Author Topic: Help me lose weight!  (Read 2268 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Help me lose weight!
« Reply #15 on: 09:56:06, 22/06/18 »
..and it would appear that decent sub 1kg sleeping bags don't come cheap either!

Then don't get a decent one  :D

Get a cheap one. You can get a 10C comfort/ 5c limit bag weighing under a kilo for £30 or less.

300g+ weight saving for £30 ain't bad.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:00:29, 22/06/18 »
I use a down sleeping quilt, no back and no hood, so very light and will roll up very small. Not cheap though.

zuludog

« Reply #17 on: 11:51:54, 22/06/18 »
Hello Richard, it looks like you & I are in a similar position, along with a few of my friends
We have all done long & hard days in the hills, in all weather, but now we are content to do lower level walks in reasonable conditions/3 seasons

One of the problems we have (perhaps that's the wrong word; considerations might be a better choice) is that we have acquired a fair amount of gear, much of which has become reliable, old favourites; it's tried & tested and it all works very well
Interestingly, we have all found that the base weight (gear but no food or water) comes out very similar at around 9 or 10 kg. In that respect you're doing OK

To get this base weight any lower we must accept that we must spend some money on new gear. The problem is that we can't afford to simply splash out on a completely new load of gear, so where's the best place to put it?
You are doing a cost benefit analysis, either mentally and without realising it, or you could even whip out the calculator and do it that way. As you have guessed, you will quickly find out about the Law of Diminishing Returns!

I can see 3 areas where you could save weight -

Tent. I have used an Ultimate Tramp 1, which is similar to the Jetpacker; a Laser Comp 1; and an Akto. But I wanted something a bit bigger, so recently I got an MSR Hubba NX 1; this is excellent, well made & strong. If you can't afford that, look at the Naturehike Cloud range
But be careful when choosing a tent. the makers know that we pay a lot of attention to the weight, and will do all sorts of tricks to confuse us  - stripped weight, minimum weight, not including pegs/bags/guylines, or just the bare minimum of pegs. This might not be illegal, but IMO it is definitely sharp practice

The next stage is to look at things like tarps & single skin tents, but they only give useful weight savings if you use trekking poles
You could try using just the flysheet of either of your tents.

Sleeping bag. you say you like your existing bag, but really, you can get a decent bag at less than 1kg. As you are willing to wear clothes inside, this would also help you consider a lighter bag. but shop around for the best prices

Clothing. Your pile jacket is probably too heavy. Have a look at these narrow channelled quilted jackets, in synthetic (do they have a proper name? I'm sure someone will enlighten me)
I use a microfleece top; a Polartec 200 jacket; and a Polartec fleece 200 body warmer

I tried going stoveless a couple of times, but found that although I was OK with cold food, I missed my coffee in the morning, and tea in the evening.
Look at a very small titanium stove, like the Alpkit Kraku, or the various ultralight meths burners

Finally, here's a plug for www.backpackersclub.co.uk. I've been a member for over 20 years and find them very friendly & easygoing. Many of the members are of a certain age, and have a lot of knowledge on lightweight gear. The club also gets discount at several retailers

« Last Edit: 11:57:26, 22/06/18 by zuludog »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:36:03, 22/06/18 »

Thanks for the detailed reply, zuludog.

I am not totally unreceptive to the idea of spending money on new lightweight gear, but it is not likely to be happening within the next year. I've just retired and am in what I call a transitional phase, and I want to see how I manage on less money before splashing out too much.

As you say, it is difficult to give up on cherished gear. My biggest wrench in that respect is my Primus Omnilite titanium multi fuel stove. But I'm prepared to give up on this for short 2-3 day forays into the mountains. For longer trips, or if with my wife, I'll take it. If going stoveless doesn't work out, I'll look at a spirit burner + home made windshield. Speedster Stoves ones look good, and are very cheap.

I'm not so attached to my Storm Shield tent; it was bought from Millets as a spare for the kids, but it is actually quite decent; certainly for the £60 that I paid for it - and they threw in one of those (useless) suitcase style gas stoves. Next year I may be in the market for something lighter, and I do have my eye on the Naturehike Cloud series, as I mentioned in an earlier post. One thing that holds me back is the large gap below the fly; this coupled with the predominantly mesh inner could make for a draughty night - especially here in Orkney, or if camping high or in winter. I do note that they do a version with a snow valance.

Flysheet only camping is likely to be a 'no no' for me, one word - midges.

I'm swapping out the heavy fibre pile/fleece jacket for a lighter weight second fleece. Duvets can wait.

The bag I will look at; at home we have a number of cheapo 2/3 season synthetics, but they weigh in at 1.5kg upwards. I'm not inclined to add another to the shelf, so I'll wait until I can afford something decent.

I went on a trial camp last night, and was pleased with my new base weight of somewhat under 7kg. As well as the actions listed in the table in my earlier post, I swapped compass and whistle for lighter ones that I had, and ditched the heavy Swiss Army knife.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

zuludog

« Reply #19 on: 16:13:32, 22/06/18 »
Hello Richard, I just wondered something? Do you wear boots or shoes?

For decades I wore boots on the hills, mainly because I was going over big hills in all weathers, and also because that was the done thing to do

Then fairly recently I was persuaded to try trail shoes. I was doubtful at first, but when I did get a pair the difference and improvement was amazing! - lighter, more comfortable, but still with good grip and no slipping of the shoes on the ground or my feet inside the shoes
Together with some lighter gear I can still enjoy backpacking without being absolutely knackered

I still wear boots in winter or on high hills like the Lake District and Pennine moors, but as most of my walking now is on paths, bridleways, and so on, it's trail shoes every time

Nomad32

« Reply #20 on: 23:49:44, 22/06/18 »
I like the omm mountain marathon 32l pack. It's really light and very functional. I use a neo air thermorest. Mine is full length. I suspect I would shave weight by going 3/4 length but I like the luxury I carry an alpkit 2 season down sleeping bag.. I have a terra nova tent which weighs under 1k and a few titanium pots and a sea to summit spork. With our food and  water I estimate it weighs about 7k I shudder to think what I spent on it all but it's worth every penny on them hills

Nomad32

« Reply #21 on: 03:34:08, 23/06/18 »
Top tip. Beef jerky and pasta n sauce is a great meal. Bring to boil chuck in cozy wait for 20 mins tuck in

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 07:20:34, 23/06/18 »

Hello Richard, I just wondered something? Do you wear boots or shoes?

Interesting question - I have always worn boots - although I have indulged in some light fell running on a few occasions. They are a lightweight pair though - and cheap, from the local agricultural merchants. They seem to do the job, although whilst slogging up a steep slope last weekend I did get the impression that the sole was a little on the bendy side for my liking.

I do tend to seek out some very rough places from time to time (the trackless River Eidart valley in the Cairngorms being an example), so I am inclined to stick with boots. And for winter use, definitely boots.
« Last Edit: 07:32:10, 23/06/18 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 07:29:39, 23/06/18 »

I like the omm mountain marathon 32l pack. It's really light and very functional. I use a neo air thermorest. Mine is full length. I suspect I would shave weight by going 3/4 length but I like the luxury I carry an alpkit 2 season down sleeping bag.. I have a terra nova tent which weighs under 1k and a few titanium pots and a sea to summit spork. With our food and  water I estimate it weighs about 7k I shudder to think what I spent on it all but it's worth every penny on them hills

I can't go below 45 litres on my pack unless I change my tent and sleeping bag; something I'm not financially inclined to do right now (maybe next year, once my retirement budgeting has settled down).

I've probably done all the trimming that I can for now without some fairly major purchases. I'm quite pleased that I have managed to shave over 2kg off my load without spending a penny.
« Last Edit: 07:34:54, 23/06/18 by richardh1905 »

marmottungsten

« Reply #24 on: 11:42:21, 23/06/18 »

After a couple of days of mountain walking with an 11kg pack (9kg without food and water), I have decided that it is time to shed some weight - without spending the pounds.

Storm Shield Ultralite 2 man tunnel tent - 2.1kg. Now I do have a lighter tent, an ancient Saunders Jetpacker, still in good condition, but I just find it too small. And I do like the StormShield; it's a tough well made little tent, despite it's budget price. I've gone through what is in the tent bag, and have managed to save 130g by putting aside spare tent pegs, the repair kit and the pole bag.

Buffalo fibre pile/pertex sleeping bag - 1.3kg. I'm sticking with this; I like it. I have a pair of lightweight fibre pile trousers and some thick but light socks that I wear if it is a bit cold.

Sawn off closed cell Karrimat - 208g. I've just shaved a little more off this so it is now 120cm long. I've had this since 1984!

Cookwear - none! - 0kg. I lugged my Primus Omnilite stove, fuel bottle and titanium pans over the hill last Friday, only to have a disgusting dehydrated meal at the end of the day, when I really couldn't be bothered. And I had a dry early start the next day - breakfast was a sip of peaty water. So I asked myself, as I was walking down the glen back to the car - why bother with a cookset at all? I'll quite happily eat oatcakes, nuts, cheese, dried fruit, kabanos etc instead of disgusting slop. 1kg saved, without spending a penny!

Water  - Two 500ml fizzy drink bottles - 50g. My plastic 1 litre water bottle weighed 140g or so - time for it to be retired. Saving 90g.

Rucsac - Karrimor 45 litre 'Hot Earth' - 800g. I was using a Karrimoor Jaguar 65 litre pack weighing in at 1.8kg. Without the cookset, I have less to carry, so the smaller pack is fine. 1kg saving.

After this, I suspect that it is a case of diminishing returns. I need to look at my spare clothing, and I'll probably swap my metal whistle for a plastic one, and pack a smaller penknife, but I cannot think of much else.

With these saving, I estimate that my pack weight (without food and water) will be somewhere between 6.5 and 7kg.

Suggestions/comments welcome!

Edit - I should add that this is for brief forays into the mountains, rather than plodding up the Pennine Way.

Richard, no one here can help you lose more base weight if are not prepared to compromise and swap more of your heaviest items for lighter alternatives.  It is usually the case that "less weight, costs more", when it comes to camping kit, but if you shop around, take advantage of special offers or sales, or even buy used gear, you might get lucky and be able to replace your heavy tent with a true ultralight version without spending a fortune.
  I would class a true ultralight tent as one weighing less than 1kg, but there are plenty of two person tents around that weight a lot less than that...Swap to a tent that weighs around 800g for instance  and you can automatically shave 1.3kg off your base weight.  Now it's true that a tent like this can cost you up to £400, but there are even lighter 2 person tents out there that are £100 cheaper...The Nemo Spike 2P, for instance.  It weighs only 658g (more than 1.44kg lighter than your current tent!) and it costs around £299.  It is able to be this light by being a design that dispenses with poles, relying on two trekking poles for support instead.
 However, if you are the sort of ultralight hiker that doesn't use trekking poles, because you think they would add too much weight to your kit, then you would probably prefer to use a tarp, rather than a heavier tent that comes with poles.
 Buying a lighter tent online, from the USA or China say, can save you hundreds of pounds, so make sure you shop around.
These ultralight tents will probably pack smaller than your current tent too, so you won't need such a large rucksack/backpack, and that it turn could save you another 200-300g off your base weight.
Your sleeping bag is pretty heavy too, but you have already stated that your are keeping it.  However, if you ever decide to change your mind, then swapping to an ultralight sleeping bag instead, like a 500g Marmot Phase 30 (30F or -1 'C comfort rating), would shave another 800g off your base weight  (it costs from around £320).
Your cooking kit seems very heavy...If you prefer gas, swapping your heavy stove to a BRS3000T ultralight Titanium stove, that weighs only 25g) would save you a lot of weight.  Or use an Esbit ST11.5Ti Ultralight Titanium Solid fuel stove, and solid fuel tablets, can save you even more weight.  I think you should easily be able to halve the weight of your cooking kit.
Also you didn't say what the disgusting slop you reluctantly made was?...With dehydrated foods it is very important to use the correct amount of boiling water when rehydrating them...Too little and they will be too dry, too much and they will turn to slop.  Obviously carrying a measuring jug is out of the question but there is a simple alternative...Buy one or more Ti pots that have fill graduations already machined onto them, so you can't get the fill level wrong.  The Finess City FTM4501 450ml Ti pot, with lid, for instance (available on Amazon).
Even your fizzy drink water bottles at 25g each are heavy...I use Asda, 1 litre, flavoured spring water, PET bottles weighing 29g each...twice the capacity of your bottles for just another 4g in weight!  I picked them because they have a thread that matches the Sawyer Mini water filter, so they can be used as squeeze pouches if my Sawyer pouch ever splits.  I just emptied out the fizzy water they had inside, rinsed them out, took off the lables and they were ready to use.
« Last Edit: 12:28:51, 23/06/18 by marmottungsten »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:25:29, 23/06/18 »

Thanks for the reply, marmot. As I've explained above, serious spending is not an option right now (although it may be in a year's time). I have managed to trim over 2kg through no cost actions, so I'm happy enough for now.

PS - I've ditched the cookset altogether; the ultimate weight saving. :) 
« Last Edit: 15:22:37, 23/06/18 by richardh1905 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy