Author Topic: Whernside/Ingleborough circular walk Mon 17th August 2015  (Read 11977 times)

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite walks :) . Starting and finishing at Ribblehead, it takes in two of the Y3P peaks, plus Simon Fell and Park Fell. Walked with Shaun Lee, with whom I have tramped several hundreds of miles in the last 3 years.

Travelled up from Grimsby early Monday and we were off and walking by 8.40am, on an absolutely glorious day. Perfect viability, hardly any wind, and pleasantly warm. From Ribblehead to the summit of Ingleborough we follow the Y3P route and so we headed off towards Blea Moor sidings. This was only my second walk with the bridge camera that I got for Christmas (the first one being this route back in May....I did say it was becoming a favourite walk), so with Shaun giving tips on how to use it, I was getting some practice in and taking plenty of pictures.

Took us ten mins under 2 hours to get to the summit, and, even up top, there was little by the way of wind.....very rare for Whernside.

After the usual Trig point picture, and 20 mins sat in the sun, we headed off back down. They are continuing to do work on the path coming down from Whernside, and more of it seems to be paved each time I go. Still that very steep, tricky bit to negotiate though. However, reached Chapel Le Dale without incident, with plans for a quick stop at the Hill Inn, only to be greeted by a sign announcing "Closed all day on Monday's".

Considering that there were several other people (about 7) in a group, who arrived not long after us, plus another chap who we met on his way down who said he was heading for the pub, the landlord must be losing a fair bit of trade this time of year.

So, publess, we headed on and began the approach to Ingleborough, stopping for lunch at the limestone outcrops just before Humphrey Bottom, and the start of the climb. After a slog to the base of 'The wall' and a steady climb up it, we finally reached the final approaches to the summit plateau.

The para gliders provided some distraction on the way up too :)

And so onto the summit plateau, and a wonderful view from the top (for a change)

Leaving the summit behind us we started to cross Simon Fell. Looking back gave us this rather good view of where we had just been :)

Having crossed Simon Fell, we went up and over Park Fell, with a steep descent back down from there, to regain the road about half a mile from Ribblehead. Our record of success with refreshments was not improved by arriving at the tea van five minutes after she had finished serving tea......did manage to get ice creams though :)

A very good days walking. 13.9 miles in total and 2,435 feet of ascent.

Got the full Y3P in a fortnight, so good to get out and have a look at the route, or most of it (did PYG the next day).

« Last Edit: 15:23:26, 20/08/15 by Andy Broadley »
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos Andy

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Good stuff O0
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

karl h

• Veteran Member
Cracking pics Andy O0
Nice to see Shaun out and about ( oh, and you as well ) ;D

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
We were laughing about the time we did the group walk on this route, and we were slipping all over coming down whernside, and the sight of John flying through the air desperately trying too catch his flask of tea :D

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
Great two days walking, was good to be back on the hills .................great photos Andy  ;) ;) ;D ;D O0 O0
www.catchlights-photography.com

Everything in Life happens for a reason

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Great photos Andy   :)

April

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos Andy  O0
Hate will never win

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Hi Andy  -  great photos with your new camera. I've passed Ribblehead but have never climbed any of the hills there. Would any of the forum members on this section not consider coming to the Glencoe meet next month?
I'm sure you would love the walking here Andy and I know April has been up this way...........would be great to meet up.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
Ok, so it seems I can't take credit for the pictures. These are ones taken by Shaun😁. I'd given him the SD card from my camera and thought they were what he'd posted. Turns out that these are from his camera.😮

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
Re: Whernside/Ingleborough circular walk Mon 17th August 2015
« Reply #10 on: 22:06:14, 20/08/15 »
Andy, here are some of your photo's. You took some good pics mate, you've got yourself a good Bridge Camera.   O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:35:13, 20/08/15 »
Lovely pics both of you. Anyone would think Shaun knew summat about cameras  ::) .  Well done and good luck with "the real thing" in a few weeks  O0

I've only got Whernside left to "bag" now out of the Y3P  :)

... then I make a start on the nationals  :D 

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:56:01, 21/08/15 »
Lovely pics both of you. Anyone would think Shaun knew summat about cameras  ::) .  Well done and good luck with "the real thing" in a few weeks  O0

I've only got Whernside left to "bag" now out of the Y3P  :)

... then I make a start on the nationals  :D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:43:54, 21/08/15 »
Would any of the forum members on this section not consider coming to the Glencoe meet next month?
I'm sure you would love the walking here Andy and I know April has been up this way...........would be great to meet up.

It is an amazing place Sparnel. We already have plans that weekend in the Lakes (campsite booked) and hoping for nice weather. I hope you all have a wonderful time  :)

Ok, so it seems I can't take credit for the pictures. These are ones taken by Shaun. I'd given him the SD card from my camera and thought they were what he'd posted. Turns out that these are from his camera.

:) 

Great photos Shaun and Andy  O0 

Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:39:49, 21/08/15 »
Nice to see the older folks getting about O0
lovely shots. O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy