Author Topic: Pennine Way for the over 60's  (Read 126771 times)

vinny

Pennine Way for the over 60's
« on: 14:21:21, 30/09/14 »
Been reading the forums on the Pennine Way and its my turn next year. I thinking possibly April, between Easter and May bank holiday, looking at 15/16 day walking. I’ve read lots of your blogs and its made me look forward to it even more.  
I retired in 2012. Always liked walking but as they say, I didn't have that much time to do things like that.  
I did a lot of walking around Clwydian range of hills and got talking to fellow walker doing the Offa’s Dyke path and I said to myself thats for me. I did that in 11.5 day in 2013 and the Coast to Coast this year in 12 days I’ve done other hikes between 2 and 5 day so I think I’m fit for my age. Now to my  questions,      I’ll be 69 in May next year, should I be looking at doing the walk over a longer period of time? In all your experience of walking the Pennine way can i do it? I've read the Trailblazer guide book the 4th edition by Stuart Greig and I’ve got the maps and good a navigation. I do B&B and   don't do baggage transfer.    

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way for the over 60's
« Reply #1 on: 17:03:39, 30/09/14 »
From the sound of your level of fitness you should be fine ... I did it when I was 60, using b&b's and no baggage transfer

http://penninewayat60.blogspot.co.uk/
Where there's a will ...

Diamond Backpacker

« Reply #2 on: 22:30:50, 30/09/14 »
When backpacking the Pennine Way in 21 days in 2004 I saw a lot of very tired B&B walkers. Reading your post I think I would allow a few more days. It’s a constant slog and in bad weather parts are very challenging. Contours.co.uk and Macadventure have a B&B upper limit suggestion of 20 days. Financially for B&B walkers it must be tempting to limit the days but having walked all the national trails I do feel the Pennine Way deserves not to be rushed.  One or two days off during the walk should also be considered. It would be a shame not to finish because you were over ambitious.
« Last Edit: 09:09:18, 01/10/14 by Diamond Backpacker »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:56:51, 01/10/14 »
Have to say I didn't find the PW a 'constant slog'.  More of a delightful walk through some lovely parts of our country.
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:19:05, 01/10/14 »
Well Vinny, I beat you be a month, I will be 69 in April next year. In January I am doing the Spine Race along the PW, with 7 day time limit. Of course that is extreme, I know and wouldn't suggest attempting that as a walking holiday.
However I have walked the route twice in the last few years in 9.5 day S - N, and 8.5 days N - S. backpacking with tent etc.
I would think that anyone who can manage the C2C in 12 days, could manage the PW in 16. I think 21 days, as some people do it, would be breeze for you.
Stay active - Stay alive.

vinny

« Reply #5 on: 15:47:15, 01/10/14 »
Thanks for all the advise,  I will take it all on board when I get round to the final draft,  
Sussamb I’ve read your blog and i was going to split the last 25 miles in to two but after reading your blog, I’m thinking of splitting between Greenhead and Billingham. with a 6 mile walk to Once Brewed would be like having a rest day.

Slogger. You must be fit. Thank for the advise plenty of time for changes.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:42:44, 01/10/14 »
I did the Pennine Way three years ago (or was it four?) North to South. Did the first stage in one go, a bit long but as long as you have water, should not be a problem. Fairly easy going, my memory is that there is no Lake District type mountains to worry about, just a couple of steepish hills to slog up and over. I did it over 14 days I think, carried my rucksack and tented (easy to find sites) on all but two nights. Mind you, I did have good weather. I have just recently hiked from Keld to Edale, camping over 7 nights and noticed it hasn't changed much. The section that always annoys me most is that when approaching Edale from the north, the last mile is uphill! I am 70 in April so if you are not burdened with ill health and poor quality feet, ankles and knees just go for it!

vinny

« Reply #7 on: 12:54:58, 02/10/14 »
Thanks Youradvocate, for you advise I always have water. I got a Sawyer water filter before I did the Coast to Coast last year and it helped a lot, didn't need to carry as much water so that cut down on the weigh.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:59:47, 02/10/14 »
Cheers. If I remember correctly, there are no water sources between Kirk Yetholme and Byrness? I carried 2L and still ran out before I finished this stage, it was a very hot day. I now carry a water filter and have used it more than once, a good addition to my kit.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:08:41, 02/10/14 »
Plenty of water when I did that part ... problem was it was either pouring down on me or I was walking through it  ;D
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:58:56, 06/01/15 »
As a recent "recruit" to the over 60s club; I have decided I need to do the Pennine Way before the legs fail me ( the feet are showing signs of revolt). Just started planning and thought I would let the 50th anniversary stuff pass then go late May/early June ( plus I need to limber up after an enforced LDW free 2014).
Couple of questions; possibly for Sussamb. I am not in any real rush but 15/16 days seems logical. The itinery seems to plan itself until you get to Greenhead on this sort of pace. How would you/anyone split it up after that with the benefit of hindsight? With one exception you seemed ok with your B&B choices?
I tend to walk LDWs alone as my mates are generally younger and still have jobs/holidays to contend with; but I had at the back of my mind starting a thread to see if anyone(s) wanted to follow a similar itinery and possibly joining up to walk legs together if (a) the weather was down and/or (b) the terrain of any leg justified it. I have not ventured north of Keld on the route. Having done a number of 10 day C2Cs and ODPs solo I just wondered if the start or finish of the PW justified this?

Regards

John

forest view

« Reply #11 on: 23:28:15, 06/01/15 »
Hi all for what its worth the average age of Pennine wayers is slightly older  than the average LDWer having chatted to thousands of Pennine wayers the reason seems to be that other walks fit into a two week summer holiday from work, while the average time for PW is about 16-19 days so a huge amount of folk `save it for retirement`. This is a generalisation of course we have had PWers from 8yrs old right through to a group of 6 walkers whose average age was 78. 
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:35:33, 07/01/15 »
Couple of questions; possibly for Sussamb. I am not in any real rush but 15/16 days seems logical. The itinery seems to plan itself until you get to Greenhead on this sort of pace. How would you/anyone split it up after that with the benefit of hindsight? With one exception you seemed ok with your B&B choices?

Yep, happy with the b&b choices I made, if you need further detail on them (phone numbers etc) just pm me.  From Greenhead the only change I'd make is to split the Cheviots into 2 chunks, it's a long final day and if the weather is bad (as it was for me) it can be knackering.  My evening in KY was slightly spoiled, as was the trip back, as I was still suffering a bit with exhaustion.  The added benefit is then 2 nights of Colin and Joyce's hospitality at Bryness  :)
Where there's a will ...

pathcruncher

« Reply #13 on: 08:18:40, 07/01/15 »
Hi Vinny,

From the walks you’ve done in the past, and the time that it has taken you, you could be OK with 15/16 days.

I walked my Pennine Way at 65 and did it in 17 days, but in challenging condition it was touch and go.

I would heed the words of Diamond Backpacker and give yourself a walk to remember.

Nice to hear that other walkers avoid the baggage transfer; I like to know that in case of an emergency I have everything I need  O0

vinny

« Reply #14 on: 10:41:21, 07/01/15 »
Like you Johnyp, I've had 9 months off walking. Did my back in doing the Coast to Coast last April so this is the testing month for me to see if it hold up. If all goes well I'll be booking for a 15 April start, depending on B&B's, its the Malham and Hoton B&B's, must be 2 night on Friday Saturday, I'll have to see how it goes. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy