Author Topic: Wild camping near Bellever  (Read 6472 times)

taxino8

Re: Wild camping near Bellever
« Reply #15 on: 07:54:20, 10/06/20 »
I don't know about roads, but...

It's not advice, it's currently forbidden.
I will not be wild camping until the guidance has changed but can you point me to where it says it’s actually illegal?
There is Guidance and then there is the Law.
I believe that the staying away from home, which is the Wild Camping bit, is in the Guidance but I’m not sure if it’s actually illegal.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:06:11, 10/06/20 »
I will not be wild camping until the guidance has changed but can you point me to where it says it’s actually illegal?
There is Guidance and then there is the Law.
I believe that the staying away from home, which is the Wild Camping bit, is in the Guidance but I’m not sure if it’s actually illegal.

From the .gov website. The use of the word 'cannot' is crucial here, this is not just guidance, and is underpinned by the law, which gives the Government the power to restrict movement during the pandemic.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

You cannot:
  • stay overnight away from your own home, except for in a limited set of circumstances, such as for work purposes
  • WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #17 on: 08:12:00, 10/06/20 »
    ...can you point me to where it says it’s actually illegal?

It's not illegal of course, a mistake still often inexcusably made in the press. The linked page from the Dartmoor Park site is stating the 'official' position with regard to CV rules and guidelines that may be enforced by the police.

Come to think of it, I don't know the legal status of this and similar CV rules. Most have adhered to them for the greater good and the police have taken action in many cases, but there have been questions about the extent of such powers.

Edit: Ah, I see Richard has provided more detail. Also by "not illegal" I meant generally, before CV hit us.

« Last Edit: 08:18:12, 10/06/20 by vghikers »

taxino8

« Reply #18 on: 09:02:38, 10/06/20 »
    From the .gov website. The use of the word 'cannot' is crucial here, this is not just guidance, and is underpinned by the law, which gives the Government the power to restrict movement during the pandemic.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

You cannot:
  • stay overnight away from your own home, except for in a limited set of circumstances, such as for work purposes
  • [/l]
  • Thanks Richard but it hasn’t clarified it for me as I believe this is FAQ’s on Guidance.
    I’ve read that a lot of fines issued by the Police have subsequently been withdrawn on advice of the CPS because people were only breaking the Guidance and not the actual Law which is laid out in Act of Parliament.

It’s confusing and I’ve been looking myself for an answer but so far have only managed to confuse myself more.
    I’m not looking for loopholes, I’m genuinely interested in whether it is actually illegal or just contrary to the current Guidance as I see a lot of misinformation on the Internet with people saying things are legal or illegal without actually quoting the relevant Law.
    [/list]

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #19 on: 09:17:52, 10/06/20 »
    As I stated in my post, it is the use of the word 'cannot' that is key here, this is a legal 'cannot' rather than guidance, as used in many other regulations (for instance, Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Air). I have looked at the legislation and it is more about giving power to the Government to introduce the necessary measures to combat Coronavirus, rather than the measures themselves.

PS - I'm no lawyer, so take all of this with a large pinch of salt.  :)
    WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

PeterDevon

vghikers

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #21 on: 11:23:48, 10/06/20 »

taxino8

« Reply #22 on: 11:30:14, 10/06/20 »
    https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/enjoy-dartmoor/outdoor-activities/camping
    Thanks but it says Government Advice, advice is different to the Law.
    I accept the advice and won’t be going until it changes but as I’ve said it’s very confusing as advice is just that and carries no real weight.
    A prime example is the two metre self distancing advice. Look what went on in London and other Cities over the weekend and the Police were quick to point out that they couldn’t do anything with people not adhering to the two metres as it was “only” advice.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy