well and truly screwed on - but, as I could do with a warmer jacket before spring, it's as good a time as any to at least look  O0

robrymond

« Reply #699 on: 09:37:52, 29/11/19 »
 Berghaus boots are on offer at Amazon for Black Friday:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Mens-Hillwalker-Brown-Chocolate/dp/B00SHGYYSI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

They have a selection of the Hillmaster and Lite versions too for around £60-£70 depending on size. Seems a decent price.

Pitboot

« Reply #700 on: 11:02:51, 04/12/19 »
https://media.craghoppers.com/catalog/product/cache/c687aa7517cf01e65c009f6943c2b1e9/C/M/CMW752_9MB_01_bynder_defined_type_product_01_1571222336.jpg

Don't know how good these are but a good price for Goretex.

£87.50 in this colour, or £95 in other shades.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #701 on: 13:23:12, 04/12/19 »
For the best selling point of the coat is what appears to be its longer length. That is always at the top of my list these days when I am tempted to buy something.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #702 on: 10:52:21, 07/12/19 »
Anyone noticed the Helly Hanson jackets and baselayers being sold at Screwfix.

If they're good enough for construction sites then..............

Did I mention the price is so much less than similar gear in Outdoor websites and shops.

No doubt the gear snobs will turn their noses up at them.  When I noticed a farmer buying a jacket yesterday and tell the staff that he had bought one two years ago and worn it non stop ever since but got it ripped whilst fencing then you know I think they'll be good for a few days out on a walk.

As for the wannabe SAS types, no, they're not made in camo. 😁

Too little, too late, too bad......

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #703 on: 14:50:05, 07/12/19 »
This one is relatively localised I'm afraid, but Gooutdoors in Wigan  are having a closing down sale with at least 30% off everything. I was in this morning and there's some really good buys to be had.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #704 on: 20:03:26, 07/12/19 »
https://media.craghoppers.com/catalog/product/cache/c687aa7517cf01e65c009f6943c2b1e9/C/M/CMW752_9MB_01_bynder_defined_type_product_01_1571222336.jpg

Don't know how good these are but a good price for Goretex.

£87.50 in this colour, or £95 in other shades.

Not sure what jacket that is in your link but I have one that looks very similar (also Craghoppers).  I wouldn't use it for hill walking - I would say it's more of a casual jacket with a water resistant finish - good for dog walking or short local walks..  I paid £25 for mine a couple of years ago so it may not be the same (either that or it's an impressive Black Friday mark up  :D  )

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy