Author Topic: Opinion on two different tents  (Read 1991 times)

Nomad32

Opinion on two different tents
« on: 23:38:34, 22/06/18 »
I have been looking at 3 man tents for me an my lady and a dog. I've narrowed my search down to two tents I think would be adequate. The msr elixer 3 or the terra nova wild country Hollie. What is everyone's thoughts on these tents. Is geodesic better than tunnel? What I want is a lightweight, durable, reliable 3 season tent.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Opinion on two different tents
« Reply #1 on: 08:21:21, 23/06/18 »

What sort of camping are you planning to do in this tent, Nomad? Long distance footpath, or short wild camping trips in the hills, for example.

Edit - and what size dog?!
« Last Edit: 08:26:01, 23/06/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:30:23, 23/06/18 »

I would be a bit hesitant about going too lightweight with a dog - claws on thin groundsheet. Depends upon the size and temperament of your dog I suppose.

I own a couple of small semi geodesics, and one small tunnel tent; the tunnel tent is the easiest to put up, especially if windy.

marmottungsten

« Reply #3 on: 12:39:12, 23/06/18 »
Warning!...Dogs and tents do not mix!!!  I saw a video of guy in Canada letting his dog sleep inside his expensive brand new tent.  He zipped it closed with the Dog sleeping inside while he went off to get firewood...When he came back the Dog had woken up, panicked because it couldn't get out  and chewed its way out of the tent, completely destroying it!  Because of the damage, he couldn't return it and he was several hundred dollars poorer!

Nomad32

« Reply #4 on: 12:55:30, 23/06/18 »
The dog will be trained with cheap Argos tents so it gets the idea. Actually we don't have the dog yet. It was more of a hypothetical question. We do plan on getting two dogs. Was just wandering what would be the best option for it. They will be collies. I have a vango 2 man tent for now and am looking for an upgrade. It would be used for 20 to 30 mile hikes over the weekend in Wales or derby. Wild camping

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:08:27, 23/06/18 »

Two collies!

You'll need a 3 man tent then, and a tough one at that. Of the two that you list, I would go for the Hoolie; just gut instinct, but I think that it will be simpler and tougher. And for surreptitious wild camping, drab green is the way to go.
« Last Edit: 16:15:36, 23/06/18 by richardh1905 »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:35:48, 23/06/18 »
Two :) collies, man , I would never go hiking with two things more intelligent than myself. ;D ;D
Too little, too late, too bad......

Nomad32

« Reply #7 on: 20:08:04, 23/06/18 »
The other option is to pack a dog tent but from a little research (googled it) there isn't much of a market for dog tents. Anyone know where I might find one?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:52:44, 23/06/18 »
Never heard of a dog tent before - but maybe a pup tent would do  :)

Seriously though, you would probably be better off with the dog in with you; they generally do not like being separated from their pack leader (you) and can be quite destructive, as marmot's post demonstrates.

Our spaniel chewed chunks out of the architrave when she was accidentally shut in a room. She comes into the tent with us and quite happily settles down on an old blanket.

Nomad32

« Reply #9 on: 00:44:53, 24/06/18 »
Never heard of a dog tent before - but maybe a pup tent would do  :)

Seriously though, you would probably be better off with the dog in with you; they generally do not like being separated from their pack leader (you) and can be quite destructive, as marmot's post demonstrates.

Our spaniel chewed chunks out of the architrave when she was accidentally shut in a room. She comes into the tent with us and quite happily settles down on an old blanket.
You're probably right. It'll just be trial and error. Most likely we will get a 3 man tent and a blanket for the dogs.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:29:51, 24/06/18 »
Blacks are selling the Vango Scafell 300 3 man tunnel tent for just £112 right now. Weight 2.9kg, so not too heavy for short wild camping trips if shared between two. No idea what it is like though.

marmottungsten

« Reply #11 on: 15:12:08, 24/06/18 »
Blacks are selling the Vango Scafell 300 3 man tunnel tent for just £112 right now. Weight 2.9kg, so not too heavy for short wild camping trips if shared between two. No idea what it is like though.

Not bad, but you can buy online and get a lighter, yet a lot cheaper alternative (if you don't mind bright colours?) 
For instance, the Naturehike Camping Dome Tent which is available direct from China on ebay.
 Like all the latest high tech US tent designs, it is based on (the Chinese like to copy everything) it comes with hanging clips on the inner so it can be erected very quickly, even by an inexperience camper.  It's a double wall tent too, with the inner being made largely of mesh, so you won't get condensation problems.  Naturehike tents get good reviews, because they are often better quality than the Western tents they are based on. 
 The 3 person version only weighs 2.3kg and it costs £76 with free postage...Now that is a bargain! 
« Last Edit: 15:17:24, 24/06/18 by marmottungsten »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:58:13, 24/06/18 »

Not bad, but you can buy online and get a lighter, yet a lot cheaper alternative (if you don't mind bright colours?) 
For instance, the Naturehike Camping Dome Tent which is available direct from China on ebay.
 Like all the latest high tech US tent designs, it is based on (the Chinese like to copy everything) it comes with hanging clips on the inner so it can be erected very quickly, even by an inexperience camper.  It's a double wall tent too, with the inner being made largely of mesh, so you won't get condensation problems.  Naturehike tents get good reviews, because they are often better quality than the Western tents they are based on. 
 The 3 person version only weighs 2.3kg and it costs £76 with free postage...Now that is a bargain!

A bargain indeed - I think that it is end of range as I don't see it on NatureHike's own website. Lurid colours might not be the best for wild camping in Wales or (especially) Derbyshire though.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:16:12, 25/06/18 »
We have a MSR Elixir 2 and we can't fault it, well, except we wish it was a bit lighter  :) It is a very well made, durable and reliable tent and we love it.

I don't know if the Hoolie will be a better tent for you or not, I've never camped out in one. Unless anyone has used both these tents it will be an opinion people are giving and not any practical info about the pros and cons of each tent. If you are wild camping in Wales or Derby I would not get an all mesh inner, I assume you will be pitching quite high up?
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:23:26, 25/06/18 »
We have a MSR Elixir 2 and we can't fault it, well, except we wish it was a bit lighter  :) It is a very well made, durable and reliable tent and we love it.

I don't know if the Hoolie will be a better tent for you or not, I've never camped out in one. Unless anyone has used both these tents it will be an opinion people are giving and not any practical info about the pr7os and cons of each tent. If you are wild camping in Wales or Derby I would not get an all mesh inner, I assume you will be pitching quite high up?
Totally agree with April,
All mesh inners are useless in the UK  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy