Author Topic: Treadmills: A world of walking without leaving home!  (Read 2672 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Treadmills: A world of walking without leaving home!
« Reply #15 on: 12:57:54, 02/04/20 »
How do you simulate the effects of altitude?

Is that a serious question? Obviously you don't, but the guide talks about it and shares his experiences of walking/climbing at altitude.

(After lunch I'm going to walk around Istanbul, so no altitude issues there...)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:17:02, 02/04/20 »
Out of interest, what is the maximum simulated gradient?  We have roads round here at 33%
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:48:11, 02/04/20 »
Is that a serious question? Obviously you don't, but

Yes it's a serious question, climbing Kimbo walking Machu Picchu the major problem is altitude. It's such an issue it totally dominates everything. You can't really simulate doing either without taking altitude into consideration.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:01:34, 02/04/20 »
Out of interest, what is the maximum simulated gradient?  We have roads round here at 33%
Our treadmill has a maximum gradient of 12%.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:06:56, 02/04/20 »

Yes it's a serious question, climbing Kimbo walking Machu Picchu the major problem is altitude. It's such an issue it totally dominates everything. You can't really simulate doing either without taking altitude into consideration.

You can't really simulate rocky terrain on a treadmill either, but I still enjoy using it.  :)

Right, let's go and explore Istanbul...   8)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:10:21, 02/04/20 »
Our treadmill has a maximum gradient of 12%.
This from my walk a week ago might confuse it then, especially as it was downhill.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:25:58, 02/04/20 »
This from my walk a week ago might confuse it then, especially as it was downhill...

No, the treadmill wouldn't be confused, it would be level if I went downhill and raised 12% if I went uphill.

Of course in real life I might go up a 33% hill at 2mph or less, while on the treadmill I'd continue on at 4mph or more. So while the treadmill incline might be less, the rate of doing work might be comparable. It is a simulation after all...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:29:17, 02/04/20 »
I actually go down 1-in-3s slower than I go up them - its a knee thing  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:55:44, 02/04/20 »
I actually go down 1-in-3s slower than I go up them - its a knee thing  :)
Me too, much slower... at the moment it's a shin thing!  :(

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:56:47, 02/04/20 »
The plan for today was to try out some examples of different types of iFit's video-based walking activities.

Having done beach and mountain walks which were very different, but shared a focus on exercise, I wanted to try a leisurely stroll with the focus being on culture. My wife and I visited Istanbul a few years ago and did a cultural tour, so I decided to revisit the city for a treadmill tour...

To save me trying to remember where my guide, Salih, took me, here's the iFit description: "...an immersive tour of Old City in Istanbul, Turkey. He’ll show you Gulhane Park, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Grand Bazaar, Basilica Cistern, Istanbul University, Suleymaniye Mosque, and an overlook of the Bosphorus—all while teaching you about the rich history of this beautiful city." Strangely, the Hagia Sophia isn't mentioned, but I remember seeing it!

The tour lasted nearly an hour-and-a-half and was exactly what you'd get on a real tour. Okay, I couldn't ask questions, but apart from that...

Because this was a leisurely stroll, the pace (typically 2.5mph) felt too slow at first. I bumped up the speed to 3.6mph thinking I'd get through the tour in an hour - until it dawned on me that my speed wouldn't affect that of the guide, so I let him set the pace and I soon got used to the sight-seeing speed.

This was a very different kind of activity and I enjoyed it greatly. Istanbul is a fascinating city and I learned a lot about the city's history and culture from my Turkish guide.  :)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:10:48, 02/04/20 »
I looked on the Nordic Track website and there are versions that do +40% gradient and small negative gradient.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:16:42, 02/04/20 »
I looked on the Nordic Track website and there are versions that do +40% gradient and small negative gradient.
So for a steep descent just face the other way and put it into reverse?
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 22:40:39, 02/04/20 »
That would be NordicTrack's 'incline trainers'. I'd have quite liked one, but my wife is the main user and she doesn't like hills.  ;)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:06:29, 03/04/20 »
I promise not to go on about my treadmill activities ad infinitum, but I've got unfinished business on Mount Kilimanjaro...  ;)

I did a longish real walk this morning so I decided to do just the one simulation today, albeit quite a long one. I chose the second-to-last stage of the Kilimanjaro hike, which is described as the Arrow Camp Endurance Hike.

Yesterday, when browsing the treadmill manual I realised that we hadn't calibrated the incline slope. And now having done it, I discovered that the maximum ascent was a fair bit steeper than before. The climb lasted 55 mins, was relatively steep the entire way and it took me to the rim of the summit crater.  :)

The crater rim - at about 18,500ft:

What I really like about the system is that it's more than just exercise. Despite the altitude, Jake talked the whole time and I learned a lot about Tanzania as well as getting expert advice on walking at altitude in freezing conditions (not that I'm very likely to do much of that at my age).  :)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:08:19, 03/04/20 »
That would be NordicTrack's 'incline trainers'. I'd have quite liked one, but my wife is the main user and she doesn't like hills.  ;)

I assume that they can also be operated with no incline as well?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy