Author Topic: Wearing a Woollen Hat  (Read 2758 times)

myxpyr

Re: Wearing a Woollen Hat
« Reply #30 on: 10:37:06, 29/02/20 »
With that head gear you will be positively encouraged to visit the Lake District. Perhaps you will be entitled to a grant?
:2funny:

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 15:19:08, 29/02/20 »
fernman, I'm shocked that you know that.

Why, I remember reading it in The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsaratt about sixty years ago.
I wonder how you know it?

lightweightmick

« Reply #32 on: 15:59:23, 29/02/20 »
Best hat I have ever had is made from an old pair of black tights that my daughter threw in the bin - I list it as 'tights gusset hat' - very effective and only 19 gms!
I can also wear it under my bike helmet as it's thin.

When it eventually wears out (had it for years now) I could look a bit suspicious perusing the girls tights section for a replacement though...
If you want to try it - just cut gusset off and sew along cut line!
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 17:38:21, 29/02/20 »
Why, I remember reading it in The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsaratt about sixty years ago.
I wonder how you know it?
I had no idea were it was from I thought it was a joke that, in some circles, is as well known as 'my dog's got no nose'.
I work in theatre which possibly has a more eclectic workforce than some places.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 20:54:06, 29/02/20 »
Best hat I have ever had is made from an old pair of black tights that my daughter threw in the bin - I list it as 'tights gusset hat' - very effective and only 19 gms!
I can also wear it under my bike helmet as it's thin.

Must come in handy for robbing banks too  :D

I work in theatre which possibly has a more eclectic workforce than some places.

That explains it. There must be a number of theatrical types who've read it in different places  ::)

lightweightmick

« Reply #35 on: 23:19:46, 29/02/20 »
Must come in handy for robbing banks too  :D
No, it doesn't cover my face...  :P - if it did it would be too heavy lol
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 13:09:35, 01/03/20 »
'With that head gear you will be positively encouraged to visit the Lake District. Perhaps you will be entitled to a grant?'

Please explain, I don't get it?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 15:51:49, 01/03/20 »
'With that head gear you will be positively encouraged to visit the Lake District. Perhaps you will be entitled to a grant?'

Please explain, I don't get it?

I think this was a rather clumsy attempt to suggest it would look like wearing a burka and the LDNPA are trying to increase diversity in the Lake District.

myxpyr

« Reply #38 on: 17:44:50, 01/03/20 »

I think this was a rather clumsy attempt to suggest it would look like wearing a burka and the LDNPA are trying to increase diversity in the Lake District.

I know that on my last trip to the Lakes I passed several blokes all of whom were tanned, had big bushy beards and wore army camouflage clothing :-\   Draw your own conclusions

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 17:58:48, 01/03/20 »

I know that on my last trip to the Lakes ....

Trip report?  Piccies?

Let's have this topic back on track before any further judgmental, prejudicial comments cause it to be locked or deleted, yes?  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 18:03:31, 01/03/20 »

Sorry Mel I am ignoring you.

I know that on my last trip to the Lakes I passed several blokes all of whom were tanned, had big bushy beards and wore army camouflage clothing :-\   Draw your own conclusions

I draw 2 conclusions from you post myxpyr.
One of which is that, as I have also noticed, the walking community is getting more diverse. I have definitely seen more non-white faces over the last few years which, as someone who has often noticed how few people who are not white, middle-aged and male there were, makes me very happy.

myxpyr

« Reply #41 on: 18:07:27, 01/03/20 »
Sorry Mel I am ignoring you.

I draw 2 conclusions from you post myxpyr.
as someone who has often noticed how few people who are not white, middle-aged and male there were, makes me very happy.
::)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 18:29:45, 01/03/20 »
myxpyr - that's enough now.

Back on topic please.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 18:46:01, 01/03/20 »
Sorry Mel  :(  it was my fault too but I couldn't let it go.

I do have a headband with ear covers which I used to wear to go running but have rarely taken out on a walk.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 19:23:28, 01/03/20 »
I do have a headband with ear covers which I used to wear to go running but have rarely taken out on a walk.
Do hats like being taken on a walk?  I took my hat to the zoo once and it wasn't the least bit grateful.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy