Author Topic: MSR vs. JetBoil coffee presses  (Read 716 times)

spenthompson

MSR vs. JetBoil coffee presses
« on: 15:27:08, 28/03/20 »
MSR and JetBoil both make coffee press accessories for their stoves. Has anyone tried *both* of them to compare? I can only find reviews on one or the other which makes it difficult to compare.

lightweightmick

Re: MSR vs. JetBoil coffee presses
« Reply #1 on: 00:11:26, 31/03/20 »
MSR and JetBoil both make coffee press accessories for their stoves. Has anyone tried *both* of them to compare? I can only find reviews on one or the other which makes it difficult to compare.
I'm intrigued... by 'coffee press' do you mean some sort of cafetiere..?
Been experimenting with grounds in the thermos myself, which would work with any stove. Makes a good coffee too - and keeps it hot. Problem is what to do with the grounds after in the great outdoors..? I'm thinking a simple net bag would be a good way to go?
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

spenthompson

« Reply #2 on: 01:47:03, 31/03/20 »
I'm intrigued... by 'coffee press' do you mean some sort of cafetiere..?
Been experimenting with grounds in the thermos myself, which would work with any stove. Makes a good coffee too - and keeps it hot. Problem is what to do with the grounds after in the great outdoors..? I'm thinking a simple net bag would be a good way to go?

Yes indeed a cafetiere attachment, like so: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jetboil-Coffee-Press/dp/B01LCDJH0C [nofollow]  . You can find it for a tenner - still a lot for what's effectively a bit of plastic but worth it for a good brew in my opinion. I'm not a full-on coffee snob but I refuse to drink the instant stuff. I agree that a thermos is probably the best solution in general, but what I like about the MSR/Jetboil extension is that it doesn't add any additional weight/volume to your pack.

Good question re coffee grounds. I assumed that as it's biodegradable organic matter it would be fine to leave them somewhere discreet, but on reflection it probably isn't great for animal and insect life. Best to carry it out.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:10:08, 31/03/20 »
Problem is what to do with the grounds after in the great outdoors..? I'm thinking a simple net bag would be a good way to go?
You do carry a small trowel or alternative don't you?

Coffee grounds are readily and easily composted.

So a cat scratch dump the grounds into it and cover.

That amount is not going to give any lasting effect on the natural acidity of the ground.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:13:46, 31/03/20 »
£14.70, wow!!!

I'd use a tea strainer if I wanted ground coffee on a hike.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:20:42, 31/03/20 »
£14.70, wow!!!

or use a coffee bag and carry it out.
Too little, too late, too bad......

spenthompson

« Reply #6 on: 11:32:53, 31/03/20 »
£14.70, wow!!!

As mentioned above you can find it for £10. I know it's still overpriced though! Tea strainer is a good shout but not quite the same IMO.

I should clarify: I don't currently use a stove of any sort - to save weight I just use a meal replacement powder plus trail mix etc. I personally wouldn't carry a stove just for food - my main motivation is actually the coffee! In fact I wasn't even considering buying a stove until I saw that they make cafetiere attachments. Weird I know, but there you go.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:33:43, 31/03/20 »
My wife watched me type my entry and has told me that I don't need to have a tea strainer due to my lifelong habit with hot drinks. She's right of course, she's always right!  ::)

When I was a child Mum always made tea with loose tea leaves and I quickly learned that to avoid getting the leaves in my mouth I just need to leave a small amount of fluid at the bottom of the cup.

I still do that today and I do it when I drink tea made with tea bags, ground coffee, instant coffee, and hot chocolate, etc, in fact, I do it when any hot drink is in front of me.

Its a habit I've never been able to break. I gave up smoking, I gave up eating meat and I gave up owning a car, all very easy to do when compared to trying to stop me from leaving a small amount of tea in the bottom of my cup.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:36:42, 31/03/20 »
Didn't even know that such things existed. :D

..but then I don't even bother taking a stove whilst wild camping.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

spenthompson

« Reply #9 on: 11:38:29, 31/03/20 »
or use a coffee bag and carry it out.

I'm so-so on coffee bags. Definitely not as good as pressed coffee, although definitely more practical and economic from a camping perspective.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:33:37, 31/03/20 »
I'm so-so on coffee bags. Definitely not as good as pressed coffee, although definitely more practical and economic from a camping perspective.

You need to get the right coffee. Taylor’s of Harrogate Hot Lava Java (strength 6!) works pretty well in bags. We also use the ground version at home. These are normally available from Tesco, often with a discount.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:48:20, 31/03/20 »
I am most definitely a coffee snob, won't use instant and definitely won't use a flask for me brew.  I have the jetboil version and it works as good as any cafetiere, I also have an MSR mugmate which I prefer to use on day trips especially if I'm using the Jetboil for soup/reheating food etc  Both have their pros and cons, it's all a matter of preference. 

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

lightweightmick

« Reply #12 on: 14:39:37, 31/03/20 »
As mentioned above you can find it for £10. I know it's still overpriced though! Tea strainer is a good shout but not quite the same IMO.

I should clarify: I don't currently use a stove of any sort - to save weight I just use a meal replacement powder plus trail mix etc. I personally wouldn't carry a stove just for food - my main motivation is actually the coffee! In fact I wasn't even considering buying a stove until I saw that they make cafetiere attachments. Weird I know, but there you go.
Sir, I salute your addiction!  O0 - I'm with you on the tea strainer...

Imagine my dilemma with a thermos...

That Jetboil affair looks weighty... (though more stable in wind than my flimsy setup by the looks of it)

Here's my lightweight hot drink solution (as I like my trailside cuppa):

Gas 100 size (tare 75g)... 185g (full - could be much less for day walks)
Stove (Titanium).........      25g
Pan(Dogfood size).......        8g
Bowl(ex.Snackpot)......      18g
Matches (w/proof sealed)..  5g
 Total............................. 241g

In use here from 1:43: (...'best coffee stop ever' at Innominate Tarn) - though this was using a 'Pocket Rocket'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrWxQ8hDwl0&t=11s
(good views, though a bit windy...)

My current technique is to use a piece of old tights over the top of the flask as a filter - needs a quick-tilt pour as it dribbles everywhere otherwise... (thinking a fine mesh bag would be better, which could be squeezed and hold dryer grounds...)
« Last Edit: 15:06:11, 31/03/20 by lightweightmick »
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy