Author Topic: Llanberis walks query  (Read 4102 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Llanberis walks query
« on: 20:09:09, 15/05/17 »
I'm planning my first Wales trip in July, staying in Llanberis. Snowdon is the main target but was wondering what other walks I could do in this region? I prefer mountain walking to forests and am limited to public transport routes. I climb mountains on sunny days and walk valleys on cloudy days. I don't like narrow ridges and prefer a walkers path on any hills and mountains. Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks, Henry

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Llanberis walks query
« Reply #1 on: 09:59:32, 16/05/17 »
If you are blessed with fine clear weather, Llanberis is a great location for the inclusion of some remarkable alternatives other than Snowdon.
The beauty of Snowdonia, is that everything is extremely compact, and just about all the classic area, are within very easy distance of each other.

As this is your first trip to Snowdonia, i suggest you invest in a copy of John Gillham's superb books titled "A Pictorial Guide to The Mountains of Snowdonia"

There are four in the series, and the one with Snowdon in it, is volume 2 the western Peaks.

Most of us here could spend hours advising you on the best walks in and around Llanberis, but reading a copy of John Gillham's books will give you so many ideas on a walk, and there are some stunning photographs to wet any new walkers appetite to this area of North Wales.

Good luck, and cross your fingers for nice settled weather.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:32:38, 16/05/17 »
The first thing that sprang to mind when I read your criteria was a walk of Moel Eilio and its companion peaks from Llanberis that we did late last year. It's a circular walk and offers great views of Snowdon in particular but also in all other directions. The route is straightforward to follow with no narrow ridges,  and is on predominantly broad grassy slopes and then along a valley byway to make your way back into Llanberis.

No automatic alt text available.

The alarming-looking warning symbols are (top left) "marsh", which we never noticed on the ground, and (bottom right) "scree" but you are on a managed path at this point so I'm not sure what that's all about!  ;D

I'd be more than happy to send you the GPS route if required.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:41:56, 16/05/17 »
An ascent of Snowdon, but first taking in the Moel Elio ridge, is a magnificent outing.
There is nothing technical or difficult about the route, though it might be a bit tiring for some less experienced walkers, as the decent of Moel Elio to the start of the Snowdon ranger path is steep, with a relentless steady climb up the Snowdon Ranger path to the top of Snowdon.

On a nice cloudless day in July, this would make a memorable first excersion up Snowdon, certainly one to remember, and access to Moel Elio is far quiter than the Llanberis Path.

Depending on your fitness level, it would be a great introduction to Snowdonia, and for the majority of the walk, you would see very few other walkers.

John Gillham gives a great account of this area in his Western Peaks Vol 2 book pages 62- 67.
« Last Edit: 19:44:57, 16/05/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:57:05, 19/05/17 »
Thanks very much for this information folks. I was thinking of an A to B walk over Snowdon starting from Pen Y Pass and descending to Llanberis where I'm staying. My ascent route will be via the Miners track or Pyg track and my descent route will be the Llanberis path. Are these routes straightforward enough? If the weather is good in July over a Saturday/Sunday could these routes be potentially overcrowded with hundreds of walkers? Also, are there any other walks from Pen y pass? Thanks, Henry

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:38:46, 20/05/17 »
Henry. I''m sending you a PM

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:23:45, 20/05/17 »
Henry, I regularly park my car in Llanberis and get the Snowdon Sherpa (bus) to Pen y pas and cross Snowdon by one of several variations.
You could ascend Snowdon by the PYG track, Miners track (maybe include a scramble up Cribau?) or even over Crib Goch. Descent can be by the the Llanberis path (obvious choice), or, if you want to avoid the crowds, go down the Snowdon Ranger path and include Moel Cynghorion. If you're feeling particularly energetic, adding Foel Goch, Foel Gron and Moel Eilio makes a brilliant day's walking.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:52:22, 23/05/17 »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. My next question concerns low level walks for rainy days. I'm aware of a circular walk around Lake Padarn from Llanberis. Does anyone know of any other low level walks? Thanks, Henry

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:05:24, 24/05/17 »
There's this which is a bit different but with a lot of interest.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/weatherman-walking/walks/Llanberis.pdf

When I had a wet morning when staying in Llanberis i went to the Slate Museum (free) until the rain passed then I walked through the old quarry down to Nant Peris. The museum isn't boring but good AV presentation, slate splitting demo and lots of antiquated machinery working.

You can go to Electric Mountain for a tour of the hydro - underground.

If all fails, there's a good variety of pubs.  ;D

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:28:02, 24/05/17 »
Thanks Penygadair. Can I ask if you've ever climbed Foel-goch or Y Garn from Nant Peris? Is there anything technical or is the route straightforward? I'd like to avoid scree paths. Is it possible to obtain these summits and avoid scree? Thanks, Henry

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:03:13, 25/05/17 »
Sorry Henry. Haven't done it so can't advise. Perhaps someone else will come in.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:21:20, 25/05/17 »
Thanks Penygadair. Can I ask if you've ever climbed Foel-goch or Y Garn from Nant Peris? Is there anything technical or is the route straightforward? I'd like to avoid scree paths. Is it possible to obtain these summits and avoid scree? Thanks, Henry
Took my daughter's dog round that route 5 years ago. Don't recall anything technical such as scree on the way up. Seem to recall it was a bit steep coming down after Cwm Padrig. There was a bit of a chimney at one point but I think it can be avoided, the dog did anyway. Perhaps someone with a more recent memory can enlighten you.
Solvitur Ambulando

DK

« Reply #12 on: 10:46:21, 26/05/17 »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. My next question concerns low level walks for rainy days. I'm aware of a circular walk around Lake Padarn from Llanberis. Does anyone know of any other low level walks? Thanks, Henry

The lovely little Crimpiau from Capel Curig, Cwm Tryfan and Llyn Idwal make for good rainy day walks and worth a trip out for  O0
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:39:05, 26/05/17 »
Thanks everyone; can I ask if it is possible to walk from ByCoed to Capel Curig, using a sherpa bus service to ByCoed to start with?

DK

« Reply #14 on: 11:04:31, 27/05/17 »

Not a difficult walk Henry and it is worth bagging Elidr Fawr as well, wonderful views on a good day! Tried to post a route map but the file is too large but if you google the walk then I'm sure plenty of route maps will be ot there...
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy