Author Topic: Laminated OS maps vs Map case  (Read 2788 times)

Jim Parkin

Re: Laminated OS maps vs Map case
« Reply #15 on: 22:27:28, 17/10/20 »
Thanks

Think my best option is to buy a Harveys 1:40,000 map and see how it is (or maybe find a shop where I can see one - any recommendations as to Stockists?!)?

Cheers

Outside in Hathersage have them. As do at least some Cotswolds.

They also do a 1:25k versions covering the same area.  I've often found that they're better than OS maps for tracks on the ground, and sometimes also fences.

And a difference between a maintained and a derelict wall is often very useful.

Eyelet

« Reply #16 on: 09:46:15, 18/10/20 »
You could also visit the Harvey Maps website and download their pdf catalogue which contains decent sized examples of their mapping at different scales along with a list all the products available.

The on-line BMC shop also has good prices if you are a BMC member, but a restricted offering. The Dash4It website is offering a 20% discount on all Harvey Maps.

It also appears that if you download the free Avenza Maps app you can then download a couple of free samples of Harvey mapping of the West Highland Way and the North Downs Way to have a look at the cartography.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #17 on: 22:22:01, 03/11/20 »
You could also visit the Harvey Maps website and download their pdf catalogue which contains decent sized examples of their mapping at different scales along with a list all the products available.

The on-line BMC shop also has good prices if you are a BMC member, but a restricted offering. The Dash4It website is offering a 20% discount on all Harvey Maps.

It also appears that if you download the free Avenza Maps app you can then download a couple of free samples of Harvey mapping of the West Highland Way and the North Downs Way to have a look at the cartography.

My daughter borrowed one of my Harvey's maps for a moorland leader's course she'd got funding for, and that prompted me about another nice feature of the Harvey's maps. The contour lines are visible if you're using red light. Unlike OS Maps, where they're completely washed out.  As I said before, I prefer the Ultramap to the mountain map - which I think has redundant information (No, I don't need you to colour code shade the elevation - because that's what contour lines are for, and the colour coding makes it harder to see other information that is more useful, like the colour of the contour line to show whether it's grassy or rocky) And just in general - less is more.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:35:31, 03/11/20 »
I once made the mistake of printing of an IGN map with the relief shading turned on.  Not a good idea in mountains - too much black
Solvitur Ambulando

Jim Parkin

« Reply #19 on: 18:23:08, 05/11/20 »
I once made the mistake of printing of an IGN map with the relief shading turned on.  Not a good idea in mountains - too much black

Ha - the thing that converted me to Harvey's maps was staying in Glenbrittle SYHA just below the Cullins. With the (then) black shading for rock outcrops, the Black Cullin area looked like a spider's orgy.

JazzMan2018

« Reply #20 on: 21:46:46, 08/11/20 »
Hi,

Bought the XT40 map of the Peak District

Seems good so far - not taken out yet but nice and small but still has all the details needed

Cheers

Jim Parkin

« Reply #21 on: 22:23:40, 08/11/20 »
Hi,

Bought the XT40 map of the Peak District

Seems good so far - not taken out yet but nice and small but still has all the details needed

Cheers

I think you'll like it. And a lot more handy in wind than a full-sized map

Jim Parkin

« Reply #22 on: 22:43:56, 08/11/20 »
My daughter borrowed one of my Harvey's maps for a moorland leader's course she'd got funding for, and that prompted me about another nice feature of the Harvey's maps. The contour lines are visible if you're using red light. Unlike OS Maps, where they're completely washed out.  As I said before, I prefer the Ultramap to the mountain map - which I think has redundant information (No, I don't need you to colour code shade the elevation - because that's what contour lines are for, and the colour coding makes it harder to see other information that is more useful, like the colour of the contour line to show whether it's grassy or rocky) And just in general - less is more.
20201108_222757 by jimmypippa, on Flickr
20201108_222717 by jimmypippa, on Flickr

Showing the difference between my Harvey's 1:25k and OS 1:25k maps of the Cullin

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy