Author Topic: Backpacks (Advice).  (Read 4048 times)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Backpacks (Advice).
« on: 21:08:54, 09/01/07 »
Am looking for a backpack to do  the west highland way with as i only got a 35litre one at the moment. But not sure on which one to buy I've seen a few but undecided which one to buy I've seen a north face, macpac, Osprey and Lowe Alpine. As am only a very small build I've try ed a Osprey which fitted me great and was a womens fit as most backpack are either small med and large which where too big for me i would like some advice on which are comfortable and a good fit also it needs to be lightweight HELP!!!. THANKS WG.  ;D :-\
« Last Edit: 22:53:24, 09/01/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

The Bear

Re: Backpacks (Advice).
« Reply #1 on: 16:40:37, 10/01/07 »
Hi just joined the forum, I do a lot of backpacking. The packs you have mentioned are for carrying quite big loads. Check out this link.
http://www.peewiglet.com/backpacking.htm [nofollow]
Shirley does a lot of LDP'S and has loads of info on the gear she uses. There are also some links to other Backpackers. Also why don't you check out Backpackers Club, www.backpackersclub.co.uk [nofollow]

Be good out there

The Bear

HIKINGUK

« Reply #2 on: 20:28:55, 17/01/07 »
Hi! I did the WHW with a 25ltr berghaus freeflow! Depends how you are doing it, backpacking needs a bigger sac, B&Bs etc need a smaller sac. The trick is, be ruthless with your gear! get it all together in 3 piles, absolutely necessary, maybe you need it, luxury's. Chuck out the luxury's, decide if the maybe's COULD go in the absolutely necessary's, then chuck them out! My Pack weighed in at 24lbs to include 1 days food (Youth Hosteling) The above mentioned sac is to be recomended. It comes in bigger sizes than 25ltr & the have brought out a newer model recently so the older ones maybe had for reduced price. Check out the sales online! Also think about lighter gear, heavy waterproofs can weigh up to 5/6lbs & thats dry! I use a Paramo Fuera smock & pants for all but winter conditions, very light & pack very small, but I won't go into that discussion, no doubt others have & will! Enjoy the walk, it's fabulous!

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 01:01:36, 26/01/07 »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I got a Osprey Ariel 55 tryed out the other day and fitted really well very comfortable round the shoulders and hips.  Got all my kit in it.  The only down side to this is that my sleeping bag took up most of the room.  ;D :)
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:00:26, 26/03/07 »
Have you looked at Cumulus sleeping bags?

nice and cosy and could fit in one of your boots. ;)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy