Author Topic: Thermal Leggings  (Read 1967 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Thermal Leggings
« Reply #15 on: 21:11:44, 23/02/20 »
GWM, If you do get yourself a pair of ladies stockings, how are you going to hold them up? Or are you really more interested in a nice lacey suspender belt?

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:17:02, 23/02/20 »
I sometimes wear leggings under my Paramo trousers.Fairly cold days - Primark leggings pinched from daughterVery cold days - Marks and Spencers thermal leggings or some Aldi ones which are partly merino wool, but the M&S ones are more comfortable.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:17:52, 23/02/20 »
Thoughts? (on thermal leggings, not perverse pleasures  :D  )
GWM is going to buy some ladies stockings. Thermal leggings or perverse pleasure? You decide.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 23:40:45, 23/02/20 »
GWM is going to buy some ladies stockings. Thermal leggings or perverse pleasure? You decide.
He will look very fetching walking round Madeira in his shorts and fishnets.  It might be a good look with the rain skirt though.  Shouldn’t be short of an offer of a lift!
Solvitur Ambulando

zuludog

« Reply #19 on: 05:04:34, 24/02/20 »
Over the years I have worn various long johns - wool, silk, and synthetic
Besides adding insulation under trousers I sometimes wear them in my sleeping bag or as pyjamas in youth hostels

Years ago a friend recommended silk long johns & top because "wearing silk underwear is like being constant;y fondled"

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 06:34:58, 24/02/20 »
I’ve occasionally worn leggings under my walking trousers, but it was very very cold at the time. Must be years since I’ve needed them, as we just don’t get the cold Winters now. I’m usually warm enough anyway, especially at the pace I walk! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 08:43:32, 24/02/20 »
Years ago a friend recommended silk long johns & top because "wearing silk underwear is like being constanty fondled"

This thread gets worse!

Seriously now, it appears that our friend Gunwharfman mistakenly referred to stockings when he really meant tights, or what our transatlantic cousins call pantyhose, and I have heard they are often worn for warmth by outdoors workers, anglers, and so on.

I carry thermal longjohns and long-sleeved top when backpacking, when I wear them almost exclusively as sleepwear in my sleeping bag, and just occasionaly on the chilliest mornings I keep them on until I'm ready to start walking.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:07:01, 24/02/20 »
This thread gets worse!

Seriously now, it appears that our friend Gunwharfman mistakenly referred to stockings when he really meant tights, or what our transatlantic cousins call pantyhose, and I have heard they are often worn for warmth by outdoors workers, anglers, and so on.
No, he clearly meant stockings. Read his post again.

MudMagnet

« Reply #23 on: 09:29:41, 24/02/20 »

Yes sometimes too much of a difference. You start off fine but as the day warms up you can get quite warm. But in the winter gales their very nice.

Have a look at some cycling leg warmers.  3/4 length to cover thigh to upper calf.  no issues with extra layers on feet or bottom.
Wiggle do some very good own brand ones.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:22:46, 24/02/20 »
I meant stockings, that is, items that just grip the upper thighs, tights to me are ones that are pulled up to one's waist. As a bloke maybe my terminology may be wrong? Since writing in I've hopefully found what I am looking for online. They are two separate stockings (legwarmers?) which grip the upper thigh and finish at the ankle, I didn't want feet to them because that would mean taking my boots off to get them off. I hope I've chosen correctly, its sometimes a problem when choosing somethings online, they look like what I want but will not know for sure until they arrive. I bought 2 pairs for just under a fiver, unfortunately they are coming from China so whether they will arrive or when I just don't know yet. If they are going to be useful to me this spring and summer its because I may feel the need to wear them when I'm tucked up in my sleeping quilt on a cold night.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 10:32:52, 24/02/20 »
I have Icebreaker Merino top and bottoms (thanks wifey x) for sleeping in when camping. 

Although I do have some dedicated winter walking trousers (Montane Super Terra), I often wear normal weight trousers with a pair of Long Johns underneath, such was the case yesterday, I chose to wear my normal ME Ibex trousers with a pair of  Montane Primino Long Johns underneath. 
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:42:07, 24/02/20 »
For serious winter conditions, I wear Ron Hill 'Tracksters' as my base layer, then Helly Hansen fibre pile salopettes, topped off by Berghaus Deluge overtrousers (+ gaiters for snow, of course).

Absolutely bombproof.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:36:33, 24/02/20 »
I am in the proper trousers camp.  I have lighter ones for summer and lined trousers (Craghoppers) if it is really brass monkeys.  In exteremis, my Paramo trousers can go on over them but often I just wear the Paramos directly over my shreddies.  They are a good choice as the legs can be unzipped to cool off without dying of indecent exposure and they keep the rain/snow off too.
Her Majesty gave me a natty green long johns but I only ever wear those under my salopettes for skiing if the temperature is minus a double digit integers with a substantial breeze.  In my submarine days I was also given a cream set of LJs  - the only use i got out of them was cleaning the car.
Solvitur Ambulando

Lee R

« Reply #28 on: 19:48:04, 24/02/20 »
I have several pairs of long johns. I'll sometimes wear them if it's minus degrees outside when walking under my trousers - It does depend where I'm going & what I'm doing. If I know I'm going to be stood around a lot waiting for sunrise, taking photos, etc then definitely!! I also occasionally wear them under in work too. The workshop can get pretty cold at times!!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:38:44, 25/02/20 »
Strider - cheers, glad to know they do seem to make a difference.

Owen - you can get hold ups that don't need a suzzy belt  ;)

Islandplodder - also cheers, I might end up checking out the M&S ones as their stuff fits me pretty well.

Percy -  ;D   :D

Ninthace - I now have this image in my head ...

Zuludog - does your "friend" still wear the silk stuff then?

Sunnydale - same here.  My legs (muscles) don't get cold when I'm walking, but my skin feels the cold wind.  It's an unpleasant contrast.

Fernman - I fear your attempts to offer Gunwharfman a viable escape route out the hole he's dug himself into have failed  ;D

Percy - see above!

Mudmagnet - interesting idea.  I may look into that further.  Cheers.

Gunwharfman - looks like you've found your solution.  Either that or you're not going to update us with how you got on in the lingerie department..

Bhod - I take it winter trousers negate the need for thermal legs underneath?

Richard1905 - I have worn my waterproof overtrousers to block the cold wind before but ended up overheating....perhaps it wasn't cold enough (beast from the east).

Ninthace - a submarine guy eh?  That explains a lot  ;)

Lee R - haha, luckily I work in a nice centrally heated office but, yes, standing around in the cold is no fun.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy