Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 1997 times)

Pitboot

Gloves
« on: 10:49:08, 02/10/19 »
I decided to treat myself to a new pair of gloves and popped into the Ambleside Alpkit store, I found a pair that fitted well. At the checkout I was told they were on sale too, so I got a bit of cash off.
They were Pola gloves and were described on the packaging as waterproof. When I got home I looked on Alpkit's own website and saw that a buyer had left some negative feedback, so I decided to test the gloves by immersing them, fingers first, into some clean cold water in the sink.
Within two seconds my fingers in the right glove were wet at the tips, and the left glove started letting in water a mere two seconds later but at the base of the fingers/palm area.
Not only that, when I took the gloves off the water had spread by capillary action in the lining so that both gloves were sodden up to the wrist. This after a total of four seconds immersion.

I was not very happy and took the gloves back to the shop, to be fair they gave me a full refund, they offered a replacement set but I declined. I was asked what I had been doing with them, maybe to see if I had broken the terms of their guarantee, but I was honest and told them about the test.

The most annoying part is that I find it difficult to get gloves that fit me, either the fingers are too long, too short, or too tight. Going a size larger means a lot of excess material flopping about. (I've got Sealskinz which are waterproof but they are tight and I can't wear them in winter as they restrict circulation.)

I'm not asking for recommendations for gloves, as it's a personal thing and I'll keep up the search, but it's worth questioning claims for gear advertised by manufacturers.

Here is a quote from the website with the description of the Pola gloves:

"Our softest and most dexterous waterproof insulated gloves for protection from the cold, wind and rain when hiking and hillwalking; lightweight and ideal for autumn, winter and spring."  

(Italics are mine.)  

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Gloves
« Reply #1 on: 11:10:21, 02/10/19 »
How often do you actually immerse your hands in water whilst out walking? I think the only gloves that would pass your test would be rubber washing up gloves, which wouldn't be very comfortable for wearing while out walking.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:22:14, 02/10/19 »
I gave up on waterproof gloves years ago. I now just wear either a cheap pair of thin Thinsulate type gloves, or a thicker pair, or both at the same time depending on how cold it is. I tend to buy gloves for warmth only, but if I like them and they claim to be waterproof I would buy a pair anyway. My warm pair are from Alpkit, they are pretty good, cost about £12 last year from the Keswick shop.

I have 'solved' my problem keeping my hands and gloves dry. I just cut off the sleeves, just below the elbow, of an old Goretex jacket and when its wet I just secure these 'tubes' around my wrists and bingo, dry hands and dry gloves. The important decision when cutting the sleeves was to ensure that the Goretex tubes were about 1" longer than my middle finger. When not in use I just stuff them in my waterproof coat pockets.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:39:39, 02/10/19 »
How often do you actually immerse your hands in water whilst out walking? I think the only gloves that would pass your test would be rubber washing up gloves, which wouldn't be very comfortable for wearing while out walking.

Some of the rain we walk in has pretty much the same effect as immersing your hands in water!

I'm not a glove wearer but a mittens wearer, with a pair of Gore-tex and pile ones that have never failed to keep my hands dry. They are in my rucksack for the six colder months of the year and I used to take them backpacking until I replaced their 179g weight with a pair of Buffalo mittens at 75g. The latter aren't waterproof but Buffalo items are claimed to remain warm when wet and extremely quick-drying. I've improved them, hopefully, with Nikwax TX Direct Spray but I've yet to get them soaked to test the claims. 

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:22:20, 02/10/19 »
I try to be a fair weather walker, since I cannot see the fun in deliberately walking in the rain. However, I am not totally stupid (opinions differ on this fact) and know what the weather is. A few years ago I bought some ski gloves on sale somewhere (either TKMax or SD) , under a fiver and wear them over thin woolen gloves if the weather turns bad on me. Keep them clipped to my shoulder strap if I am on a very long walk or the forecast is for a possibility of rain.
Out of sheer inquisitiveness I just decided to try Pitboot's test. Hey ho no leakage whatsoever  I think that is a result for a cheapskate like me.  :)
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:45:33, 02/10/19 »
I have some Rab gloves which are a sort of neoprene affair with a fleecy lining.  They are, at best shower proof.  HOWEVER (and this is a big however) even if they, and my hands, get wet, my hands are not cold.  The wetsuit effect I think  ???

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:30:37, 02/10/19 »
I think the only gloves that would pass your test would be rubber washing up gloves

Agreed, in fact when I was in a gear shop years ago, that was exactly the straight faced answer I overheard from an experienced assistant when asked advice about a pair of truly waterproof gloves.

We still have our Lowe Alpine mountain gloves for winter, very old now, originally described as waterproof but we always took that as meaning "highly water resistant", they have never been tested in prolonged heavy rain.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:57:27, 02/10/19 »
More climbing related than walking but Andy Kirkpatrick definitely knows his stuff, tells it how it is and is always worth a read on his many outdoor articles.

https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_truth_about_gloves

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:08:58, 02/10/19 »
I can't recommend them too much for water resistance but my winter gloves are fairly runny nose resistant  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:51:20, 02/10/19 »
TMD  ;D
Where there's a will ...

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:29:01, 02/10/19 »
Best gloves advice is to have lots of thin pairs in pockets so you can keep swapping them out. They can be used on their own or as liners to big winter gauntlets.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:49:17, 02/10/19 »
Others here will know I wear PVC gardening gloves over a pair of thin wool gloves.  Cheap as chips and 100% waterproof.

Here you go, yours for 80p a pair.

zuludog

« Reply #12 on: 11:06:41, 03/10/19 »
This is the glove solution I've used for years -

I have a pair of thick close woven synthetic fabric gloves that are fairly windproof & water resistant. Can't remember the make but I'm sure you could find something similar & suitable
I wear them on their own in cool, dry or drizzly weather

When it is more wet, windy, and cold I wear nylon overmitts on top; just a cheap thin pair. Not as popular as they were, but you can still find waterproof nylon overmitts if you shop around

As the overmitts are thin I still have a certain amount of dexterity with my fingers through them

That combination does 3 seasons. When it's really wet & cold in the winter I use proper winter quality mitts

Lee R

« Reply #13 on: 14:50:41, 05/10/19 »
I bought Sealskins last winter. Can't recall which ones but they have the finger/thumb that both open for camera operation etc

We tend not to go out purposely in pouring rain but they've been great for me so far. And I usually get cold hands & feet too!!

Nomad32

« Reply #14 on: 19:44:40, 07/10/19 »
I use a cheap pair of karrimore gloves from sports direct. Keeps the chill of. Clearly not waterproof but i only wear them in cold weather and its all good

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy