Author Topic: Laminated OS maps vs Map case  (Read 2786 times)

JazzMan2018

Laminated OS maps vs Map case
« on: 21:27:59, 11/10/20 »
Hi,

Getting back into hillwalking/wild camping after a long break

First trip, I took a map & no case - it ended up getting fairly rain damaged!

Second time, I used a map case but I needed to re-fold the map on-route. At the time it was windy and raining so the map still got fairly trashed

What are peoples views on investing in the laminated maps that OS sell? I know they cost a bit more but might actually end up being cheaper/more practical in the long run?

Thoughts/experiences welcome

Thanks

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Laminated OS maps vs Map case
« Reply #1 on: 21:55:26, 11/10/20 »
Print the relevant parts of your map off on to A4 paper.  Either print the map double sided or place 2 sheets back to back at a time in an A4 plastic wallet as used for filing.  Leave the map at home or if you must take it, put it in a plastic bag in your pack.  The wallets can be folded into 4 and kept in a trouser or jacket pocket until you need it.  I used to number each sheet in the corners in the order I was likely to need them.  (Note: used to, I rarely carry a map at all now as I prefer the electronic solution).
That way, not only can you mark you route up on the map with notes if needed but at the end of the day the used maps can be thrown in the recycling for filed away for use again while your map stays pristine. Wallets are dirt cheap and last multiple trips even when repeatedly folded.
Solvitur Ambulando

JazzMan2018

« Reply #2 on: 22:37:41, 11/10/20 »
Hi,

Thanks

Sorry, but what sort of wallet do you mean?

I like to have access to a wider scale map in case I decide to change route due to weather/tiredness/injury - agree your idea means I can keep a full map in reserve!

Cheers

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:13:38, 11/10/20 »
Hi,

Thanks

Sorry, but what sort of wallet do you mean?

I like to have access to a wider scale map in case I decide to change route due to weather/tiredness/injury - agree your idea means I can keep a full map in reserve!

Cheers

E.G. https://static.theworks.co.uk/images/5052089151956_Z.jpg

A4 sheets should be enough for most detours.  Bear in mind, if you print maps off, you can also enlarge or reduce the map as required.  It does not have to be to scale, you still have the km grid squares for estimating distance. Major replanning might require a full map, so keep it safe and dry, just in case. You can also write on the printout without mucking up the map.  Preplanned escape routes for example or bearings, that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: 23:19:07, 11/10/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

JazzMan2018

« Reply #4 on: 11:21:37, 12/10/20 »
Hi,

Thanks - I got a code with the OS paper maps, for a digital version - is using this the simplest way to print a section off, as you suggest?

Cheers

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:27:19, 12/10/20 »

In order of preference

- ViewRanger with OS mapping / OS Maps on your mobile device
- Print off sections of map onto waterproof paper (laser printer best for this)
- Laminated/waterproof maps
- Print off sections of map to laminate yourself in document wallets
- Map in case
- Paper map

Rarely find myself bringing a paper map with me any more when on the hill, perhaps I'll leave one in the car before setting off but I'm 100% over trying to re-fold a map in exposed conditions.  Worth the extra few quid for the laminated ones or investing in a waterproof case for your phone and using that.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:24:58, 12/10/20 »
I tried printing off onto laminated paper - marketed under the name of Toughprint and still available AFAIK.Trouble was while the paper was waterproof my printer ink wasn't and it was quite expensive - that is why I switched to wallets - a far cheaper approach.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:37:59, 12/10/20 »
I largely agree with what has been said so far.   I guess it depends on what is available to you cheaply what commercial maps are available off the shelf and how often you walk a particular area.  For example for Bodmin moor OS publish two neat small laminated maps at 25k that cover the entire moor.  I walk there frequently, so they are tucked away in my rucksack along with my emergency bivi. Just in case I get caught out with very poor visibility, as can happen quickly as the sun drops, even on a beautiful evening out on the moor.

For Dartmoor, much larger area than Bodmin moor. I have, over past years, printed out then laminated maps on A4 at various scales, that cover the entire moor. These are far easier to both carry and use than folded paper maps. From my home made library Just pick the sheet I need for the area of the moor I plan to walk that day.

A similar if more bespoke approach works pretty much any where.  So prior to a visit to New Zealand, I printed and Laminated maps of all the off piste areas I thought we might walk. Four A3 sheets did the trick and took up next to no room and weight in my pack.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:57:49, 12/10/20 »
Hi,

Thanks - I got a code with the OS paper maps, for a digital version - is using this the simplest way to print a section off, as you suggest?

Cheers
I use the OS website or Garmin BaseCamp to print off maps.  In each case, you can add a line showing your intended route.
If you just want a map, Bing Maps ( https://www.bing.com/maps/ ) also gives a printable OS map but there is a bit of clutter in the page in the form of a notes box and an overview map.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jim Parkin

« Reply #9 on: 19:32:36, 12/10/20 »
If they're available, I tend to use the Harvey's 1:40k ultramaps - I've used the Central Peak District one to navigate across the Kinder Plateau - so it's pretty reasonable.

They fold up to about the size of a smartphone, and three cover the Peak District.  They're also printed on polythene, so are waterproof and because of their size, I fit them in a trouser pocket

https://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/Ultramaps-p1.html

JazzMan2018

« Reply #10 on: 19:35:04, 12/10/20 »
Hi,

Thanks everybody

I was standing in the pouring rain and strong winds, having just come down from Mam Tor, trying to get my paper OS map refolded to show the rest of my route and thinking "I don't need this"!!!

I don't want to go digital, probably due to nostalgia - I like a map/compass/watch way of navigating so think I will print off sections of the map & either laminate or put in a plastic folder & carry the whole OS map for back-up

Cheers

Eyelet

« Reply #11 on: 11:03:37, 17/10/20 »
I agree with most of the above comments. As I hate round-the-neck map cases and have also trashed maps in a single wet/windy outing, I have been using laminated OS maps for years now. The original laminated OS maps were produced by a company called Chartec, based in Hope in the Peak District in the 80's. I still use a few of them of them but the heavily used ones eventually tear or delaminate after many years of use and abuse, so I think they are good value for money if you want a carry a whole map and worth the investment.

Another solution to the lamination issue is to buy a roll of "self-adhesive book covering film". This allows you to cover virtually any size of map e.g. three A4 sheets side-by-side as it is a metre wide. Sandwich the map between two rectangles of film cut with a small overlap to tuck back and chamfer the corners. It is also good for covering whole maps, such as those foreign ones printed on soft paper that otherwise tear far too easily.  A4 and A3 maps are easy to laminate. Large maps are a bit more tricky to do without creasing the film and using an assistant helps.  The film is relatively soft and flexible, so you can still crease and fold the original map and secure it with a rubber band.

BTW If you are going hiking in France, IGN now produce 1-25k TOPO maps printed on plastic film for many of the mountain areas.
« Last Edit: 19:51:05, 17/10/20 by Eyelet »

JazzMan2018

« Reply #12 on: 19:21:39, 17/10/20 »
Thanks

The Harveys ultramaps (?) someone mentioned look good. Laminated and 1:40,000 scale so quite small size

Only minor issue is my Silva compass doesn't have a roamer in that scale but sure I can work round that - probably use the metric ruler eg 1cm = 400m on the ground

Eyelet

« Reply #13 on: 19:41:25, 17/10/20 »
Harvey maps certainly have their devotees and are printed on polyethylene rather than being laminated paper, just bear in mind that the cartography is different see: http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8237.15#:~:text=Succinct%20difference%20between%20Harvey%20and,rights%20of%20way%20and%20tracks. O0

Harvey will be happy to sell you a 1:40k scale romer for £2.00.

JazzMan2018

« Reply #14 on: 22:14:25, 17/10/20 »
Thanks

Think my best option is to buy a Harveys 1:40,000 map and see how it is (or maybe find a shop where I can see one - any recommendations as to Stockists?!)?

Cheers

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy