Author Topic: 4x4 vehicles offroad in Lake District National Park  (Read 1579 times)

Skip

• Veteran Member
"Judge dismisses appeal against decision to allow 4x4 drivers to use off-road tracks"

A worrying development IMO. What do you think?

Full story here

* Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere on WF
Skip

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: 4x4 vehicles offroad in Lake District National Park
« Reply #1 on: 17:49:55, 24/08/20 »
At the risk of upsetting some by giving my opinion...  ;)

I read the whole article and can see nothing unreasonable in the decision. I thought the arguments in favour of allowing off-road vehicles made sense, while some of the arguments against seemed somewhat contrived (Pollution? Don't huge numbers of walkers, etc. drive to the area for their own recreational purposes anyway?).

Of course, I don't walk in the Lake District, so I've no vested interest either way. I do however occasionally stand aside for motorbikes and the occasional 4x4 on trails such as the North Downs Way and I don't mind one bit.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:53:52, 24/08/20 »
The Tilberthwaite Road in the article has been re-laid with a smooth layer of slate chippings (the southern half, at least), hardly much of an off road challenge.

Can't say that I am too excited by this decision in its own right, rather more by the ongoing [censored] of the LDNPA - they should have been the ones bringing the challenge, if anything.

Edit - Oops - it would appear that I have been auto censored - didn't know that [censored] l e s s n e s s was a swear word!

Edit 2 - oh, for pity's sake! I'll post the meaning of the word instead, and you can try to guess what it is! Although you won't be able to post it!

worthlessness due to being feeble and ineffectual. worthlessness, ineptitude - having no qualities that would render it valuable or useful.

Edit 3 - I blame Father Jack (clue)  :D
« Last Edit: 18:00:01, 24/08/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:50:20, 24/08/20 »
Edit 3 - I blame Father Jack (clue)  :D

oh f? e? c? k?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:10:46, 25/08/20 »
oh f? e? c? k?

I thought Richard meant DRINK  ;) 

I hope hope the LDNPA will at least limit the numbers by using TRO's. There wasn't much of a problem with these green lanes being open to vehicles until the businesses started using the green lanes for the adventure days out. The number of vehicles now cause a lot of grief to the residents here and when we have walked here in the last few years we noticed a fair few 4x4's on the green lanes, more than before. As Richard says now the tracks have been repaired it is hardly a challenge for those people with the money to pay for these things, most of them with no concept that what they are doing is ruining people's lives and work, one farmer has been driven out by all of this. As a walker I have never had a problem with 4x4's passing me on a green lane but what the residents have said about what has been happening in this area, something should be done to restrict the use of the green lane, IMO.

Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #6 on: 08:42:09, 25/08/20 »
Found this YouTube video of off-roading at Tilberwaite a while back.  The video clearly shows the state of the road before it was re-laid. It would be a real shame if it ended up like this again.

Fast forward to 2:50 to see the problems the 4x4s caused.

https://youtu.be/N0y1sixW_M8

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #7 on: 08:53:17, 25/08/20 »

Talking of off-roading in the Lake District, this is a great little film shot in 1939 which shows an Austin 8 driving the passes.

https://youtu.be/2jHyutfRo1g

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:05:08, 25/08/20 »
Found this YouTube video of off-roading at Tilberwaite a while back.  The video clearly shows the state of the road before it was re-laid. It would be a real shame if it ended up like this again.

Fast forward to 2:50 to see the problems the 4x4s caused.

https://youtu.be/N0y1sixW_M8

Good grief - down to bedrock!

Maybe if it has all been filled and re-surfaced with slate chippings, then then the route will become unattractive to the commercial guys.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:10:00, 25/08/20 »

Couple of years ago the old coach road below Clough Head was in a similar state to that shown in LL's first video - I dropped into the ruts and some of them were head height.  Last time I was there, which I think was December last year, it had been fixed, but I was staggered at the damage caused.  As April says, there are now businesses exploiting this - look at LL's video - one in particular in the orange 4x4s advertise heavily both within and outside the area.  Not sure what GLEAM will do now, an appeal will be expensive and would need another round of crowd funding I would imagine - but I hope they do go for it, as well as opening dialogue with the LDNPA about seasonal closures etc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy