Author Topic: Packable insulated jacket  (Read 1184 times)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Packable insulated jacket
« Reply #15 on: 12:25:14, 01/04/20 »
Hi,
I'm looking for a packable synthetic insulated jacket for the missus' birthday.

I have in mind Montane Pheonix and mountain equipment fuse jackets.
I've found both for around the £100 mark. The montane doesn't have a stuff sack, but looks maybe a bit nicer?
Any experience with these?

I have the craghoppers compresslite 3 which you can get very cheap, it's OK, but think I want to get her something better. It isn't really that amazingly warm and the outer material isnt the best.

Try taking a look at the Montane Icarus Flight - pretty good 3-season belay jacket and you can use it as a mid for winter use when it's freezing.  Love my Mountain Equipment Fitzroy when it's horrible weather and I need to put an extra layer on which I know does the business, but it's not very practical for everyday walking - and too warm for actually doing much in it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:32:06, 01/04/20 »
Thanks to those on the Forum I learned and now accept something about hiking and jackets that I was hazy about before. Synthetics are better than Down. I proved it to myself when hiking on La Palma, down jackets are great for when one is standing around and needing to stay warm but they don't cope well with sweaty walking times. For that my Alpkit synthetic jacket and my windproof are far superior.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #17 on: 10:38:21, 02/04/20 »
Montane Prism for me in cold weather; or a Paramo gilet if just chilly - both usually stay in my pack until I stop.
Dave

Ronin83

« Reply #18 on: 19:34:57, 02/04/20 »

Try taking a look at the Montane Icarus Flight - pretty good 3-season belay jacket and you can use it as a mid for winter use when it's freezing.  Love my Mountain Equipment Fitzroy when it's horrible weather and I need to put an extra layer on which I know does the business, but it's not very practical for everyday walking - and too warm for actually doing much in it.

The icarus is the mens version of the phoenix. I don't know why companies use different names for mens and womens

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy